Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Best route for autox, allmotor or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best route for autox, allmotor or turbo?

Hey all, I haven't been able to find any thing with the search function so here it goes...

What is the best setup for autox? Would a turbo be something better to get and tune or would all motor be a better route for this kind of racing? All motor appeals to me more, but if thats something that won't perform very well in autox events then I will definately consider turbo. Also please take in consideration that I might want to do road racing and other things besides auto cross in the future, but no dragging.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:36 AM
New User

Default Re: Best route for autox, allmotor or turbo? (jaxle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaxle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the best setup for autox?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Guess I'm the first. Drive what you've got. Aside from the fact that you don't (yet) have the skills, modifying the engine puts you into a class that will be very tough to compete in.
At the beginning, there's too much other crap you have to learn before car setup is a factor.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:20 PM
jsi
Honda-Tech Member

You have to read the rules for whatever type of racing you want to do BEFORE you build the car. But even before that, you actually have to get your feet wet and race the car as it is (as long as it's in decent mechanical condition) for at least a full season. You will then have a much better idea of what you really want.

That said, which is better? It's not so much about which is better but which can actually be competitive. A n/a Civic DX with a D15 built to F-StreetPrepared class rules can own pretty much anything in that autocross class. It could actually be quite competitive in E-Prepared as well. Slap on a turbo and you go to either D-mod or StreetMod and get owned by monster Lotus roadsters in one or 400+hp BMWs in the other. Ur choice...
Old 07-06-2003, 02:40 PM

I guess I'm thinking too far ahead. I do plan on autox'ing in my car stock for a while, but I just like planning ahead. The reason for this is because I can't even autocross until I'm 18 because my mom won't sign the waiver (not because it's dangerous, but because of increased wear and tear on the car from "racing".) So while i wait 7 more months to turn 18 I can't stop thinking about it :/.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:37 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (jaxle)

stock. ask for lots of help.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:45 PM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (.RJ)

Your best bet is to probably stay stock until your skills improve over time. I kind of wish I would of did that but I just started getting into this autox thing so it was to late for me, but not for you. Stay stock for a while and learn it will pay off later on.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:10 PM

I wanna start autoxing, and I wanna know how long you guys recommend me staying stock? I wanna improve the driver the most and become as good as possible ASAP.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:09 AM

go all motor but first look at what class or even you want to then build around that. start with your susp. ls-vtec or just straight v-tec motor like itr or jdm gsr it comes with lsd already.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:56 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Best route for autox, allmotor or turbo? (jsb18b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsb18b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go all motor but first look at what class or even you want to then build around that. start with your susp. ls-vtec or just straight v-tec motor like itr or jdm gsr it comes with lsd already. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont spread misinformation - you have no idea what you're talking about.

Stay stock until you either get fast and maximize the setup, or get enough experience to know what you're getting into to move to another class.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best set-up for an autocross car is ALL-DRIVER

Seriously, though, It's probably good to stay stock for about a season. I know it can be painful at times, but there's a hundred good reasons to learn with a stock car. After that, you will start to learn the specific shortcomings of your car & start to change to suspension/etc. of your car as necessary. Right now, check out what clubs can be found around you (ie. SCCA,NASA,BMWCCA,PCA,etc.) and just go out and get some seat time. You might want to check out http://www.sccaforums.com or http://www.nasaforums.com to find some events in your area. But the most important rule of all is to just have fun
Old 07-07-2003, 12:44 PM
New User

Default Re: (Mjfan12)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mjfan12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wanna start autoxing, and I wanna know how long you guys recommend me staying stock? I wanna improve the driver the most and become as good as possible ASAP.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've been autoxing for about 2.xx seasons (I go to events kind of haphazardly) and I'm still stock, with plans to eventually go STS or STX.
I've picked a few drivers who are much faster than I am and I gauge my times with theirs. When I get within ~3 seconds of them, then I will start modifying. Unless I just can't wait anymore (I do it more for fun than competing).
How long is all about seat time. Take an Evolution school and it'll cut down your 'newbie' time.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:39 PM
YodaIsGod

Default Re: (Steppin Razor)

Agree stay stock for awhile. Get better as a driver first.
BTW, you may want to see if there are or will be any Evolution Driving Schools in your area. Great starting off point as well.

While at a auto-x, go on some ride alongs with people on their fun runs. Most people are willing to let you ride along. Pay attention to their lines, hand & foot movement, etc. Ask questions! Even if you think it's too dumb. Learn, drive, ride, etc.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Re: (Mjfan12)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mjfan12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wanna start autoxing, and I wanna know how long you guys recommend me staying stock? I wanna improve the driver the most and become as good as possible ASAP.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Goto as many events as possible and leave the car alone. play with tire pressures and alignment if you must "tune" something.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:38 PM
New User

I'm not sure what your goal is, but imo in autox it's most fun when you have the biggest competition. If I had a stock car in BS for example running against 10 other cars at the regional level, there would be no incentive to move "up" to an SP class where there might be less than half that field. IMO this would be a move "down". Stay where you have the best competition, as you'll also become a better driver faster. There are plenty of guys who autox for 10+ years at the national level driving stock cars simply because they like the competition (and because they can afford to always jump to the next fast car that comes out). Looking at the modified fields and prepared fields at the national level compared to the stock (and some SP fields), I don't see how a move to one of these more modified classes is considered moving "up".
Old 07-07-2003, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Best route for autox, allmotor or turbo? (Hracer)

I also agree with everyone. You will be much better off with staying in stock class. I just started autox this year and I'm starting my rookie season in street prepared b/c I have coilovers. I must say it sucks getting owned every event.

However, to answer your question an all-motor setup will be much better IMO for autox. You won't have to deal with turbo lag, which affects the balance of the car in the corners. Another option would be a supercharger. A few guys in my club have superchargers and are very competitive in their class.

But like some of the ppl said, do alot of research when you are ready to start doing mods to your car. Some mods will bump you up into a class that's very hard to be competitive, like in my situation.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:39 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaxle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the best setup for autox? Would a turbo be something better to get and tune or would all motor be a better route for this kind of racing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, as one of the faster n/a guys (in a honda at least)in Street Mod, it is very tough to beat up on the s/c m3's and one particular turbo neon. but, it is my thought that if the car is well setup (and noone blows coolant, oil, or looses wheels in front of me... ) it can trophy easily at nationals.
that being said, stay stock. if i could do it over again, i would have stayed in the stock class as long as possible.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:20 AM

So are NA and FI cars placed in the same classes?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:21 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (jaxle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaxle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So are NA and FI cars placed in the same classes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That depends
Old 07-08-2003, 08:52 AM
New User

Default Re: (.RJ)

Listen to the veterans...

Last year I raced my first full season with a 01 Prelude with Tein HA and azenis tires and did "ok". This season I'm racing with a 03 Celica GT-S with just the azenis. Racing stock is like a double edge sword...it can get quite frustrating when you race with say NASA and your class allows plenty of usueful mods and you are STOCK, not really fair but when on the other hand, when you learn to drive your car and beat out some people and put up a competitve time, people will notice your STOCK car and this can be quite rewarding. Whatever the downside is, it's something that you'll have to live with for a season, and that's what I keep telling myself because I know next season, I'll know more about my car and hopefully a better driver. You got another 7 months to go...basically catching next season. Don't think too much...