Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Omni Dyno Graphs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">give it some time</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bet you half a can of coke that the springs will outlast my motor/turbo/brakes/tires/other wear items, etc. That's not saying much though. If they droop half an inch, I'll just dial them back up.

If something from my car isn't a wear item, it's because it's sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

-Chris

Old 06-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (vtecvoodoo)

Great info thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 12:25 PM

Glad to see the results, thanks!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Future Texas Boy

Btw, the UGR kit arrived today. I dyno it tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:27 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

vtecvoodoo, am I correct in assuming the top portion of the graph is rebound, and lower portion of the graph is compression?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vtecvoodoo, am I correct in assuming the top portion of the graph is rebound, and lower portion of the graph is compression?</TD></TR></TABLE>

One would sure hope so....

Ryan, what's up with the spring dynos?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Future Texas Boy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vtecvoodoo, am I correct in assuming the top portion of the graph is rebound, and lower portion of the graph is compression?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any updates on the springs?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (El Pollo Diablo)

rear:

Thanks, Mav.

Modified by vtecvoodoo at 9:41 AM 6/29/2005
Old 06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you elaborate on the graphs. I dont know how to read them..

thank you Ryan
Old 07-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (Chris F)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> pretty please? The displacement one confuses me I would have expected the graph to look like y=mx, where m is the spring rate, when velocity is low.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The force vs. displacement, F(x), graph is plotted from a full stroke (extension and compression) of the shock. That is why it looks like a loop. A more oval looking graph is generally better for a race car. Since it's a sinusoidal input, the shock is at the maximum speed at x = 0 m. Maximum speed is indicated on the legend next to the data run #. If the graph is circular (high middle for rebound or low middle for bump) then you either have too much high speed damping or not enough low speed or both. The rebound graph looks like these shocks have ok(?) body control but are too stiff over bumps. It depends on the car/suspension in the end, but these are just guesses.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:22 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (GSpeedR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSpeedR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The force vs. displacement, F(x), graph is plotted from a full stroke (extension and compression) of the shock. That is why it looks like a loop. A more oval looking graph is generally better for a race car. Since it's a sinusoidal input, the shock is at the maximum speed at x = 0 m. Maximum speed is indicated on the legend next to the data run #. If the graph is circular (high middle for rebound or low middle for bump) then you either have too much high speed damping or not enough low speed or both. The rebound graph looks like these shocks have ok(?) body control but are too stiff over bumps. It depends on the car/suspension in the end, but these are just guesses. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, that really shed some light on that different style graph. I think it's funny how everybody gets their panties in a bunch about wanting a dyno graph of this shock & that shock. But when they finally get it, they don't have anything to say because they don't know what it means. LOL!

I'ver learned so much from this place...

PS: your Avatar is creepy looking...
Old 07-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Future Texas Boy

Same with spring rates. Nobody has a clue how to apply them, but they have to know what they are....

I like to really throw them for a loop and give them in N/mm
Old 07-01-2005, 08:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Same with spring rates. Nobody has a clue how to apply them, but they have to know what they are....

I like to really throw them for a loop and give them in N/mm </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, makes more sense than kg/mm anyway. How much force is in a kg ?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PS: your Avatar is creepy looking... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I laugh everytime I look at it.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:01 PM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (GSpeedR)

Me too...
Old 07-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (Chris F)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, makes more sense than kg/mm anyway. How much force is in a kg ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, F = ma, and kg is just mass, so you would need an acceleration first. ^_-
Maybe just 1g (9.8m/s^2, or 32ft/sec if you like standard). Though these should theoretically b neg. kg/mm is a pressure right? But what the hell do I know, I got this **** from some school book.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Though these should theoretically b neg. kg/mm is a pressure right? But what the hell do I know, I got this **** from some school book. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No....you should burn that book...it's filled with errors.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, F = ma, and kg is just mass, so you would need an acceleration first. ^_-
Maybe just 1g (9.8m/s^2, or 32ft/sec if you like standard).</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I go to a track day on the moon, do my springrates change?

kg/mm isn't a unit worthy of anything. Newtons/mm^2 is a unit of pressure. Or kg/m^2 (albeit a faulty one).

For some reason the mass/force thing is a pet peeve. People should stop measuring force in kilograms. Damnit. *pounds fist authoritatively*
Old 07-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

hmm,
so theres 2 types of dynochart here,
one for the strength chances based on the speed the pistons moving,
and another for the strength throughout its stroke..

the 2nd seems more important to me,
but the official shock dyno thread has only charts of the first type..

hmm
Old 07-08-2005, 07:33 PM

similar to tokico blues. no wonder they are a bargain.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (mamaboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mamaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">similar to tokico blues. no wonder they are a bargain.</TD></TR></TABLE>

similar doesn't mean the exact same. There is nothing bad with the tokico blue valving, and there is nothing horribly wrong with this valving either.

no its not what some people would want, but i think to say that the valving here is bad, is just plain wrong.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey vodoo, whats your ruling on this product? instead of the seculation. just because they have similar results to a blue does that mean that they dont perform ok?
Old 07-08-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

similar doesn't mean the exact same. There is nothing bad with the tokico blue valving, and there is nothing horribly wrong with this valving either.

no its not what some people would want, but i think to say that the valving here is bad, is just plain wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sure the valving isn't bad for street use. i personally don't know anybody who uses tokico's in general for any road racing or autox use. from personal use koni sport ots vs. even the illumina's the koni's win hands down. i guess you can say suspension is subjective up to a certain point, but to say that tokico blue's have decent valving i think is really given it abit too much credit. ON A SIDE NOTE don't you use koni OTS/Eibach ERS/GC/GC Upper mount combo. i've used that setup on two different cars + the comptech 22mm rear sway bar. greatest feeling from a FWD car that i've felt

Modified by mamaboy at 10:35 PM 7/8/2005
Old 07-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Omni Dyno Graphs (mamaboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mamaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sure the valving isn't bad for street use. i personally don't know anybody who uses tokico's in general for any road racing or autox use. from personal use koni sport ots vs. even the illumina's the koni's win hands down. i guess you can say suspension is subjective up to a certain point, but to say that tokico blue's have decent valving i think is really given it abit too much credit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blues are not good for racing neither would these be.

your comparing appels to oranges. here. Comparing a adjustable shock to a nonadjustable shock is not a fair comparision.

I think koni's are a MUCH better damper also.

again i think that the valving here is decent, and so are the blues, for what they are non-adjustable dampers for street use.

Quick Reply: Omni Dyno Graphs