Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Are the Ingalls Camber kits worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the Ingalls Camber kits worth the money?

I need to buy a front camber kit for my 2000 civic because i'm about to lower it. I like the idea of buying a new front a-arm with a new ball joint. It seems (from what i've read) that skunk2 and omni power are ok but seem to have crappy ball joints or crappy boots. Quite a few people like Ingalls brand. I found this Low Profile Adjustable Front Control Arm with polyurethane bushings for about $200 for the front set. This the the product:
http://www.tirerack.com/suspen...l+Arm

Skunk2 and Omni Power are priced about $150 for the same thing. I really want something i'll never have to mess with again (like getting a broken boot or grease every year). So will the Ingalls do this or will any brand do this?

P.S. I'll be doing to washer trick on the back for camber.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are the Ingalls Camber kits worth the money? (TurboLaxx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need to buy a front camber kit for my 2000 civic because i'm about to lower it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Nope, you don't. What you do need is alignment after you lower it.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Are the Ingalls Camber kits worth the money? (PIC Performance)

I know i need to align the wheel for toe to prevent unnessaccary tire wear. I dont want my new tires to wear on the edge because of bad camber. Over $100 per tire gets expensive real quick.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboLaxx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know i need to align the wheel for toe to prevent unnessaccary tire wear. I dont want my new tires to wear on the edge because of bad camber. Over $100 per tire gets expensive real quick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh, and I bought an Ingalls front kit to get more camber... The adjustable UCA mounts, not replacing the entire UCA though. Polyurethane squeaks, even when greased. I knew it did in advance, I just didn't know how loudly until after install. Oh well, live and learn.

There are many different opinions on this, but I don't think that a little camber will cause much, if any, extra tire wear. If you'd like an extreme case, check my sig. My Spitfire has 4.75* negative rear camber, and shows no signs of unusual tire wear. Thought it did take me an entire set of tires, countless custom made shims, and a lot of swearing, to get the rear toe correct. I gave up on trying to get the camber "fixed", since technically thats within the spec of 3.75 neg +- 1, and isn't adjustable anyway.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboLaxx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know i need to align the wheel for toe to prevent unnessaccary tire wear. I dont want my new tires to wear on the edge because of bad camber. Over $100 per tire gets expensive real quick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you drive somewhat aggressively and you get a camber kit to set it back to 0, you might find wear on the <U>outer</U> edge of your tires. If your new suspension is for appearance only and you drive like a old lady, forget what I just said.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Are the Ingalls Camber kits worth the money? (Jamez)

So are you saying the rubber bushings are better because they dont squeak? I just want a quality part i wont have problems with. Yes this suspension is mainly for looks. I dont do any crazy driving so a 2" drop wont mess up my tires without a camber kit?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to replace one of the ball joints in my Ingalls kit this summer. The driverside ball joint boot ripped last year, grease leaked out, and it started making an annoying knocking noise...I purchased an Ingalls replacement ball joint for like $30 and the install was fairly easy. However, I've since swapped my oem uca's back onto the car...because I'm convinced I don't need it as long as I've got my toe in check. The Ingalls UCAs are on the shelf in my garage now.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Camber doesn't kill the tires, toe does. Get the toe set to 0. I purchased a camber kit so that I could dial in *MORE* negative camber and I have absolutely no abnormal wear on my tires.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Are the Ingalls Camber kits worth the money? (kommon_sense)

I really needed a kit, I chose the poly mounts. In hindsight I wish I got the rubber set, it sounds like a low-pitch squeege over big bumps/dips (big suspention movement) - if I don't have my radio on. I have a 4dr that apparently was made to imitate a 4wd truck A big drop (still have .5" between 16's and fender) gave me more camber than the TSX race car. As far as having an item you never have to mess with, the arm mounts version is it.