Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Rotor not centered in caliper

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:32 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Rotor not centered in caliper

Removed my brake rotor to find that previous owner had installed some thick washers between it and the wheel hub.

I took them out and it looks like the rotor is slightly off centered in the caliper. It doesn’t rub at all though. Would you run it like this, or put the washers back in to center it?

This is on an unknown front brake swap done on crx.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:00 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: Rotor not centered in caliper

I'd start by finding out what size rotors and what type of calipers you have on what knuckles you have.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:53 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
I'd start by finding out what size rotors and what type of calipers you have on what knuckles you have.
I am looking into that. I put the one side back together without the washers for now, and will be pulling apart the other side to see what they did over there.

Whats the worst that could happen with the rotor off center?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Is there a washer between the caliper and rotor or something?

I would get replacement calipers and rotors as a matter of safety regardless of the condition so I knew exactly how old the whole system was when I buy an old car .

seeing this, I would suspect everything else on that car is of equal maintenance and care, which is very low .
Old 07-28-2018, 09:37 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by 2x0

I am looking into that. I put the one side back together without the washers for now, and will be pulling apart the other side to see what they did over there.

Whats the worst that could happen with the rotor off center?
No idea. Usually the caliper brackets get spaced to center the caliper with the rotor.

The hat should fully seat to the hub, washers are not correct. Probably causing some unwanted vibrations or weird resonances with those washers being there.

I would assume the brake 'upgrade' wasn't clearing something, and if they're spacing the rotor I'd think to look for any wear on the knuckle.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:42 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I wanted to try running with them removed since I am chasing a weird front end vibration. Everything appears to clear just fine, spins freely with no rubbing. So I have no idea what they were doing.

And Tyson, yeah the whole car was in a low state of maintenance, which is why I’m going through everything. The calipers, knuckles, bearings and everything look to be in fine shape though. Rotors maybe a little rough. But I don’t plan on replacing things that don’t need replaced.

Edit: this is also from a PO who used washers on the wheel studs to make his wheels clear the calipers. It’s possible that these washers behind the rotor were for the same purpose, but he put one set behind the rotor to avoid having “stacked” washers on the wheel studs
Old 07-28-2018, 03:51 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Okay I got the other side apart, and there were no washers behind the rotor but you could see marks where there once were

This side has been like that since I’ve had the car and been fine, so I suppose I will be okay on the other side without washers.

Still figuring out what car the brakes came from. I definitely need new rotors. The passenger side had a chunk missing and looked almost like it was cracked.

There are no markings on the rotor, but they measure about 10.25” diameter and are 4x100 lug. Any way knowing what they could be from?

Edit: Looking back at the info from when I bought the car, said brakes were from a Legend. But I don’t assume anything I was told is accurate. Looking up specs on them now.

Caliper pn 17CL15VN. Knuckle hard to read, looks like RH3-H and AG-15?

Last edited by 2x0; 07-28-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:26 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

To summarize, it looks like this is what I've got.

Si/dx knuckles - RH3-H and LH3-H
Legend 2-piston calipers - 17CL15VN
23T bracket ?
10.3" rotor which could be from any number of vehicles.

In doing some research, this swap has been done before a couple of times and people confirmed that either a 2-3mm spacer is needed between hub and rotor, or the caliper bracket must be shaved down to make it work.

I confirmed that when driving, the rotor would rub on the caliper occasionally, so I am looking for some thin wheel spacers that will fit behind the rotor.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:00 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Have the bracket milled vs running spacers.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, not quite a mystery.

Guy who did the conversion didn't want to pay for milling the bracket. Washers are cheap and available instantly.