Exhaust fumes creeping into cabin! Is it my WG dump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust fumes creeping into cabin! Is it my WG dump?

My setup is 3" dp + 3" piping + Vibrant flat black muffler. I'm still running open wastegate dump.

When I'm in idle or driving slow in first gear with the heater on I can smell lots of fumes. No problem while driving. My heater is on fresh air and not recirulation. Now I'm guessing it has to be my WG dump but I thought they only open up when I'm under full boost.

Any ideas?

Old 12-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust fumes creeping into cabin! Is it my WG dump? (tweekerz)

What's your catchcan setup like? Are you running a cat?

I used to have an open PCV system, with tubing open to the ground, and in traffic I would get sick from the fumes. I did a proper catchcan setup and the fumes were less.

Nothing should be coming out of your wastegate dump unless you are at full boost, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust fumes creeping into cabin! Is it my WG dump? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's your catchcan setup like? Are you running a cat?

I used to have an open PCV system, with tubing open to the ground, and in traffic I would get sick from the fumes. I did a proper catchcan setup and the fumes were less.

Nothing should be coming out of your wastegate dump unless you are at full boost, so I wouldn't worry about that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No catch can yet, and I'm running no cat.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would definately figure out a catchcan solution first off. Even if it's a vented can with internal baffling, at least it would be separating some of those vapors out before you breathed them in.

I used to get headaches every day after driving home through traffic, and I couldn't figure out why. lol. Then I installed a catchcan and the headaches went away.

Breathing those fumes is not good for you.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust fumes creeping into cabin! Is it my WG dump? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would definately figure out a catchcan solution first off. Even if it's a vented can with internal baffling, at least it would be separating some of those vapors out before you breathed them in.

I used to get headaches every day after driving home through traffic, and I couldn't figure out why. lol. Then I installed a catchcan and the headaches went away.

Breathing those fumes is not good for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah its been on my to do list since I've been boosted. Where are those fumes coming from?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tweekerz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah its been on my to do list since I've been boosted. Where are those fumes coming from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know what... the hose that connected my valve cover to my old intake is not connected to anything...