Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan?

Will I lose ABS function if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan with ABS?

I'm going to be supercharging our 1999 Honda Civic EX Sedan w/ABS and auto trans. I decided that it would be good to convert the rear drum brake system to a rear disk brake system so the car would then have 4 wheel disk brakes. The thing is, I can't afford to lose the ABS function. If the drum to disk conversion would mean that I would lose ABS, then unfortunately I would have to pass on doing it.

Can anyone tell me what the status of my ABS would be if I do this conversion? Anything special I would need to do to retain ABS?

Also, right now I'm talking with a few forum members who have rear disk setups for sale that I'm considering for my needs. Would the rear disk setup from a particular model and/or year be better for my vehicle?

Here are the rear disk packages I'm considering right now:
1. Full 4-lug Rear Disk Conversion from a 2000 Si, (cables are uncut).
2. 94 GS-R rear disc conversion.
3. 95 GSR Rear Disc Brakes rear disk conversion.
4. GS-R (model year unknown) rear disc conversion.

Supposedly any of the 4 component packages would allow me to do a straightforward rear drum to disk conversion on my Civic. Is that correct? Would one of these be better for my conversion than another? Should I look for any specific rear disk conversion for my 99 Civic (not listed above)?

Besides the rear mechanical parts and cables, what other brake system parts should I consider installing with this conversion? Will my stock brake system be able to handle the 4 wheel disk brake without needing any other parts upgrade (like master cylinder, brake booster, etc.)?

I believe that my Civic being the EX version has the larger front rotors than other Civics of the same year. What 4-lug Rear Disk Conversion parts would have similar sized rotors as my front ones?

I’m sorry for asking so many questions, but I did a search of the forum and it didn’t turn up any posts that answered my questions. If you could answer any one of my questions (I don’t expect one person to know all of the answers to my numerous questions), I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me and if someone would prefer to email a response to me, my email address is (my forum name here)@aol.com.

(edited to add)
I'm running 15" wheels/tires on my car if that makes any difference to possible recommendations on the rear disk parts best for my car.

Modified by Randolphjo at 12:14 AM 8/8/2005
Old 08-07-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan? (Randolphjo)

Maybe I should try to ask my primary question another way:

What year/make/model of car should I buy the complete rear disk brake assembly (that would be a straightforward and uncomplicated conversion) in order to keep the ABS function on my Civic?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan? (Randolphjo)

Does anyone know if I can keep the ABS function if I do the rear Drum to Disk brake conversion? Or who I could call to find out? Thanks.

Modified by Randolphjo at 8:33 PM 8/8/2005
Old 08-09-2005, 06:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Randolphjo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will I lose ABS function if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan with ABS?

Modified by Randolphjo at 12:14 AM 8/8/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are swapping factory abs rear discs from another Honda product make sure that the same abs system,sensors, and plugs are used on both vehicles. This is about as good of an answer I can give you for that and I can not say it will 100% work. Your best bet is to ditch the ABS system if its such a headache unless you tow a trailer in the snow alot with your civic or some other off the wall issue that would make ABS really useful.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Randolphjo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Besides the rear mechanical parts and cables, what other brake system parts should I consider installing with this conversion? Will my stock brake system be able to handle the 4 wheel disk brake without needing any other parts upgrade (like master cylinder, brake booster, etc.)?

This will all depend on the model of Honda you source the system from or which aftermarket system you choose. With the aftermarket systems send the companies e-mails asking questions about completeness of their kits. With the used systems get a parts list from the seller and compare the Chilton's manuals at your local library too make sure all the parts are covered between the two systems. As far as "master cylinder, brake booster, etc." you should be fine with the stock equipment. There are companies that make parts that will increase pressure within the limits of the factory set-up that you can find on the internet if you find there is not enough braking force for your needs after the new set-up is installed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Randolphjo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe that my Civic being the EX version has the larger front rotors than other Civics of the same year. What 4-lug Rear Disk Conversion parts would have similar sized rotors as my front ones?

If you just want the same size rotors measure your fronts and find a kit that comes with the same size disc or is compatible with another aftermarket disc the same size. Make sure swept area stays within engineered parameters or your asking to drop way more cash to re-proportion just to look pretty.

Hope some of this helps, good luck with the conversion.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:42 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan? (2nd_Squad)

Until this very moment, I had no idea that none of the ABS Civics from 96-00 came with rear discs.

Chances are that all you will have to do is plug in or wire-up your new rear disc ABS sensors, and it will work perfectly. Just make sure your rear disc swap comes from a car that had ABS. My rear disc swap had the sensors, but they were cut where the trailing arm would connect to the LCA. This is probably where you would have to splice your new Sensors in.

Before you do any cutting, make sure the rear drum sensors aren't the same. Otherwise, you will be doing a bunch of work for nothing. If they are the same, just attach your old sensors to new brake assembly...
Old 08-09-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan? (2nd_Squad)

Originally Posted by 2nd_Squad
If you are swapping factory abs rear discs from another Honda product make sure that the same abs system,sensors, and plugs are used on both vehicles. This is about as good of an answer I can give you for that and I can not say it will 100% work. Your best bet is to ditch the ABS system if its such a headache unless you tow a trailer in the snow alot with your civic or some other off the wall issue that would make ABS really useful.
Yeah, I do have a special need for ABS. We live in San Francisco and the streets are often wet from fog, rain, and many other kinds of moisture. Some of the streets are very steep and to make matters worse, the metal cable car tracks embedded in the streets can make braking kind of interesting when the streets are wet - especially down hill on a steep street making a turn. Many times some drivers in the city decide at the last minute that they want to make a left turn when they are in the right lane, so you have to sometime hit the brakes hard to avoid rear-ending them. There are other reasons too, but the ABS has saved us from several accidents and there is no way the lady and I will have a car here without ABS.

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Until this very moment, I had no idea that none of the ABS Civics from 96-00 came with rear discs.
Yep. I wanted 4-wheel disk brakes but found out that they weren't available on the 1999 Honda Civics - not even the EX model that we purchased. In 1999, with the Civic models, only the Civic EX trim had ABS - which is why we bought it over the other trim packages.

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Chances are that all you will have to do is plug in or wire-up your new rear disc ABS sensors, and it will work perfectly. Just make sure your rear disc swap comes from a car that had ABS. My rear disc swap had the sensors, but they were cut where the trailing arm would connect to the LCA. This is probably where you would have to splice your new Sensors in.

Before you do any cutting, make sure the rear drum sensors aren't the same. Otherwise, you will be doing a bunch of work for nothing. If they are the same, just attach your old sensors to new brake assembly...
Thanks for the advice here. I do have a manual for our car on CD, but I'm having to look parts up on the Internet for other cars that I'm researching for the rear disk conversion.

The SI is out because as far as I can tell, they didn't come with ABS so I'm looking at '94 and later GSR's as a source for the parts. I haven't been able to find the specs for the GSR's ABS system online yet so I'm going to have to find another way to research the compatibility of the GSR ABS sensors with the 1999 Civic EX ABS sensors and system.

It does look like I don't need to swap out the brake master cylinder or brake booster, but it appears that I might have to swap out the disk brake proportioning valve.

Parts Needed for the conversion are:
1. The left and right lower control arms
2. The left and right spindles
3. The left and right rotors
4. The left and right calipers
5. The left and right brake lines
6. The left and right e-brake cables.

Like I said, I'm checking out the '94 up GSR parts for compatibility. If anyone knows of any other models or years I should be looking at please let me know.

I'm going to either have all of the rotors turned or replace them with PowerSlot rotors and good pads. I'll also be installing Stainless steel braided brake lines when I do the conversion. Hopefully I'm not overlooking something here but I probably am.

I'll be sure to record the details of this conversion and share the info with the forum. I'm going to have this done as soon as I think I have it all figured out.

JR

PS: My primary reason to do this brake conversion is because we are going to have a Jackson Racing Supercharger installed on the car too. If we get the car to go fast, it probably would be a good idea to be able to slow it down too (when needed).
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 AM
#1 Super Guy

Don't waste your money on slotted/drilled rotors. They are for looks only, and they cannot out perform new blank rotors. And at over twice the price, I hardly call them a deal.

Stainless lines are good, but they can have drawbacks. Dust/dirt can get between the braids and wear holes in the teflon tube inside. The soloution would be to purchase SS lines that have a special coating on the outside. Only two companies that i know of make them, and thats StopTech & Neuspeed. Both are slightly more expensive than regular SS lines, but it's my opinion that the added insurance is worth it. Stoptechs outer coating is clear, and Neuspeeds outer coating is Bright Yellow.

Don't forget about good pads & fluid. I like the Axxis Ultimates brake pads. They are inexpensive, have awesome fade resistance, and contain a special kevlar/ceramic compound that has awesome cold bite (for street). These pads dust a lot compared to regular metalic pads, but the compound cleans off your wheels very easily. I had to shave the ears of pads on mine for proper fitment...

I don't know what to tell you about the ABS proportioning valve. That one could prove to be tricky since the 96-00 has a unique brake line system (atleast the NON ABS ones do). The non ABS EK prop valve is WAY different than the NON ABS integra valve. It's still debatable if you even need to change the valve for a rear disc swap anyways. With an ABS car, individual wheel lock-up is controled by the ABS system anyways, so proportioning seems like a waste of time anyways.

You only need to swap your master cylinder & brake booster if you swap in larger FRONT brakes. Rear discs don't require more fluid (I know from experience). If your pedal is mushy after the swap, you still have air in your brake lines...
Old 08-15-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan? (94eg!)

Well, after doing all the research, I've purchased the parts that I hope will allow me to do the rear drum to disk brake conversion - and still keep the ABS.

Here are the parts I bought:
96 GSR Rear trailing arms, disk brakes all hoses and cables - with the ABS sensors
98 GSR Master Cylinder and Brake Booster
GSR ABS Proportion Valve
Hawk HPS Pads

Ill be taking the conversion parts to a brake shop and see if all of this will work for me and allow me to end up with rear disk brakes and a functioning 4-wheel ABS braking system. I'll post again after I have this install done (in about 3 weeks) and share the details of this project.

Thanks to all of you who have given me advice on this brake project. I am greatly appreciative to all. This forum is great, but it's the members here (who are willing to share their knowledge and experiences with others) that makes it that way.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:49 AM
#1 Super Guy

You only need the master cylinder IF your switching your front brakes for integra ones. You should NOT need a larger master cylinder for a "rear disc swap". If you complete the swap and your pedal is mushy, it is because their is still air (or a leak) somewhere in the lines. I know because I have done it...
Old 08-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan? (94eg!)

in other words no
Old 10-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How did it go with the swap?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, results?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Type V)

your ABS is programmed for the stock components, rear drums, blah blah blah. If you change to rear disc, technically the program in the ABS computer should be updated. It will work but it will not be ideal.

ABS isn't as simple as 'wheel lock = pulsate the brake signal to the calipers'
Old 12-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need more info on this too.

I'm getting a full 4 wheel disc brake swap from a 94 euro spec del sol VTI with abs onto my euro spec 97 civic dx (with abs)...

Do i need some kind og "brain" from the abs unit in the sol' in my civic to make it all work?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan?

Originally Posted by HapaHaole
your ABS is programmed for the stock components, rear drums, blah blah blah. If you change to rear disc, technically the program in the ABS computer should be updated. It will work but it will not be ideal.

ABS isn't as simple as 'wheel lock = pulsate the brake signal to the calipers'
First my apologies for awakening this dormant post, but I am on the same trajectory here. After I read this post, I was more apprehensive.

What I think I know:
GSR DC/EG/EK rear abs sensors are compatible - proceed rear disc install as usual

What I need to know:

A: W/ the correct wiring diagram, can I re-wire and use a DC abs computer to control my ABS System? (since ex/lx ABS is programed for drums )

B: Can Honda repro my abs drum sys. to function w/ discs? ( anyone know the costs)

C: Is there a diff. between ABS Brk Bstr & prop valve on the gsr 2dr vs 4dr? and is there any diff. from acura abs to my civic abs's prop valve/ BB?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Will I lose ABS if I do a rear drum to disk conversion on a 1999 Civic EX Sedan?

i'm just glad to see someone realize abs is a very useful tool on a street or track car