Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Bent LCA><14 Rotor Changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bent LCA><14 Rotor Changes

I have made numerous braking noise threads in the past. After, I just change the rotor and pads and bleed...... x14 now. Yes, 14. I went thru 14 sets of rotors and pads this year alone just trying to get rid of the brake noise which now seems like its from a uneven transfer of the pad material to rotor.

This is how I break them in stop from 40-45mph to 15mph a couple times, then go to 60-70mph and brake till 40-45 8-10 times. No noise is present at all during this. But as of now I get squeak and go squeak and go when just barely engaging the brakes. WHEN FULLY ENGAGING THE BRAKE NOISE STOPS. Otherwise I can be rolling going 2-60mph and the noise is very present.

I really love my sol, no other way i'd do those many rotor changes.... I would do anything It takes to get rid of this noise for good. Should I just do a integra front brake conversion? Swap for si caliper? Its a S model del sol and I believe it has the 9" brake rotor. I also took it to a mechanic that my family has went to for over 20 years, all he could say is possibly change the rotor.

Example: On Aug 1, 2016. I replaced my front rotors and pads with I can't recall which rotor but I know it was a duralast gold pad and duralast rotor.
10/14/16 After not hearing the noise for the sub month and a half. I give it a drive. It rained previously that morning.... Throw it in neutral coming to a light and before I can even press the brakes I hear my lovely passenger side.

NOTE: NOISE IS ONLY ON THE PASS SIDE. AND I DO HAVE A BENT PASS FRONT LCA THAT HINDERS MY CASTER, BUT I WAS TOLD IT WAS NOT A PROBLEM. Think thats the problem? Its the only thing that could make since to me right now.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Bent LCA><14 Rotor Changes

I see nothing about you inspecting the caliper and wheel bearing? After 14 rotors/pads why have you not inspected anything?

If there is play in the wheel bearing it could be allowing the rotor to "wiggle". That could cause the uneven wear you are seeing.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you grease the brake pin slides when you work on the brakes? I'm not sure if it is needed, or would help, or if you're already using it, but maybe the anti squeal (disk brake quiet) stuff they sell for the back of the pad backing plates would help? Also, what type of pads do you run - some types are quiet, but others may be prone to prone to squeaks. - Jim
Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have checked and replaced the pass wheel bearing I have forgot to mention this. And there is no play in the 9-3 or 12-6.

I always use the synthetic brake grease packs when I change them the pass side caliper has been replaced. And I make sure the pins are greased. Pads are duralast gold.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rotor dust shield and/or the pad hardware (not caliper hardware) is touching the rotor, maybe.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took off the brake dust shield on both sides. Like brake shim? I think theres 1 missing brake pad retainer clip.

So nobody thinks the LCA has anything to do with this?

Well just ordered the EBC slotted rotor kit, gonna run their greenstuff pads too, probably change out that LCA then get it aligned.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:46 PM

Well...yes, a missing pad clip would cause all sorts of issues.

The Del Sol's brakes weren't designed to squeak from the factory. It cannot come down to needing a specific type of street brake pad to make the squeak go away.

14 pad/rotor changes (now 15?) means you're chasing the wrong issue.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Well...yes, a missing pad clip would cause all sorts of issues.

The Del Sol's brakes weren't designed to squeak from the factory. It cannot come down to needing a specific type of street brake pad to make the squeak go away.

14 pad/rotor changes (now 15?) means you're chasing the wrong issue.
K so just did the front LCA with new compliance bushing. Noise is still there!! No play in the wheel at all.

Reason why I want the EBC brakes is because of the material on there rotor, they say with that coating the pads have to break in properly.

And sense it's not the LCA, not braking in the pads right has to be what's it. I mean as soon as I throw them on the noise is gone. But slowly creeps back within a month or two, and I know how to use my brakes.

EBCs brakes are for a dummy.... You can't **** it up haha.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't got it aligned yet since I did that though. But I really don't think thats what's causing it.

Inner and outer tie rods
Coilovers
Lca
Wheel bearing
Caliper
Brake and rotor x14

​​​Has all been replaced within 6-12 months

​​​​​​Seems it would be cheaper to fly b serious down

​​​​​​
Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 AM

lol. check your pad hardware. are you still missing the clip?
Old 10-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
lol. check your pad hardware. are you still missing the clip?
Just went to O'Reillys today and got the clips but man it seems their very cheap and not of quality or for a universal application. I got it to barely squeeze in there.

Bought just one cheap rotor for that side replaced it with a extra set of pads I had lying around.

Now I'm at the alignment shop on the way there didn't hear any noises but that could just be cause i replaced the rotor *knock on wood*
Old 10-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so now I'm getting what seems like a bad rack end bushing noise. When I turn the wheel all the way to the left, car not moving, or moving I get this squeak coming from the rack. It will even do it going over bumps.

​​​​​​Think it's the rack end? Is it easier to do the whole rack or just that bushing?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by White_EG1
Ok so now I'm getting what seems like a bad rack end bushing noise. When I turn the wheel all the way to the left, car not moving, or moving I get this squeak coming from the rack. It will even do it going over bumps.

​​​​​​Think it's the rack end? Is it easier to do the whole rack or just that bushing?

More likely a lower ball joint. Lift the car up and turn the steering wheel back and forth. I'm guessing it goes away. Maybe even stays away for a little while after putting it back down?
Old 10-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that's what it seems like definitely isn't as faint when you jack it up.

Really hope it's the ball joint haha.

I checked for play again it feels as if there is no play in the 3-9 but I can hear something clicking when I'm moving it. Cant 100% it's the LBJ, but I mean would a rack even make noise in a up and down motion on the car? No play in 12-6 at all

Well a good excuse for some hard race ones
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 AM

when ball joints creak, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is play. It just means that there's striction in the bearing for *some* reason.

Did you dislodge them with a picklefork at some point?

In any case...you can dislodge them, spray some lithium grease into the boot (use an aerosol can and straw), put the car back together, put it on the ground, drive it, and see if the noise went away.

If the noise went away with the lube, you need a new joint. The lube is a temporary STFU.

I'd buy joints from Honda. Bernardiparts.com for example. I wouldn't recommend aftermarket.

After your new joints go in, I would recommend buying or renting a ball joint seperator or using the hammer-on-the-LCA method. Never use a picklefork.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:41 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my advice to op

have a mod move this thread to gdd