Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

ok..think it's finally time for a suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok..think it's finally time for a suspension setup

Car: 1994 DC- 2DR/LS Chassis w/ 165k miles on Stock Suspension w/full interior
Purpose: Daily Driver Upgrade, No Drag/or Auto-cross..

So after finally getting my LSV All Motor swapped in the car I am now narrowing down my suspension setup I'd like to buy within the next 2-3 months..I'm currently in my research phase so excuse the ignorance. I'm def not a mechanic or suspension expert, so bear with me as I'm still trying to figure it all out.. Any suggestions or tips def appreciated and any feedback welcomed. I'm trying to get a small drop in height nothing drastic (thinking between 1" - 1.5"), and since this is my DD I need some comfort, I def do not want the bounciness or too stiff of a ride. So far my choices as of now are below:

*Progress CS II 350F/250R "Street" coilovers
- It was between this setup and the F&F Type 2, but after a few threads decided to stick with the Progress setup. YES I understand that Koni yellows/GC are the setup everyone seems to suggest by default, but in my situation I think the progress seems to be a good fit and costs much less $ since I'm on a limited budget. Trying to stretch the dollar overall so wanting to balance out the setup..best bang for the buck not top of the line items..

*ITR 22mm Rear Sway bar w/ BSQ Kit and New OEM Endlinks + Bushings
*Set of 4 Yokohama S Drives 205/50/15 Tires

- As of right now I'm still rocking the LS Meshes powdercoated gold w/ polish lip.. Would like to upgrade to a lighter 15" wheel in the future though.

- Still undecided on if I really need the subframe brace of an ASR/BWR etc .

Any thoughts? Anyone using similar setup already and like it or regret it?

Last edited by tamparican; 03-21-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ok..think it's finally time for a suspension setup

Nice little setup Looks like you actually did some research, unlike most everyone else that sings the same song.

How much is "a small drop in height"? Depending on the drop you want, you may need to up the spring rates to accommodate it.

I don't think ls rsb endlinks fit an itr bar. Either way, I'd go with new ones because after 165k miles and about 19 years, your current ones have seen better days.

The S Drives are a nice daily driver tire.

What kind of condition are the other suspension bushings on the car in?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! I've been searching around now for days.. Seeing I've not replaced any suspension parts on the car since I've owned it the last 5 years, the stock suspension I'm sure has seen better days, although it rides fine. I'm going to get under it this weekend with my next oil change and inspect around what needs replacement.. You're right will def pickup a brand new set of endlinks and bushings. As for the drop I'm trying to get a 1'"-1.5" drop? don't want it sitting too low and scraping around..
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, lets assume on the high side and say you are aiming for a 1.5" drop all the way around. That being the case, I'd go with 350F and 300R on the spring rates. If you were only going to drop it an inch, you'd be fine with the 250lb spring in the rear, but if you ever plan to let it ride that half an inch lower for a show or meet up, ect. you'll want to up the rear rate to 300 so you don't need to worry about bottoming out if you hit a decent dip or hole in the road.

If the bushings are original, I would expect them all to be showing cracks and maybe a little material deterioration. You can go crazy and replace them all, but if you're like most of us, you're on a budget. That being said, I would change the RTA bushings because they are pretty much guaranteed to be shot after 19 years because they take a lot of abuse, and then change any bushings that have excessive play. If they have some cracks, but they are tight, just leave em' be.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny you mention the RTA bushings B/C I've had a replacement set in my trunk but since I've heard you need to have them removed and pressed on the machine they've been sitting there for nearly 6 months.. Considering just getting them powdercoated or spraypainted when I remove them for the suspension install w/ just new bushings..Thanks for the tips.. Ideally I'd like to just drop it and not mess with it again.. Not sure if a 1" drop is too little or a 1.5" drop too much... looks and performance vs comfort..might have to check a few galleries out to make up my mind.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, THANK YOU for making a detailed opening post and not saying "lolz wat suspension is best for my kar" like a million other threads out here

As far as the sway bar brace, definitely go with the ASR brace. The BWR brace is not technically a brace because it does not have solid backing plates like the ASR unit. This means it will not help with subframe pullout. Also, Function7 makes a really nice brace (although it is more expensive than the ASR).
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If he is just using a stock ITR bar, then he can get away with the BSQ kit. Anything bigger than a stock ITR bar, you need to put on a real brace like ASR or Function7.

Big difference between BSQ and BWR. Maybe you haven't been around the forums enough to know who BSQ is/was.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, I can't stand when others do that.."need springs for my kar, what brand should i get".. I tried to at least give the basics and a little background of what I'm aiming for..Also I now do remember reading that somewhere else that the BWR was not a full subframe brace..

What I did run into was I BSQ's website was down, but I did find a thread on TI he had his email linked to, so I sent an email to him.. If not I can grab the Beaks reinforcement kit instead.. The ASR brace is very nice, but def pricier.. tbh Im just still debating myself whether to go easy on the bling factor or not lol.. With the 22mm rear sway bar, should there be any other specific bars or parts that SHOULD be upgraded to maximize the combined effect with the sway bar and coilovers? Would front and rear upper strut bars do much? At least those are much easier to get to in the future then from down bottom.