Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

ground control help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ground control help!

hmmm... does it matter which sleeves go in front or rear for the ground controls... if so what kinda problems can it cause... at first i was about to put the long sleeves in the front, short sleeves in rear... then i read on a thread the short ones in front, long ones go in the rear.... so i did that...

so then now im trying to adjust my height and for some reason my fronts have one perch left showing on the sleeve but theres still an "eased" 2 finger gap... is that right?? gc's are supposed to let you dump cars arent they (not that i am going too), but it just doesnt seem right...

so now since i have come accross this problem, i was searching around n saw a thread that said the longer sleeves go in the front n short sleeves go on the rear... how i was originally going to put it on.... which is the right way? if im wrong what problems can it cause...

but aside from that, that wouldnt affect my ride height problem that i am having right ? cuz either way, long sleeves in front or rear, i still wouldnt be using the top portions of the sleeve anyway, so the springs would still be sitting on the perches at the same spot....

TIA... feedback pleasE!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're looking to lower the front but only have 1 "perch" left, would changing the length of the actual perch make any difference? wouldn't you still be at the bottom of the sleeve regardless of how long it is? because the sleeve sits on the shock perch... the lowest it can get is down to the shock perch and with the long sleeve or the short sleeve that is going to be the same limit. get it?

maybe i'm picturing the the wrong way... it doesn't really matter which you use as long as the sleeve is snug and you're happy with the height, but the short ones are supposed to go in the front and the long in the rear, you have it right.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: (Mike C)

really?? ... hmmm... can some1 give an explanation for my ride height tho... ground controls are supposed to be able to give you like a 3 inch drop or so... but my fronts are almost at the last perch and thats only like an inch or inch.5 drop.. .what sup with that?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:07 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (SNsLude)

That doesn't sound right at all. The short ones go in the front, and the long ones go in the back w/ the smooth section facing the ground. You should post a pic of your shock/spring combo, so we can see whats going on.

When you refer to "one perch left" do you mean you can only spin the pearch once more till it's bottomed out?

Are these new GC coil-overs?

Are they made for your car?

Are you using the right springs?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: (94eg!)

new gcs... new shocks... everything specific to my car... (at least i hope so, i chose the specfics before ordering) ... give me a min gonna run n snap some photos
Old 01-04-2005, 10:31 PM

heres my front driver side assembly.... see how the spring is sitting on the spring perch... and notice how theres almost no more thread left on the sleeve to lower the perch any more... so at this setting, when the car is set down, theres still a 2 finger gap left.... but to my understandning, with ground controls, at this setting the car should be dumped... (on another note... i didnt request any custom spring rates, so im assuming they are OTS... but back when i received them, all 4 springs had all same numbers/measurments... and also, the rears are able to be slammed tho the coils are the exact same as front... same lengths same spring rate... the whole sha bang...)

Modified by SNsLude at 11:42 PM 1/4/2005
Old 01-04-2005, 11:02 PM

it looks right

on the lid to the box, it has a little sticker that says front and rear and both have different number's, match those up with the ones on the spring.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: (lumpbuzcut)

yah i saw the sticker right when i opened the box... front n rears same exact... the print on the coils as well match... at first thought it was a little odd, so i asked around the boards and people said it should be fine, just a matter of ride preference... but now im guessing they shoulda sent me 2 different sets of coils.. even if they are ots rates
Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

yeah i remember answering your original post before. looks like you need a shorter spring up front.

when i bought my ground controls, i actually went to their shop to pick them up and i watched them assemble the kit. they do it by hand, and its quite possible they messed up and gave you two pairs of rear springs. or it could be that that is how the OTS spring rates are, all 4 equal.

you need to contact GC to be sure, or find someone else who bought OTS GC for a prelude to compare.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good pics. as i suspected, swapping the sleeves wouldn't do a thing. as tyson said, you need a shorter spring up front.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> they do it by hand, and its quite possible they messed up and gave you two pairs of rear springs. or it could be that that is how the OTS spring rates are, all 4 equal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm almost positive that the OTS GC rates are different F/R; they're softer in the rear IIRC.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:54 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

I think these guys are right. Write down all the printed numbers on each spring, and label them (LF, RF, RR, LR). Give GC a call, and tell them about your problem, and give them your spring rates. It doesn't sound right that all four spring rates are the same, but I'm not too familliar with the prelude.

Even if the rates are correct, the lengths may be wrong. GC stocks every lenth & rate made by eibach, so they can get you whatever you want.

Call them as early as possible because I think they close early (mabey 4:00pm)...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 AM

Awesome feedback guys! thanx alot!... will give them a call
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you use the shorter springs in front?

My integra kit had 1" taller springs that go in the rear.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: (Marauder)

yah the thing is... all 4 coils were eXACTLY the same...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:31 AM

so i called gc... yah apparently they sent me 4 of the same coils... but i explained how the rears i can actually dump but the fronts i cant... that doesnt make sense...oh and also, they said my fronts are right... but the rears arent.... so that still doesnt explain my drop issue
Old 01-05-2005, 11:33 AM

so i called gc... yah apparently they sent me 4 of the same coils... but i explained how the rears i can actually dump but the fronts i cant... that doesnt make sense...
Old 01-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well did GC say they were going to allow you to swap springs since they messed up? instead of getting the "right" rear spring, just ask for a shorter front spring instead and just put that up front.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:06 PM

yah, so apparently my front assemblies are fine, its just not being applied as they should be... in other words they need to send me shorter springs for the front... they are going to discuss n see what they can do for me...

and as for the coils... the fronts are the ones that they sent me duplicates of... they sent me 4 front coils so the fronts are right, but need to be changed anyway, and the rears have front coils sitting there.... with the coils they sent me, the rears are at around 382 lbs (it was 67 on coil, is my metric to lbs correct?)... should that be a fine spring rate to be sitting on, what do you guys think? i know its a matter of preference but from you guys that experienced different spring rates, should that be a decent "sporty" ride? feels decent enough i guess... any feedback? and also should it be safe to be riding with my rears with front coils?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm officially confused. if the front is too high even at the lowest setting how can you have the correct (lengthed) front springs?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: (Mike C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm officially confused. if the front is too high even at the lowest setting how can you have the correct (lengthed) front springs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

good question... they say the fronts are correct though.... ill run that by them when they call back... and i also do hope they can compensate for time/labor... i mean what if i had this done at a shop with no knowledge of the parts and installation.... id have to pay to get it all reinstalled again...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think theyre set to go THAT low with OTS springs. it makes sense that since he's using the shorter fronts in the rear he's able to really "slam" the rear. but you really wouldnt want to anyway. so it makes more sense to me.

when i ordered my GC for my crx, i got 7" front and 6" rear. i was able to get really low for racing, but no way could "slam" it. (btw the front shocks i had to modify to get extra shock travel and would otherwise riding my bumpstops) the OTS springs were 8"/7" respectively.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:48 PM

you think theyll be able to compensate someway for time/labor... thatd be awesome if they just sent me replacements n keep the originals... any other questoins i should run by them when they call back? and also, about the saftey thing on my last last post <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SNsLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... any feedback? and also should it be safe to be riding with my rears with front coils? </TD></TR></TABLE>... feedback on that please tia
Old 01-05-2005, 01:19 PM
#1 Super Guy

Saftey shouldn't be a problem. I would suggest that you take the car to an "EMPTY" parking lot and take some turns to get a feel for the car.

Do HARD sustained turns L & R
Do HARD braking turns L & R
Do HARD accelerating turns L & R

This will help you understand how your new suspension will react under different conditions, and feel the limits as well.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you know, i really dont recommend this. not having a preset course of some sort and just flinging the car around really isnt going to tell you anything relevent. youre setting yourself up for disaster. you might as well just go to an autocross and try there.

btw, with 382 in the rear, i recommend 450's up front. how the car "bounces" is largely determined by the REAR spring rate. since theyre relatively already stiff, 383, in the rear, and its my personal preference to keep the spring bias front heavy.

Quick Reply: ground control help!