Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

newb bump stop question, ride quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb bump stop question, ride quality?

I have a question about bump stops. If they are cut too short will it effect ride quality?

For example, this is a stock bump stop:

if it is cut to have only 1/4 the bumpstop aka just the top rib of the picture, will it effect ride quality?

Do bump stops do anything besides cause the shock to not bottom out on itself?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: newb bump stop question, ride quality?

Originally Posted by emooheo
I have a question about bump stops. If they are cut too short will it effect ride quality?
Unfortunately, this question is a bit loaded. They can affect ride quality, depending on many factors.

if it is cut to have only 1/4 the bumpstop aka just the top rib of the picture, will it effect ride quality?
Possibly. Would be better to use the bottom thicker part instead of the top thinner part though.

Do bump stops do anything besides cause the shock to not bottom out on itself?
Depends. Usually, no. With a lowered car, especially one on softer rate lowering springs, they can contribute to the spring rate under suspension compression.

I lowered my DC2 to flushed tires. My shocks were sitting on the bumpstops at ride height. The ride quality was very bouncy, as both the springs and bumpstops were providing the spring rate, and the shocks couldn't compensate. Cutting the bumpstops down to a smaller size, improved the ride quality, but when the car did bottom out the shock, it bottomed out much harder with the smaller bumpstop (which hurt ride quality under those circumstances). So, cutting mine made the ride better and worse, under different conditions.

So, in theory, they should only be used to help cushion the shock when it bottoms out. Reality, unfortunately, says otherwise. A stock Integra pushes into its front bumpstops under hard braking or cornering. Cutting them would result in more brake dive and body roll... I imagine that many other front suspension travel limited Hondas would be similar.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: newb bump stop question, ride quality?

Cutting the stock bump stop will not last you very long. I've had my car lowered since 01 and my front bump stop took a **** in 06. So what I did was, I ordered some from Ground Control that are made for lowered cars and last much longer. I just bought a set for my rear as well about a month ago.