Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

The best coil strut setup for the money on a dc

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: The best coil strut setup for the money on a dc

Just talked to my buddy, and he said he regularly does 25-30k a year.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

But Megan still sucks.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i dont know how my thread ended up into a bashing match but back to the topic at hand so i decided to go with blox tuner series one pieces and they are awsome no complaints at all. my cousin runs the same setup and with the advice given here as far as compression rates lbs and the drop i wanted the progress csII got voted out because the highest pound rate they sale is 500 and blox are a good ride with a 480 something in the front and 570 something in the rear. thanks for the info guys. now i got clutch question in another thread started so hit me up on that one please.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By the way if anyone is intrested in a good buy the blox tuner series run for almost 800 i was able to get them for 679 shipped from octane motor sports. they were able to work with me as far as a weird shipping and diff billing address do to me being military where most companies wont. i give them 4 stars
Old 11-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Master Detailer

4 stars out of how many? How bouncy is the car?

Sure they'll good now, but post when you've had them for a year.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car is not bouncy at all its a some what hard ride because of the spring rate but its a good change off to being able to out corner every thing that comes by me. the other day i was hauling down the highway and a gsr smoked my *** till we hit a rounded turn and he had to slow down to what i am guessing 90 while i was still topping more then 120 he was dropped on gtr2's with gc springs. we both had stock sways
Old 11-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah four stars out of five the price speaks for it all the set retails for 719 on weaksauce and 800-900 in other places
Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by dc_jdm_dreams
oh yeah four stars out of five the price speaks for it all the set retails for 719 on weaksauce and 800-900 in other places
Still overpriced. Koni/gc will own that crap, and it's priced at about $799. (on here)

The thing with you say it's not too bouncy is subjective. My buddy's car is not too bouncy to him, but his *** is almost coming out of the seat.

My car rides like ****, to my buddy it rides fine.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car is not bouncy at all its a some what hard ride because of the spring rate but its a good change off to being able to out corner every thing that comes by me. the other day i was hauling down the highway and a gsr smoked my *** till we hit a rounded turn and he had to slow down to what i am guessing 90 while i was still topping more then 120 he was dropped on gtr2's with gc springs. we both had stock sways
Save it for the track. The world isn't your f*ing racetrack.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

koni/gc may own it this i dont know never felt it my self. but i wanted one peices and was working on a budget. i felt the blox one pieces and liked them so that what i went with. i love the set up but everyone has there pref.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GagnarTheUnruly. thanks for your two cents buddy will keep in mind. so........ back to the subject
Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

koni/gc may own it this i dont know never felt it my self. but i wanted one peices and was working on a budget. i felt the blox one pieces and liked them so that what i went with. i love the set up but everyone has there pref.
WTF are "one pieces"?

You have a shock, a coil spring, an adjustable perch threaded onto the shock body, and the upper shock mount. There may also be a locking perch, and potentially the shock body itself might thread into a lower mount with it's own lock.

The only difference between that and the Koni/GC combo is an additional sleeve, making it 5 "pieces" instead of 4 (or 7 with both the locks and lower mount).
Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I view one pieces as being a coilover that the threaded sleeve and the strut body its self is one pieces and the lower mount threads onto that. unlike haveing a oem style strut with adjustable coils slipped over in the place where the oem stlye non adjustable coil would go. i have experianced that with the "two piece" setup the adjustable coil and sleeve will jump around inside the bottem cup of the strut when the strut is not under load and then seating down wrong when the strut fails back under load. this happends on very rough and uneven roads such like we have in elpaso due to the mountainous terrain that the roads are built on.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with one pieces if they are done right you can get a pretty low drop and still not move the coil spring up and down out of the guides when the car is jacked all the way up off its tires
Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Master Detailer

I view one pieces as being a coilover that the threaded sleeve and the strut body its self is one pieces and the lower mount threads onto that. unlike haveing a oem style strut with adjustable coils slipped over in the place where the oem stlye non adjustable coil would go. i have experianced that with the "two piece" setup the adjustable coil and sleeve will jump around inside the bottem cup of the strut when the strut is not under load and then seating down wrong when the strut fails back under load. this happends on very rough and uneven roads such like we have in elpaso due to the mountainous terrain that the roads are built on.
"One peices" don't have have any sort of performance gain over slip ones. Well, maybe if you own one hell of an track car, but, then you likely wont be running POS suspension.

The sleeve jumping around on the shock is so damn easy to fix, it makes me feel like slapping people when they say stuff like that.

My sleeves have never once done that. The only way I can even see that happening is if you are pulling the tire off the ground.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well considering my car high centers onto two wheels sometimes pulling into my driveway slowly then i can see this happening. And if you know how to fix the spring jumping around in the strut problem with out heavily moding the strut then you should prob share with the rest of us. this site is for info sharing and sharing one common love for honda
Old 11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Master Detailer

well considering my car high centers onto two wheels sometimes pulling into my driveway slowly then i can see this happening. And if you know how to fix the spring jumping around in the strut problem with out heavily moding the strut then you should prob share with the rest of us. this site is for info sharing and sharing one common love for honda

The spring? your spring is jumping around on the shock? Are you not running sleeves/adjusters?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no the spring on my blox one pieces dont jump because the strut that is built into the setup is made for adjustable coils. but i know that sometimes if you run oem style struts (like koni) with adjustable slip on coils (like GC) depending on your road condition's your spring will jump around when big bumps are hit and your springs become no longer under load if they are adjusted too low i had this problem in two of my previous 240's as did a buddy of mine in his old dc.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:46 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

no the spring on my blox one pieces dont jump because the strut that is built into the setup is made for adjustable coils. but i know that sometimes if you run oem style struts (like koni) with adjustable slip on coils (like GC) depending on your road condition's your spring will jump around when big bumps are hit and your springs become no longer under load if they are adjusted too low i had this problem in two of my previous 240's as did a buddy of mine in his old dc.
That shouldn't happen unless you're catching big air. The only time it should is if you have it up on a lift. A set of helper/tender springs would fix that.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are shocks, not struts.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Master Detailer

I quite regularly 3 wheel with the car and I've never have I had this issue. The springs are flat on the bottom, which sit flat on the adjuster. There really is no way for it not to work like that.

I can see the thread sleeve moving around, but thats easy to fix.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 for me on Progress
Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

helper/ tender springs what are those if they do what i think they do thats awsome
Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

helper/ tender springs what are those if they do what i think they do thats awsome

Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civdx
I quite regularly 3 wheel with the car and I've never have I had this issue.
Likewise.

The springs are flat on the bottom, which sit flat on the adjuster. There really is no way for it not to work like that.
Exactly.

I can see the thread sleeve moving around, but thats easy to fix.
Tape.

I wrapped my Koni shocks in a single layer of electrical tape where the sleeve covers it. Takes up any clearance, keeps the sleeve from moving.

Quick Reply: The best coil strut setup for the money on a dc