Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

How To: Quick/Easy Civic/Integra Trailing arm bushing replacement (also ES Poly Vs. Mugen)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How To: Quick/Easy Civic/Integra Trailing arm bushing replacement (also ES Poly V

Wow,
To believe I was skeptical about doing the job, and letting a
Shop do it. Thankyu.
RTA'S being done
This weekend.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How To: Quick/Easy Civic/Integra Trailing arm bushing replacement (also ES Poly V

1 extra thing that helps with trailing arm busing install and removal is to hit the removal tool on both side with a hammer while its coming out to free it up
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the noob question but after i lowered my car i got it aligned and everything. The other day i was diving on the freeway and when i would quickly move my steering wheel to either side, i would feel the rear move kind of funky as in a tailspin. It felt as if the rear would move slow to the side and then back to the middle. What could be the problem to this? I also went back to the alignment center and they told me i needed a new trailing arm bushing on the left side because my toe wouldn't adjust anymore. Could the trailing arm bushing be the problem?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*Sigh*

My daughter destroys cars. I helped her purchase a '94 Integra LS that is in pretty decent shape for it's years and 191k miles.

It flunked the safety inspection for these bushings. Since this thread is years old, can this tool be rented anywhere? Or are any forum members renting the tool out?

I'm near Annapolis, Md.

Thanks,
Ajax
Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to rent one from Autozone or someplace similar.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, no luck with that. Lots of places selling them. I'll never use the thing but once!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
You should be able to rent one from Autozone or someplace similar.
they didn't even know what it was when I called.

Only option around here was to buy it.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajax_Integra
Yeah, no luck with that. Lots of places selling them. I'll never use the thing but once!
I'll use it twice. Then I'll sell it.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Using lube is a good idea, but WD40 wont do **** for you.

You need something like Pb blaster, knock r loose, or the best, Areokroil.
Wd40 will just dry up and do noithing.

You will see what you need when you get the tool. I've never used one, so I don't know.
I don't understand the hate for WD-40. It does contain oil which does penetrate and does not dry up.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I HAVE THIS TOOL THAT I WILL BE USING SOON. THEN I CAN SEND IT TO ANYONE. LET ME KNOW
Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by seaking39
I HAVE THIS TOOL THAT I WILL BE USING SOON. THEN I CAN SEND IT TO ANYONE. LET ME KNOW
Where are you located?
Old 09-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in Reno, NV.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Trial User

Why waste time clocking I installed these AST Trailing Arm Bushing years ago on my CRV I did not have the tool at that time so I removed & used a press I am a Honda Tech & it was a PIA removing all that stuff. The tool is much better & faster But IMO I like the AST Trailing Arm Bushing over the OE type but I am not racing a CRV.
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FYaDQgod5kYAuA
Old 09-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Clocking isn't necessary with a poly RTA bushing. But poly bushings suckkkkkk especially in the RTA's.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Trial User

Ok just saying something sucks does not tell me anything How does it suck What is wrong with them. I have had them in my CRV for 60k & they are fine,
Again unless you are racing they work fine.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by seaking39
I am in Reno, NV.
Hey I'm located in Sac and I was wondering if you still have the trailing arm bushing tool kit?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 AM
The Grumpiest

This thread was created in '06. Try a PM.
I just ordered one of these and may decide to sell it once I'm finished with it. It also has an adapter for anyone running the smaller 90-93 Integra bushings.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Master Detailer

I made own with a pitman arm puller, a ring that fit the OD of the bushing and a big hammer.

Also Mark, the DA bushings are actually about 3mm larger.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Actually, you're right. The ones for the Civic fell right through the trailing arm.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mr. H1TMAN
Hey I'm located in Sac and I was wondering if you still have the trailing arm bushing tool kit?
yes, I still have it. Let me know and I can ship from Reno.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just did this...needed no special tools.

the energy suspension is a poorly designed rta bushing for one simply reason. it allows movement in only one direction where as it needs to move on two axis'. the stock or any of the good replacments(whiteline, hardrace, etc) all allow for both directions of movement. it will work but will cause snap oversteer. as the rta moves up and down the busing twists, and also rocks. these bushing blow out prematurely on lowered vehicles because you are causing the bushing to stay in a twisted position. the cure is to mark the position under weight if the car and clock the replacement when going in.

I chose to use the whitelines for two reasons, sliggt increase in performance over stock yet allows all directions of movement and secondly and the part that appealed the most was the fact it does not need to be clocked. the center spins. pretty nifty design.

as for install. a few good smacks with a hammer got the old ones out a lot easier than I thought. I tried everything to get them in....and nothing. so my buddy suggested to freeze them. after the bushings sat about 3hrs in the freezer I heated the trailing arm for about 30-45 sec. with a cheap little propane torch and a few light taps and it just went right in. just worked my way around the bushing tapping it in. took about 2 minutes a side
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Master Detailer

^ That's what everyone says.

I spent hours trying to hammer my TA bushings. They wouldn't budge. Rigged a tool together and took me about about hour to get them out.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:38 PM
The Grumpiest

I had to use a sledge to get the old ones out.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice write up! I need to do mine soon.

Quick Reply: How To: Quick/Easy Civic/Integra Trailing arm bushing replacement (also ES Poly Vs. Mugen)