Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Uneven pad contact/rotor wear? TL brembo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Uneven pad contact/rotor wear? TL brembo.

Just put TL brembos on my cl9, I completely disassembled and "rebuilt" them with OEM Brembo/centric seals. Re-assembled them, had my local Honda dealership bleed the brakes afterwards everything "feels ok". But when I look at the rotor the inner 27% is worn smooth as well as the very outer 8%. The rotors are brand new Stoptech TL-S slotted ones and the pads are unknown ones that came with the calipers that have 80% life left. Important note my old tsx brakes did the same thing except only on the driver side. now it's on both, both times the pads and rotors were in perfect shape last time was with brand new OEM Honda calipers too. I feel like i'm loosing out on the new BBK set up as it looks like the center portion is "untouched".

**If it matters, I have the wear tab on the outside at the top of the caliper** that's how the pads were in the caliper when I got it.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Uneven pad contact/rotor wear? TL brembo.

Buy new pads and bed them.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Putting used pads on new rotors is almost certainly the issue. Never combine used/new pads or rotors together. Both should be fresh surfaces from the start, following proper brake pad bedding procedures. Pads and rotors develop a certain wear pattern over time, with each becoming an exact fit to the other's various wear groove peaks and valleys.

If you haven't used the rotors for very long, you MIGHT be able to get away with putting new pads on there and bedding them to the rotors. Otherwise you'll have to get new pads AND have those rotors resurfaced to a 100% fresh new friction surface swept area.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys! didn't occur to me as while the pads were "old" they appeared nice and flat with lots of life. I drove it maybe 17kms TOPS in town to get food. Was planning on Hawk HP+ just wanted to "hold off" due to the high dust & corrosive(?) nature of the dust from them.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:49 PM

HP+ dust heavily....and the dust is corrosive.

Isn't this for a show car?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
HP+ dust heavily....and the dust is corrosive.

Isn't this for a show car?
Yes, but it still want to be able get on it and drive it around, it's not slammed or any of that stuff. Currently trying to get more info on the G-loc R6 and the Carbotech AX6 which boasts non-corrosive dust.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:17 AM

Carbotechs/G-Loc's are expensive and very noisy. And the lifespan of autocross pads on the street is low. But they are excellent pads.

What do you want? Just low temp response? Or are you looking for high temp fade resistance?

Autocross pads like HP+, AX6, etc have very little high temp fade resistance. Their advantage is a LOT of instant response at low temps. Unfortunately, their cons are that they dust a lot...make noise...and get used up quite fast. They're also hard on rotors...but...hopefully you didn't spend much on rotors.

If this is for street-only use, you really don't need high temp fade resistance. And IDK if you'll need or use all the response/bite from an autocross pad.

You'd do fine with almost any off the shelf semi-metallic. Reasonable dust, usually pretty silent, and decent life span, reasonable high temp range, but with really good initial bite.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Carbotechs/G-Loc's are expensive and very noisy. And the lifespan of autocross pads on the street is low. But they are excellent pads.

What do you want? Just low temp response? Or are you looking for high temp fade resistance?

Autocross pads like HP+, AX6, etc have very little high temp fade resistance. Their advantage is a LOT of instant response at low temps. Unfortunately, their cons are that they dust a lot...make noise...and get used up quite fast. They're also hard on rotors...but...hopefully you didn't spend much on rotors.

If this is for street-only use, you really don't need high temp fade resistance.
Just low temp bite, have been a big fan of the HP+ since 2014 I love how they feel overall from the back roads to the stop n go of the city.. i'm just not keen on harmful dust, I do clay/buff and paint seal the car but I don't know if that will protect it. The HP+ are about $110 cheaper and I do "like them" going to have to call my supplier and see what the ETA for the G-loc and carbotech ones would be.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went with the HP+, never heard back from G-loc. Bedded them in, rotors look nice and normal all over now. They're just starting to do that squeal now after some driving, bite is still improving.

thanks guys.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bumping this for an odd reason. There next to NO noise from these HP+ pads, they have great bite and were bedded properly rotor looks perfect. But last time I ran these in 2015/16 in a ITR caliper set up they squealed like crazy. I put the wear indictor pads on the outside(farthest side from the car). Seems odd to complain about but I'm genuinely concerned, I occasionally get the loud obnoxious screech once I've driven it and parked it. All I've done so far since bedding is in-town driving.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:28 AM

they'll start making noise soon enough, don't worry.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Instead of making a new thread. Would I see any benefit of putting hp+ or something more aggressive in the rear?. Currently have almost new OEM pads in there, and I'm trying to save money if it's not going to be noticeable.

Last edited by B_Swapped93; 11-06-2018 at 07:08 AM.