Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Here's how about how it sits right now.

Just so people have an idea.

This was with my coworker's wheels on my car.

That's an 18/19 stagger though.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by fast2camciv
Oh, i see. i guess i read more into this thread than it really is. I thought this was more of an experience thread, based off a wide range of products you had used yourself, rather than a compilation of forum sackriding or he said/she said, with a dash of your own personal experience mixed in. I understand it's highly opinionated, but i thought there was some more technical backround behind the formulation of these opinions, my bad. I was highly interested before...not so much now lol. (enough so that i shared this link with a very seasoned autox'er friend of mine...who btw was taken aback by some of these recommendations lol) at any rate, Thanks for sharing.
I completely agree with you Fast2camciv, this guy admits its mostly opinion, yet he seems so sure of himself...ignorance is what I call it.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since when did reporting common knowledge consensus become the same thing as 'forum sackriding.' So because everybody agrees with him, he's sackriding?

As far as the value of this post... prior to it, there were 2 or 3 posts a week with people asking 'what's the best suspension setup?' 'what's better, X or Y?' blah blah. Since this thread was made I don't know if I've seen a single thread like that.

If you have a reason to disagree with Libertariat, say so, and say what you disagree about, what you think is correct, and why. Anybody who reads this discussion will see your arguments regardless of whether they make it into the OP. Don't just say your autocrossing friend thinks this thread is stupid, or writeoff his opinions as though they're meaningless. And all the noobs here need to show some respect for the fact that he's been a major contributor to this forum for a LONG time and that he knows a lot about suspensions on these cars.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
That setup is fine. Eibach makes great products, and that setup is no different.

I forgot his name on here but he has the prokit setup. Same thing as what your looking at, just a different drop/spring rates.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on that exact setup, but I decided I would rather have coilovers. I DO regret my decsion.

If your simply looking for a mild drop, and you don't want to spend the money on the progress or the Koni/gc setup this will do the job nicely. I would say a great setup for a DD that your looking to have a little fun with, but comfort is still on the mind.
Thanks, I am planning on using the car as a daily. I just picked it up and want to make it a little more fun (and replace anything that is worn out). I appreciate the input. My biggest concern on the set up is how good are the struts? Seeing that Eibach has someone else make them I was concerned. Any input is appreciated.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Burton42
Thanks, I am planning on using the car as a daily. I just picked it up and want to make it a little more fun (and replace anything that is worn out). I appreciate the input. My biggest concern on the set up is how good are the struts? Seeing that Eibach has someone else make them I was concerned. Any input is appreciated.
You wouldn't happen to know who makes them would you?

I wouldn't be concered with anything Eibach makes. I beilve they a 1 million mile warranty.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
You wouldn't happen to know who makes them would you?

I wouldn't be concered with anything Eibach makes. I beilve they a 1 million mile warranty.
No, I called the other day and apparently the department that had that info was closed, I went for the long shot of asking the guy I spoke to if he could email me the info, but I did not get anything.

I believe it is 2 (max 3) year warranty on the struts.

BTW, when people mention the Koni/GC set up are they talking about the Koni yellows?

Does anyone know about the Tokico HPK201 or Tokico ILK202 set ups? I am seeing shocks and springs for around $500.

Last edited by Burton42; 08-26-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: had Tokico HPK202 when I meant ILK202
Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Master Detailer

Hmm, Maybe it's the springs with the million mile warnty. That or, I am confued.

Yes, the yellows.

Is the HPK's the blues? If so, no go. They are OEM replacment shocks. They are rumored to be valved stiffer, but I call
Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They're good, the spring/strut combo is fantastic for a DD.

Springs come w/a million mile warranty, the Struts have a full 2 year warranty...and I'm sure they will last longer than that. Bout 20k so far. The Struts are made in Argentina from what I remember, but still made in an Eibach factory. The springs are manufactured in CA.

I'm not sure why this would matter when it comes to a company such as Eibach??? Tried and true man.

See sig for more pics, comments on the setup, etc.

OG's, sorry if you've seen this pic...you know I love my Eibach, seemed to make sense for this thread since the setups mentioned briefly on pg.1
Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Master Detailer

Cool, I was hoping you would post. lol

I am forgeting everyone's names latley.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun
They're good, the spring/strut combo is fantastic for a DD.

Springs come w/a million mile warranty, the Struts have a full 2 year warranty...and I'm sure they will last longer than that. Bout 20k so far.

See sig for more pics, comments on the setup, etc.

OG's, sorry if you've seen this pic...you know I love my Eibach.
Thanks, as you can probably tell I am all over the place on what to go with. Is your kit the sportlines? I see it is called out as "extreme lowering" on tirerack, is it more then the standard 1.6" drop?

I am happy to see someone running them! Do you do any autocross/track days?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, as you can probably tell I am all over the place on what to go with. Is your kit the sportlines? I see it is called out as "extreme lowering" on tirerack, is it more then the standard 1.6" drop?

I am happy to see someone running them! Do you do any autocross/track days?
I'm actually getting a bit old for the Sportlines, two children and a wife....I stayed away from those on this car as its a complete DD. So its the Prokit, obviously. Excellent for daily and spirited driving, but I'd be embarrassed to go to the track with that setup if I actually wanted to perform...Wouldn't be able to hang, spring rates are just too soft for track man.

I don't know that I'd say that extreme lowering....but you WILL bottom out if you drive like an a-hole w/the sportlines. LOL

Sidenote- I think the drop form those springs looks fantastic, tons of google pics for that. Definitely not tucking tire though.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New to suspension. I already had my sights set on the GC coilovers here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GROUN...item1e64133fa2

Im assuming these are the ones you were discussing with the eibach springs.
Im looking for a slightly cheaper strut though then the koni or illumina's so i was recommended the tokico blue's. here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...item1e5d56322f

Now, im not looking to slam my DA but i want a reasonable ~1.5-2" drop. I also wanted to be able to adjust the rear to accommodate the 400-600lbs of audio equipment going into the car. I dont hit the track or anything. It would just be a daily driven car in summer and for shows.

Do you think the tokico blue/Groundcontrol setup would be good?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...dude, 4-600 pounds? I hate to sound dumb but what exactly are you putting in your car that would cause you to gain this much weight? Couple subs, some dynamat...I'm thinking 150 lbs.....TOPS.

*Scratches head*

Old 08-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by resko1
Now, im not looking to slam my DA but i want a reasonable ~1.5-2" drop. I also wanted to be able to adjust the rear to accommodate the 400-600lbs of audio equipment going into the car. I dont hit the track or anything. It would just be a daily driven car in summer and for shows.
I really hope you are a DJ or something
Old 08-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PreyStayShun
I'm actually getting a bit old for the Sportlines, two children and a wife....I stayed away from those on this car as its a complete DD. So its the Prokit, obviously. Excellent for daily and spirited driving, but I'd be embarrassed to go to the track with that setup if I actually wanted to perform...Wouldn't be able to hang, spring rates are just too soft for track man.

I don't know that I'd say that extreme lowering....but you WILL bottom out if you drive like an a-hole w/the sportlines. LOL

Sidenote- I think the drop form those springs looks fantastic, tons of google pics for that. Definitely not tucking tire though.
I am using mine primarily as a DD, but wanted something that I can play with at the track also. I am building a track car, but that project is several months from completion.

I just was not sure what "extreme lowering meant", I am not trying to make my civic look like I am a hella flush d bag.

I just want a good set up that can perform respectably at an occasional track day, but mostly for the 20k+ miles per year I am likely to drive it on the street.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really hope you are a DJ or something
No sir. I do competition car audio. Sponsored by Sundown Audio. Would be a pair of 18's that weigh ~60lbs each where the back seat is and a 7k amp. most weight comes from the extra batteries weighing in at 80lbs each. And theirs 6 of them.
But besides the topic i'm really on the fence about the CA comps. I seem to be more interested in trying my hand at rebuilding this car (90 teg gs).
Does anyone have an opinion on the Tokico blue/GC setup?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Master Detailer

The rates that you would need to support all that weight would kill a blue in a heart beat.

They are OEM replacements shocks, NOT meant for lowering. Unless it's a very mild drop, with close to stock spring rates.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very useful and informative

thank you kind sir.............
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No sir. I do competition car audio. Sponsored by Sundown Audio. Would be a pair of 18's that weigh ~60lbs each where the back seat is and a 7k amp. most weight comes from the extra batteries weighing in at 80lbs each. And theirs 6 of them.
But besides the topic i'm really on the fence about the CA comps. I seem to be more interested in trying my hand at rebuilding this car (90 teg gs).
Does anyone have an opinion on the Tokico blue/GC setup?
98 speak truth (as usual)

With that kind of weight...you should really probably start looking into bag systems man like other professionals carrying that weight for comp. sound
Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I may not be doing the comp system in this car though. Just looking for a mild drop. 1-2" just to fill in some wheel well area. Looking at the tokico blue or illumina's. The koni's are nice, but a little more expensive then the illumina's.
I have no clue about spring rates. What is stock?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It'll be something in the neighborhood of 200/100. Probably a little less. You'll need a strong spring rate to control an extra 600 lbs (25% increase in vehicle weight) with any kind of drop at all.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is a serious audio set up, good luck on the competitions (and suspension set up)
Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by GagnarTheUnruly
It'll be something in the neighborhood of 200/100. Probably a little less. You'll need a strong spring rate to control an extra 600 lbs (25% increase in vehicle weight) with any kind of drop at all.
I hope you don't plan to lower the car much with those low spring rates.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, what I meant was that stock rates are around 200/100 (OP asked the question earlier). With a drop & extra weight he'll need three times that rate at least.

Quick Reply: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.