Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

CRX insight brake swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX insight brake swap

I have a 91 crx HF and im looking to lighten up the brakes a bit. From my understanding the front calipers, rotors, and pads as well as the rear drums from a 2000 insight will work?

With it being the HF model would early model HF finned aluminum drums be the better option over full insight?

Are there any issues i'll run into that i should be aware of?

From what im seeing the insight rotor is about 10mm smaller?

Any info would be appreciated thanks. I plan on doing a write up after i get it all sorted out with part numbers and weight comparisons for future reference.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: CRX insight brake swap

Originally Posted by 91stocker
I have a 91 crx HF and im looking to lighten up the brakes a bit.
youre looking to lighten up the lightest car?

From my understanding the front calipers, rotors, and pads as well as the rear drums from a 2000 insight will work?
whered you hear this?

With it being the HF model would early model HF finned aluminum drums be the better option over full insight?
basically the same. different casting but not really different. ive never confirmed first hand the difference tho. it does look different on the outside so must be a different casting.

Are there any issues i'll run into that i should be aware of?
back to the first comment, why? its a weak car with a weak engine, and already high mileage.

From what im seeing the insight rotor is about 10mm smaller?
ok

Any info would be appreciated thanks. I plan on doing a write up after i get it all sorted out with part numbers and weight comparisons for future reference.
good luck.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CRX insight brake swap

Originally Posted by Tyson
youre looking to lighten up the lightest car?
Absolutely, light weight is the only reason any honda is even remotely fun to drive. Thats like asking why add more power to a zr1 corvette, isnt 755hp enough? Answer, its never enough haha.

whered you hear this?
There are threads everywhere. The only useful ones are on hypermiling sites or class specific road racing threads though. Im surprised you havent ran across the concept at least once with your 18,000 posts.

basically the same. different casting but not really different. ive never confirmed first hand the difference tho. it does look different on the outside so must be a different casting.
From what i've found the small secondary dust cover ring thats tacked to the backing plate needs to be removed, but it should fit like a glove other than that.

back to the first comment, why? its a weak car with a weak engine, and already high mileage.
Who says any of that is true lol.

good luck.