Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

I can't get rid of this suspension noise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't get rid of this suspension noise.

I'm on Koni yellows and Eibach pro kit springs on a 98 v6 Accord. They were installed before I bought this car from a friend. I've had this problem for as long as I've owned it.

If I go over any bumps, or if I steer left and right very hard and abruptly, it'll make a clunking noise in the rear. It seems to affect both the left and right side. It's hard to describe the sound.. it's as if it sounds like a deep and muffled banging sound.

I've tried the following so far:

* Removed everything from the trunk, including the full-size spare tire I have
* Squeezed large pieces of plastic between the dead coils in one of the springs
* Grabbed hold of the sway bar in different areas, pulling and pushing it as hard as I could. The end links and bushing look good when I look at them
* Wrapped the tips of the mufflers with towels to make sure it wasn't hitting against the body kit
* Tried to jump up and down on the door sills, couldn't reproduce the sound

I'm at a loss here and REALLY want the noise to go away. I've been able to ignore it for almost a year now but I'd really like to get rid of it because it's embarassing driving people around in my car.

Any ideas? Help!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
TPB
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I can't get rid of this suspension noise. (oholdeno)

Jack up the rear of the car (at the tow hook) and make sure you place the front wheels on chocks.

Grab a hold of one of your rear wheels at the top and bottom and pull with the top hand while pushing with the bottom, alternating this motion. If the wheel feels as if there is even the slightest movement/slop, you might have shot bushings in either or both of your control arms. It could also mean that your rear wheel bearings are toast but then that wouldn't produce a clunking noise.

I'm assuming that you've checked that your exhaust hangers are intact and none of your exhaust is swinging about below.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: I can't get rid of this suspension noise. (TPB)

sorry TBD, i forgot to mention that this is also one of the things i tried. the wheel doesn't budge at all when grabbing hold of 12 and 6 (or any other position). it's nice and tight, no play.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I can't get rid of this suspension noise. (oholdeno)

how does the noise sound like? maybe check the exhaust mount to see if they are gettin gold? coz when the car up and down, the exhaust would go up and down too and hit the rear lower arm. hope it helps.