Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Difference between LS Discs and EX Drums

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between LS Discs and EX Drums

Me and a buddy of mine are having an argument. He owns a 94 LS with 4 wheel discs, while I got the 98 Acura EL(Brake setup on these baby's is: Si proportion valve, front GSR discs and calipers, Rear Civic EX drum and all corners ABS).

He was telling me I should upgrade to disc brakes(non ABS) because they make SUCH a difference when it comes to braking. I was telling him that it's useless, I got KVR rotors and pads up front, and brand new shoes in my rear drums.

I agree the discs look a lot nicer, but the caliper and disc is so small...I don't even know if there will be a difference, so we argued.

Then, he ended up going on some teamintegra.net/torontointegra.net(or something like that) forum board and asked the same question(read further) and everyone on the board said that drums are so horrible, and all the newer Acura EL's(2004/2005 only) have Disc brakes, so why would they make discs in the future. Well...I thought about that, and myt quesion is if the 92-95 civic Si has disc brakes in the rear, which is lighter than a 96-00(and even further), why does the 96-00 have drums?

My question, are the 96-00 EX drums the same/better when it comes to braking performance or are the 94-97 LS discs that much of a difference?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between LS Discs and EX Drums (polak182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polak182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why does the 96-00 have drums?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cheap and easy to manufacture, and they work just as well as drums.

The difference is in the heat dissipation / fade and pedal feel. Drums do not dissipate heat as well as vented rotors, but on the back (about 15% of your braking force) it's not an issue.

The pedal feel with disks is much more consistant, due to the way drums work generating some braking force on their own when engaged (check http://www.howstuffworks.com if you're not familiar).

There was a test done in R&T or Grassroots or something along those lines that had actually done the test of drums vs. disks, and they prettymuch said the only difference was the pedal feel.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:02 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: Difference between LS Discs and EX Drums (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... they work just as well as drums. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he meant to say they work as well as discs...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...Drums do not dissipate heat as well as vented rotors, but on the back (about 15% of your braking force) it's not an issue. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Our cars don't have vented rotors in the rear. They are just solid. Basically don't expect too much from a rear disc swap. AutoXer hit the nail on the head with everything else he said...
Old 06-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between LS Discs and EX Drums (94eg!)

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking originally too, but not to that degree of technicality. Since the discs are exposed, they cool better, makes them consistant with braking, for drums, it's the opposite. Like I originally though, I'm gonna stick with the drums unless I come across a really amazing deal, until then I'm gonna go for thicker sway bar and strut brace instead.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think he meant to say they work as well as discs...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure did

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Our cars don't have vented rotors in the rear. They are just solid. Basically don't expect too much from a rear disc swap. AutoXer hit the nail on the head with everything else he said...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, forgot about that. I"m still rocking my drums. I was really trying to hedge off the 'so why aren't they on the front if they're so great' argument. But you guys knew where I was coming from anyway.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between LS Discs and EX Drums (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was really trying to hedge off the 'so why aren't they on the front if they're so great' argument. But you guys knew where I was coming from anyway.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it's the ricers perspective I guess...To be cool you need 4 wheel discs because a mercedes has em.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So true...I have no issues with my rear drums. I get excellent pedal feal with my Goodridge steel braided brake lines.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between LS Discs and EX Drums (gabebauman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabebauman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So true...I have no issues with my rear drums. I get excellent pedal feal with my Goodridge steel braided brake lines. </TD></TR></TABLE>
hmmm, I should look into getting those then. I saw em when I bought my brakes, I debated it, but ended up not getting it.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

For added saftey on a street car where regular inspections are more rare, it's best to use SS brake lines that have an extra coating around the outside. This coating will keep dust from getting between the steel braids & wearing on the teflon hose within. I believe both StopTech (clear) & Neuspeed (yellow) offer braided brake lines with an external sleeve. May cost a little extra though...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

techna fit has coated brake lines also. king motor sports sell them for like 110 they work great.