Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Alternator Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Symptoms?

I know my alternator is on it's way out because my lights dim at idle and by giving it a shot of gas or accelerating the lights get brighter. Also, you can hear the fabled alternator whine. I also read that another symptom of a bad alternator is that your speedometer can sometimes stop working, which happens to me on occasion when I'm ripping it. Is this true? Or is my speedometer issue another problem?

I also get some bogging here and there followed by an occasional Code 43 CEL but I doubt this could be related to alternator issues, could it?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alternator Symptoms?

Man, you do have some problems there. You should get your car checked out.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What car? Memory failed what is 43? Speedo likely seperate issue. If belt is tight and battery passes load test replace alternator.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phootbag
What car? Memory failed what is 43? Speedo likely seperate issue. If belt is tight and battery passes load test replace alternator.
It's a 94 Integra with a 2000 B18B1. Code 43 is a "fuel supply" code. Most people tell me that's likely an o2 sensor or fuel filter. I checked the alternator and battery, battery is fine but alternator is reading 11.8. Time for a change...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing I have found over the years is your charging system must be up to par before troubleshooting other electricals. While it might sound funny at first, understand that electronics are made to work in a specific manner with a specific range of power. If this range of power is not met, then you can get false codes. Hell the code can be right but the part it's reporting on is failing because of improper power.

New alt. then clear the code and see what happens. If it comes back change the fuel filter and check the O2. (don't know if "most people" are right, I would have to do some reading up, been a long time for me to know codes off the top of my head)

EDIT:
Quick look, and it seems Code 43 is generally a heated O2 sensor failure. Pull the O2 sensor and check it out, easy fix and you can find quality replacements on the net for around 75 bucks.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rileyrat
One thing I have found over the years is your charging system must be up to par before troubleshooting other electricals. While it might sound funny at first, understand that electronics are made to work in a specific manner with a specific range of power. If this range of power is not met, then you can get false codes. Hell the code can be right but the part it's reporting on is failing because of improper power.

New alt. then clear the code and see what happens. If it comes back change the fuel filter and check the O2. (don't know if "most people" are right, I would have to do some reading up, been a long time for me to know codes off the top of my head)

EDIT:
Quick look, and it seems Code 43 is generally a heated O2 sensor failure. Pull the O2 sensor and check it out, easy fix and you can find quality replacements on the net for around 75 bucks.
Ya, you're right about improper power range being a big issue with cars. All my mechanics say the same thing and just based on past experience I can attest to that. Oddly enough I haven't gotten the code in a few days now, pretty much since my mechanic scanned the ECU. I'm gonna get a rebuilt alternator in the next week or so and hopefully my little odd symptoms will go away.