Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

Advices / Thoughts needed on the 2019 Civic Sedan Sport - Back to the Honda World!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advices / Thoughts needed on the 2019 Civic Sedan Sport - Back to the Honda World!

Hello again,

Long short story, and after near 4 years, I've recently decided to jump back into the Honda world! I've owned several generations of Civic (1992, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2009 to be precise) in my life and I always loved driving them. Needless to say that it's obviously the perfect vehicle for a high school / college / university student! I did however leave Honda to go with a brand I had always liked (Lexus ), but ended up selling it 2 years after. I now drive a truck that I am getting rid of.

I'm currently shopping for a 2019 Civic Sedan, precisely the Sport trim (Canadian version with the 2L engine) that is basically a souped up EX and sitting just below the Touring trim. From my understanding, the Sport trim in USA is a souped up LX so for members living there, your Sport trim would not be comparable to ours. Anyways... I was wondering if some of you currently have this trim and if so, what you think about it? Mainly, I like the 18'' wheels, the leather/fabric seats and the deleted chrome almost everywhere around the car.

I test-drove one last month with the wife and was impressed by its size and capacity. They improved a lot in all aspects as compared to my previous 2009, hence why I'm considering. The suspensions are sporty but not too firm, and the steering is tight. It's really a big ''wow'' as compared to the previous generations of Civic. Plus, Honda Sensing seems really cool (hey, who doesn't like level 1 / 2 driving automation?). I liked the drive of the 2.0L and would rather not go with the 1.5T as I have reliability concerns on the long run. The extra 16hp just isn't worth it for me.

Let me know what you think of yours!

Cheers.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Advices / Thoughts needed on the 2019 Civic Sedan Sport - Back to the Honda World

Originally Posted by thecca
Hello again,
I liked the drive of the 2.0L and would rather not go with the 1.5T as I have reliability concerns on the long run. The extra 16hp just isn't worth it for me.

Let me know what you think of yours!

Cheers.
I'll stop you right there. Whatever you've heard about turbocharger vehicles being unreliable, it's straight horse manure. I've had 4 turbo-charged daily drivers for over 20 years and they are not any less reliable than anything NA. The torque is what makes the difference, (over 40ft-lbs) not the power.

Do as you will, (I mean welcome back to Honda, of course ) but the concerns you have regarding unreliability on the L15B7 turbo engine are completely without merit.

Carry on, friends
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Advices / Thoughts needed on the 2019 Civic Sedan Sport - Back to the Honda World

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'll stop you right there. Whatever you've heard about turbocharger vehicles being unreliable, it's straight horse manure. I've had 4 turbo-charged daily drivers for over 20 years and they are not any less reliable than anything NA. The torque is what makes the difference, (over 40ft-lbs) not the power.

Do as you will, (I mean welcome back to Honda, of course ) but the concerns you have regarding unreliability on the L15B7 turbo engine are completely without merit.

Carry on, friends
Thanks for your reply. I want to precise that I don't have concerns about turbocharged engines in general (I'm a fan, in fact), but do have some on this particular one as it is a fairly new engine produced in the Civic (3 years I believe) and I've read on a few issues, such as the oil dilution. The size of the engine is also a concern for me. I fear it wouldn't be able to warm up quickly and stay warm in extreme cold weather (we have regular -20F to -30F temperatures in Winter). As I said, I can't justify the extra bucks for the Touring (which is the only trim in 2019 where the 1.5T is available in Canada).
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by thecca
Thanks for your reply. I want to precise that I don't have concerns about turbocharged engines in general (I'm a fan, in fact), but do have some on this particular one as it is a fairly new engine produced in the Civic (3 years I believe) and I've read on a few issues, such as the oil dilution. The size of the engine is also a concern for me. I fear it wouldn't be able to warm up quickly and stay warm in extreme cold weather (we have regular -20F to -30F temperatures in Winter). As I said, I can't justify the extra bucks for the Touring (which is the only trim in 2019 where the 1.5T is available in Canada).
I have 2017 L15B7 in Michigan. Not a problem with heat or anything starting warm. We've had similar temperatures this year alone. Again, unfounded speculation.

your oil dilution had been solved by software update. We're didn't have the problem here as much.

You have to drive one to know the differences.

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-22-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't worry, I did my homework and tried the 1.5T (Touring 2019) the same day I had tried the Sport!

I bought the Sport Sedan this week. Getting it today at noon. Will post pictures & provide feedback shortly.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

My parents just picked up a 19’ Sport. Overall seems like a great package, decent interior and not too cheesy exterior styling, something you look at and say to yourself I wouldn’t mind driving that. Paint QC acceptable.Initial impression is motor feels adequate driving around town. Front suspension action seemed a little loud driving slow in the neighbourhood over bumps. Nice wide tire foot print, Goodyear made in Canada. 18” wheel might a little overkill but this is what the market wants apparently.

How can anyone comment on Honda turbo motor longevity since they have only been out a few years. More heat and more moving parts is a recipe for more reliability? we will see how they fair. Generally we keep our cars for 15+ years and I drive them to the ground. Will we see how many of these cars are still driving with original engine/trans after 10 years. My K24 has 350k km on an ‘05 as comparison.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just brought home a 2020 Civic Si sedan two days ago. Traded in a 2016 Mercedes C300 Sport 4-Matic for it. Couldn't be happier. What an awesome little car. Fun to drive and I'm still getting 40.5 mpg on the highway. Put 200 miles on it in 2 days and can't wait to get back behind the wheel every time.
I didnt test drive a sport but I love the way the hatch looks. I dont think you can go wrong with whatever you choose. These are great cars for the money.