Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Originally Posted by 7rrivera7
Ok, THMotorsports stated on the first page of their thread selling the Koni/GC combo that they suggest the following spring rates:

Street Use Only: 290/350Lbs
Street/auto-x: 350/380Lbs
Street/Road Course: 380/450Lbs

I then asked if that was F/R or R/F because most posts suggest a higher spring rate in the front due the the added weight of the motor. TH however says this:

Its F/R. Since its a FF car, they are prone to understeer. Having a higher spring rate in the rear helps to car to rotate and counter-act the understeer offering a more neutral feel.

What I am asking is if you could comment on this - thanks!
Okay, I've got it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

There are several ways to approach promoting oversteer for a track car. One is by having much stiffer rear rates and suitable swaybars or sometimes no swaybars. (Swaybars become less effective the higher the spring rates.)

From my understanding, I'll use Japan as an example of a place where I've heard they do this: they tend to do the reverse, Stiffer rates up front, with big swaybars in the rear to give the car a more balanced feel without having too much oversteer.

Under-steer is sometimes a little easier to control if you know what you're doing, it's all based on driver preference.

For a daily driver/dual duty car it's usually best to be conservative with the rear rate as the rear rate is far more indicative of the ride quality than the front rate.

I.E., while I know 550F/700R would be superior for my car for road racing/autocross, I drive my car daily and don't want to have a herniated disk. So the compromise for my next suspension setup is running a 550F/450R setup with a 24mm rear swaybar to keep the car pretty neutral and tolerable on the street and highway.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability

Excellent explanation and opinion from personal experience - thanks guys!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this has been so much help thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by solbrothers
even though i changed my shocks and struts, my car feels sloppy as hell on the freeway. i need to install my bushings and front end parts.
Our cars only have shocks, no struts.

Sloppy? What are your alignment specs? Roll center adjusters would help, especially at your ride height.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Ek Forever y0!

haven't gotten an alignment since i slammed it.

and sorry, meant shocks/springs

also also im pretty sure my tie rods are bad/old. car just feels so loose on the freeway
I'd definitely get an alignment.

Get the toe set in, in the rear ~.03-.05 and out in the front ~.03

SUPER close to zero but just a hair in in the rear and a hair out in the front. It will lighten up the steering and promote great stability on the highway while maintaining good turn in qualities.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the best spring rates for koni str.t / GC for 96 accord 4dr lx? Since I heard str.t might not be able to handle higher rates will 350F-300R do or ??
Old 02-21-2012, 05:30 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jgauge
What's the best spring rates for koni str.t / GC for 96 accord 4dr lx? Since I heard str.t might not be able to handle higher rates will 350F-300R do or ??
Best for what?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks to this thread and Libertariat (advice/knowledge)
I picked up my starter set, progress cs-II 350f/250f (will eventually go higher later,later)

Name:  20120222_183021.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  87.8 KB

thanks again

PS yes I've been here long and yes that's my that post count. lol
Old 02-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Progress CS-II--2 BIG THUMBS UP!! i love them
(350F/250R--Recommended preload install, w/12" front 12.5" rear measurements)
Absolutely love the height, its perfect! Rides and handles like a dream

Name:  20120224_173226.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  126.9 KB

Don't mind the 13's they're my everyday wheels/tires

thanks again suspension gurus!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet

Libertariat thank you

Last edited by Libertariat; 02-25-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by selder
Sweet

Libertariat thank you
Of course! Glad to help.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys im wondering what would be a great reliable suspension set up on my 94 civic coupe. I have some xxr 002 0 offset wheels i got the rear skunk 2 camber on and my suspension is stock as of now except for some reason i have only one coilover and the rear passenger side? Which the rear passenger side is higher and my wheels rub on the rear driver side only.. So im looking for some coilovers in the 600-800 dollar range. Im also waiting on my skunk 2 front camber kit and im not wanting the hella hellaflush look but the wheels stick out so much it looks beyond riced out unless i tuck em a bit. How much should i tuck them so it wont rub plus having my ride low?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

even though i changed my shocks and struts, my car feels sloppy as hell on the freeway. i need to install my bushings and front end parts.
Bushings dude! Even with shitty setup, my car is very tight with the new ES bushings in.
I do need ball joints as well. lol

Originally Posted by Boost>n/a
Hey guys im wondering what would be a great reliable suspension set up on my 94 civic coupe. I have some xxr 002 0 offset wheels i got the rear skunk 2 camber on and my suspension is stock as of now except for some reason i have only one coilover and the rear passenger side? Which the rear passenger side is higher and my wheels rub on the rear driver side only.. So im looking for some coilovers in the 600-800 dollar range. Im also waiting on my skunk 2 front camber kit and im not wanting the hella hellaflush look but the wheels stick out so much it looks beyond riced out unless i tuck em a bit. How much should i tuck them so it wont rub plus having my ride low?
You don't want the hellaflush look, but you want 0 offset wheels? Really?

That car is going to look goofy.

What is the specs on the wheels? Width, tire size?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Trial User

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i seen some pull em off without going so negative with 0 offset wheels there 205/45r16 8 width
Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  180.2 KB
Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the rear is already adjusted but idk how far
Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  39.9 KB
Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 2002 Accord LX 4 cylinder w/ stock wheels. Its a DD do everything family car. Setup will consist of Eibach Pro kit shocks and Swift Sport Springs (252/168 w/ 1.2" drop front and back).

Plan on having alignment done roughly 2 weeks after install. Should I stick with OEM alignment?

Daniel
Old 02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by dachness
I have 2002 Accord LX 4 cylinder w/ stock wheels. Its a DD do everything family car. Setup will consist of Eibach Pro kit shocks and Swift Sport Springs (252/168 w/ 1.2" drop front and back).

Plan on having alignment done roughly 2 weeks after install. Should I stick with OEM alignment?

Daniel
Yes. But I would put the toe in .04-.06 total in the rear. And toe out in the front .03-.05 total up front for better steering response and better highway stability.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank You.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great thread !! wish i did more homework before my purchase i ride w f&f type I but im not 100 satisfied.. my question is .. i got a em1 00 and it has a sound system.. one of my close friends advice becaue of the speakers my car is not driving to expectations. im really interested in koni /gc but he said because of the extra weight i will be getting same result .. by reading this thread i came to conclusion w a stiffer spring rate itl compensate for extra weight?? am i wrong to think this ?? should i get rid at least of half of my system to have a better ride??get rid of completetly any suggestions ideas criticms will help make a decision............ thanks in advance!!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by nenetech
great thread !! wish i did more homework before my purchase i ride w f&f type I but im not 100 satisfied.. my question is .. i got a em1 00 and it has a sound system.. one of my close friends advice becaue of the speakers my car is not driving to expectations. im really interested in koni /gc but he said because of the extra weight i will be getting same result .. by reading this thread i came to conclusion w a stiffer spring rate itl compensate for extra weight?? am i wrong to think this ?? should i get rid at least of half of my system to have a better ride??get rid of completetly any suggestions ideas criticms will help make a decision............ thanks in advance!!
That was tuff to read.

A stiffer spring can be used to compensate for increased weight. But, the ride quality will suffer.

I have quite a bit of weight in the trunk due to my subs, I run 350lb springs with no issues.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Good god, how much does a stereo system weigh?

50-100lbs?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Libertariat

50-100lbs?
You never know, unless he tells us what he's runing.

Some subs are pigs.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat

50-100lbs?
Don't forget that there was someone many pages back in this very thread (yes I've actually read it) that was running like 8 huge batteries to power his tunes. Life must be tough at 5 or 10 kW when you're parked and not plugged into the mains...

Quick Reply: CLICK HERE all of you curious about suspension setups and their costs/reliability.