Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Any other parts needed for overhaul work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Any other parts needed for overhaul work?

At 261K miles, my car is nearing it's next timing belt change. It also needs another clutch, and a new oil pan gasket.

Since all this work requires essentially removing all 5 mounts, I've decided to just pull the engine out completely and replace everything while the engine is out. I've put together a list of parts to buy for the job, looking to see if I left out anything or if anyone can suggest any other things while I'm at it.

Unless someone has a better suggestion, most all parts will be OEM Honda from Son's Acura.

- Oil pan gasket $20.64
- Front main seal $6.42
- Rear main seal $12.20 (2 part numbers available)
- Timing belt $43.14
- Water pump $100.64
- Tensioner pulley $56.42
- Tensioner spring $3.34 (2 part numbers available)
- Cam shaft seals $4.72 x2
- Valve cover gasket $7.56
- Plug tube gaskets (not listed at Son's for some reason)
- PCV valve (150K on my current one ) $13.28
- CV axle seal left $6.88
- CV axle seal right $8.08
------------------------------------------------------
Grand total from Son's $288.04 + shipping

Other parts:

- Exedy OEM clutch kit $129.73 from Import Replacement Parts (replacing my CM Stage 1 w/ almost 120K on it)
- Friction surface for my CM flywheel $104 from CM (unless someone knows where to get it cheaper)

That puts me at *gulp* $521.77 for everything.

I've also noticed in the past few months that my oil light comes on as normal when I first turn the key to start the car, then sort of flickers for a second before going off completely. Does this indicate that it's starting to go out? An oil pump would be another $136.74, but from what I understand the 98+ Integra oil pump (same for both R and non-R) will fit with slight modification to the lower timing belt cover, and it's less than $100 for some reason. Should I go that route? I guess it would definitely be easier to do it while the engine is out and timing belt is off, but that would send my total well over $600 for everything, and I'm kind of struggling to pay for all this stuff now. I want to get it done before the summer heat gets here, though.

So if anybody has any comments or suggestions on what I'm planning on doing, please let me know.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any other parts needed for overhaul work? (PatrickGSR94)

At that mileage it's no so much the pump as the bearing clearance.A new pump may make enough pressure to turn the light out at idle.It's really time for a real rebuild.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Any other parts needed for overhaul work? (NJIN BUILDR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NJIN BUILDR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At that mileage it's no so much the pump as the bearing clearance.A new pump may make enough pressure to turn the light out at idle.It's really time for a real rebuild.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is that? I still get 35 mpg highway and use maybe 1/2 quart of 5w-30 oil over the course of 3000 miles. I've never checked the compression on the engine, but it still seems to be running flawlessly.

I really don't have the time or money right now for a complete engine internal rebuild. It's my only car, and using my wife's car isn't much of an option with our current schedules, especially with my office about to move from 3 miles from home to about 12 miles in a few weeks.