Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

No, you DO NOT need camber kits!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No, you DO NOT need camber kits!!!!!!!!

Should I be able to rear 15 x 7.5 zero offset on an EK without a camber kit?
R
Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rjones
R
Either the wheel/tire forum, or one of the cosmetic/appearance forums, would be a better place to ask this.

However, the odds are "no". I can't guarantee it, but there is a very good probability it won't fit without either running the car at stock height or adding massive camber.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice, i always thought it wasnt needed!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rjones
R
NOPE!
i did 15x7 +20 and it BARELY fit. i had to do some good fender rolling and trim my rear bumper cos the tire rubbed on it cos im a little low hehe
Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is good damn info. I thought I needed them especially being on the side of a budget since Im a college student and young father. Normal tire alignment ftmw!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car feels like new after the alignment today. The toe was massively out, I had the front and rear set to 0 and all is good now. and the camber is till within spec. my ef was only lowered 2.25in and 2in in the back.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Trial User

Plenty of good info here, thanks to all who have contributed. I have a '94 Accord, lowered about 2". I'm on 17" wheels with 215 / 45 tires. Before I lowered it, tire wear was perfect front and rear. As soon as I lowered it, I took it for an alignment to correct the toe. Camber was off both front and rear, but I didn't worry about it since I had heard that camber wouldn't cause any major tire wear.

It's been about 5 months now since I lowered the car, my front tires are shot, and I had to do the washer trick in the rear to keep them from getting torn up. I'm sure my stock bushings are worn, and in need of replacement, and that is likely at least part of the problem, but they are no worse than they were before the drop, and I wasn't wearing tires out like this then. The wear is very much only on the inner shoulder of the tires, and I'm tearing into the cords on the fronts.

I'm guessing that because I am running wider than stock tires, and they are low profile, that is why I have such serious wear. So then, I have two questions for you all. First off, am I right in assuming that I will need to fix the camber if I want to keep tires on this thing?

Second off, I know there are some local Hudson Valley NY peeps on here. I need to locate a shop that is good with aligning lowered cars. Somewhere in the Southern Dutchess County area would be best, perhaps in Poughkeepsie, Wappingers, Fishkill, or Beacon area.

Thanks in advance for any, and all help!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really need this on my Sol it has the worst tire weare i ever seen but it is pretty lowered i just put on a Camber kit and new tires 195/50 instead of my 205/60 hopefully it will reduce camber when alighned.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i have a ej6 with stock UCA's asd im tucking 15 in tires i had my car aligned and now im noticing little to none more wear one the OUTSIDE OF THE WHEEL! wtf! lmao im foreal i think is because the aligner set the toe POSITIVE (toe-in) just a thought but thats cool with me im running 15x7 +20
Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't know if it's been mentioned, but don't you usually want a slight toe out on a fwd car? as the wheels will toe in upon acceleration?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i sat here reading this whole entire thread to try and get my answer. i cleary understand about whats going on here lol.

my question and sistuation here is , i got a 94 bubble, right now i got buddyclubs on 15x6.5 everything is fine. but now am going a different way i have some sportmaxxs 15x8. my tires are 195 55 15 84v. my boy has the same rims with the same tires there fine, but the thing is there gunna stick out past my fender. and am lower then him, am going to get my fenders rolled,but i need them stagered in so it makes it under the fender.do i need a camber kit? no right?

p.s suspension is brand new ksports

thanks guys
sry if its stupid
Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car is slammed i wanted to know how i prevent my cv joints from getting messed up, the people at the nearest shop in my house told me i needed a camber kit is this true?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ people have forgotten the havoc that is wreaked on bearings that weren't meant handle load at these angles. it's not all about tire wear
Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r6ltUgtFWI
dont know if any one has posted this.
but he has camber.
ha
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by el crapitan
^^ people have forgotten the havoc that is wreaked on bearings that weren't meant handle load at these angles. it's not all about tire wear
x2, a new set of cv joints lasted me about 3 months, DD your car and having such a big drop sucks
Old 09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zoot.
my car is slammed i wanted to know how i prevent my cv joints from getting messed up, the people at the nearest shop in my house told me i needed a camber kit is this true?
Raise your car. Camber kit's arent going to save Cv's.
My friends old coupe ate axles, It's just something youll need to deal with if you want to be low.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by barone
ok i sat here reading this whole entire thread to try and get my answer. i cleary understand about whats going on here lol.

my question and sistuation here is , i got a 94 bubble, right now i got buddyclubs on 15x6.5 everything is fine. but now am going a different way i have some sportmaxxs 15x8. my tires are 195 55 15 84v. my boy has the same rims with the same tires there fine, but the thing is there gunna stick out past my fender. and am lower then him, am going to get my fenders rolled,but i need them stagered in so it makes it under the fender.do i need a camber kit? no right?

p.s suspension is brand new ksports

thanks guys
sry if its stupid
LOL with that tire size/wheel combo you will. get atleast 195/45/15
Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another nice thread
Old 09-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Trial User

im new to the scene and have been reading about lowering the car. thank you for this money and tire saving info!!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so its the toe that needs to be adjusted on my car since i have some positive camber wear on the front tires? its had very little wear since i installed my coilover sleeves on my 98 civic cx hatch (ek hatch). i was going to buy a skunk2 pro series plus camker kit. should i still buy it? my car is lowered about 4 inches or so maybe a tiny bit less
Old 09-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mad_jdm98
so its the toe that needs to be adjusted on my car since i have some positive camber wear on the front tires? its had very little wear since i installed my coilover sleeves on my 98 civic cx hatch (ek hatch). i was going to buy a skunk2 pro series plus camker kit. should i still buy it? my car is lowered about 4 inches or so maybe a tiny bit less
Having the toe set close to zero will greatly reduce tire wear on a lowered street car. The tires will still wear must faster than normal, though. I've have about a 3.5" drop with no camber kit and an alignment. The tires have still worn out rather quick, but not a fast as they would had I not gotten an alignment.

When these tires need replaced, I'll consider a set that is not directional so that they can be flipped. My current tires have about 70% tread remaining on the outside edge, while the inside has roughly 20%.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Accident Prone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v8_BROmaro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r6ltUgtFWI
dont know if any one has posted this.
but he has camber.
ha
not really productive but i made a funny

Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Having the toe set close to zero will greatly reduce tire wear on a lowered street car. The tires will still wear must faster than normal, though. I've have about a 3.5" drop with no camber kit and an alignment. The tires have still worn out rather quick, but not a fast as they would had I not gotten an alignment.

When these tires need replaced, I'll consider a set that is not directional so that they can be flipped. My current tires have about 70% tread remaining on the outside edge, while the inside has roughly 20%.
hmmm my tires arent directional..how would i go about rotating them? is it that the front lefts go to the rear rights and the front rights go to the rear lefts? like an X? lol
Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mad_jdm98
hmmm my tires arent directional..how would i go about rotating them? is it that the front lefts go to the rear rights and the front rights go to the rear lefts? like an X? lol
If the tires are directional, rotate the rears to the front and front to rear. It's that simple, rear left to front left, etc.

If you put the front left to the rear right, the direction on that tire would be backwards.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had an accord wagon slammed on 205/50/16s. before getting an alignment, i had a lot of inner tire wear. took it in for an alignment and th guy said he fixed the toe as much as he could. recommended a camber kit. but after what he did, the car ran fine. didnt need a camber kit after all. i had a 3 inch drop btw. i think the whole thing with camber kits is this "hella flush" fad thats going on right now.

i have a question tho. i understand u dont need a camber kit, but dont tires wear better when they make full contact on a flat surface then on the inside of the tire? how can having a tire run on its inner side and that be ok?

Quick Reply: No, you DO NOT need camber kits!!!!!!!!