Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

Performance/Tuning Shop Locations in Orange county, Riverside, and San Diego areas..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliable car shop in san diego

I am going to need some work done on my dc2 and i now live in san diego, ca. I have not been here too long. But i am planning on being here for a while.

I guess what i am looking for is for information and recomendations for some car shops here in Diego. i will be looking for the work to start sometime before the next month. thank you.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: reliable car shop in san diego

umm.. what kind of shop are u looking for?? general repair or performance builder?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:42 PM

more so of a performance builder.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the best shop in diego:

Pann auto performance (www.pannauto.com)
858-278-pann
getting my gsr rebuild there right now
Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think most of the big name shops in diego have closed - you might reconsider orange county for shops...about an hour-hour and a half away but REALLY big names in the sport out this way

Just a thought

SP Engineering for one -- take a look around
Old 02-13-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by SergEK
I think most of the big name shops in diego have closed - you might reconsider orange county for shops...about an hour-hour and a half away but REALLY big names in the sport out this way

Just a thought

SP Engineering for one -- take a look around
orange county??.. damn, i just moved from there. Either way, thanks man, I'll take in consideration.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 AM

Any more options?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Default Performance/Tuning Shop Locations in Orange county, Riverside, and San Diego areas..

I live in San Diego and by the looks of it, I only found one shop.. WTF, I need more options.. Lol.. I need the car worked on asap.. Do u guys know of any good shops?.. Please, if u can, provide feedback about the shop and/or a contact name or number.. Any help will do.. Thank you!..
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance/Tuning Shop Locations in Orange county, Riverside, and San Diego area

The only mainstream shops in San Diego nowadays are Group 5 (Miramar area), Pann Auto (Kearny Mesa), and Sport Car Motion (San Marcos). There used to be a lot more, but they all closed down............places like Engineuity (National City), ARD Motorsports (Chula Vista), etc. If there are others, I do not know about them and they are probably holes in the wall anyway.

You gotta remember that San Diego is not very friendly to performance cars, especially imports. The local politicians made sure of that due to past street racing issues. The only legit way to race is the crappy 1/8 mile venue at Qualcomm. L.A. is far better as there are at least 3 tracks in Pomona, Fontana, Irwindale, etc.

My opinions...........

Pann Auto has had shady sales and service issues for many many years. They do not do any service work anymore and are just into sales only. If they farm out any work, it is to other "connections" they have. Pann has a history of not divulging where they send customer motors, heads, and trannies. I would rather deal directly and choose a shop who will handle a motor, head, or tranny.

Group 5 is probably the best shop we have in SD. They have been around for over 15 years. They do sales and service. All the guys there have always been cool. Thier range of cars is not just Hondas, Toyotas, Nissan.........unlike Pann Auto. They also delve alot into the Euro brands. I do not know where they send thier motors, heads, and trannies.

Sport Car Motion does sell some parts, but they are primarily builders. Loi Song (AKA The Tea Father) is the head honcho and is in the elite section of the Honda community as they have been written about many times in Honda Tuning magazine.

If you would like non-performance oriented shops, look for independent Honda / Acura mechanics such as J.C. Auto (Kearny Mesa), and Hontech Automotive (North Park).

So like some of the others have already stated, you get the best selection of performance service and parts in OC and LA. I've lived here for 12 years, but ditched San Diego a long time ago as a resource for building my Honda...........with a few exceptions.

I had my paint, body, and vehicle security done at Syndicate Automotive Concepts (Napa St. north of old town).

I had my upholstery done at Jim's Upholstery (Kearny Mesa)

I had my dyno tuning done at The Dyno Shop in Santee (near Gillispie Field).

I've gotten many parts from Pacific Auto Wrecking, Honda Acura Parts, and Import Auto Wrecking on Energy Way in Chula Vista (near Verizon Ampitheater)

Beyond all that, I had my motor done at Laskey Racing (Anaheim). Had my tranny done at Gearspeed.........now Synchro Tech (Inland Empire). I took many trips to Inline Four (Garden Grove) and JHP USA (San Gabriel) for various stuff.

I put the whole car together at home in my garage. I would never trust anyone in this town to service my car.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Performance/Tuning Shop Locations in Orange county, Riverside, and San Diego area

L&T automotive in La puente,

they are very good and they honda certified mechanics.

http://www.ltautomotive.com/performance.php