Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

head bolts for a b20vtec not arp

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head bolts for a b20vtec not arp

I'm collecting parts for a b20vtec with a gsr head build I want to uses gsr head bolts because I won't be boosting it and won't need arp bolt. I don't know what brand would be the best, let me know what brands have a good reputation and makes quality stock gsr head bolts. Also it will have about a 10.5:1 compression ratio, what would be the best spark plugs and to use?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: head bolts for a b20vtec not arp

Well since OEM head bolts are out of production, ARP is your best bet.

Plus ARP are re-usable.

For something that important, just pul the trigger for the right part.

Everytime you try to save a buck, it'll cost you 2!
Do it right the 1st time and then you wont have to look back
Old 03-15-2019, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

While it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with ARP wouldn't it be overkill. I probably will go with ARP but if I don't have to I won't.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

what are your other choices?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
what are your other choices?
I'll be pulling the head from a jump yard so the actual stock bolts, I'll probably just go with arp just to be safe.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get arp. I’m sure you’re gonna want to rev your motor higher than the stock b20 redline. And bet you wouldn’t want your head to lift. Extra insurance right there.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White_EG1
Get arp. I’m sure you’re gonna want to rev your motor higher than the stock b20 redline. And bet you wouldn’t want your head to lift. Extra insurance right there.
Oh I didn't think about lifting the head. Yeah I'm going to get ARP rod bolds and rev it to 8400, don't worry I have the valvetrain for it. Too bad they don't make b20 sleeves so I can rev it to 10,000; I'll have to get a 84mm sleeved b18.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Fish Twig

so, what you wanted to hear was 'you can re-use the old head bolts' right? cuz a mod just told you that the oem headbolts were discontinued,..
Old 03-16-2019, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by j_the_guy
Oh I didn't think about lifting the head. Yeah I'm going to get ARP rod bolds and rev it to 8400, don't worry I have the valvetrain for it. Too bad they don't make b20 sleeves so I can rev it to 10,000; I'll have to get a 84mm sleeved b18.
O U must troll alot

Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
Well since OEM head bolts are out of production, ARP is your best bet.

Plus ARP are re-usable.

For something that important, just pul the trigger for the right part.

Everytime you try to save a buck, it'll cost you 2!
Do it right the 1st time and then you wont have to look back
The OEM bolts are actually still available. The part number is 90006-P72-003 and is still active.

Lifting the head only comes from increased cylinder pressures. Increased engine RPM does not increase cylinder pressure, so upgraded cylinder head fasteners would not be necessary for this issue. More HP and more boost create increased cylinder pressures, and thus would require cylinder head fasteners that can handle these increased pressures. This discussion assumes that ignition timing is appropriate... aggressive ignition advance will cause dangerous cylinder pressure spikes even in NA applications that can lift the head and blow a head gasket, although piston damage usually comes first. In this case however, the issue isn't that the head bolt wasn't strong enough...

so, what you wanted to hear was 'you can re-use the old head bolts' right? cuz a mod just told you that the oem headbolts were discontinued,..
If you knew the history of a set of head bolts... and they had only been torqued once... twice... maybe even three times previously... and hadn't been OVER-TORQUED... there is no reason to think that they couldn't be re-used. There is no way to know how a set from the salvage yard has been treated... after all, the vehicle IS in a junk yard.

OP, if you do choose to purchase a set of upgraded head studs, the ARP product is NOT the best choice out there. Although ARP does make a lot of great products, the Honda/Acura DOHC head bolt applications are not one of them. The A1 Technologies product, which has been private labeled by AEBS, Golden Eagle, etc. is a vastly superior product and I would recommend that you acquire a set of them instead.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the correction JR. Ya learn something new everyday
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the correction JR. Ya learn something new everyday
It wasn't meant to be a correction White_EG1... more like information that is presented to be educational. I meant no disrespect.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The OEM bolts are actually still available. The part number is 90006-P72-003 and is still active.

Lifting the head only comes from increased cylinder pressures. Increased engine RPM does not increase cylinder pressure, so upgraded cylinder head fasteners would not be necessary for this issue. More HP and more boost create increased cylinder pressures, and thus would require cylinder head fasteners that can handle these increased pressures. This discussion assumes that ignition timing is appropriate... aggressive ignition advance will cause dangerous cylinder pressure spikes even in NA applications that can lift the head and blow a head gasket, although piston damage usually comes first. In this case however, the issue isn't that the head bolt wasn't strong enough...

If you knew the history of a set of head bolts... and they had only been torqued once... twice... maybe even three times previously... and hadn't been OVER-TORQUED... there is no reason to think that they couldn't be re-used. There is no way to know how a set from the salvage yard has been treated... after all, the vehicle IS in a junk yard.

OP, if you do choose to purchase a set of upgraded head studs, the ARP product is NOT the best choice out there. Although ARP does make a lot of great products, the Honda/Acura DOHC head bolt applications are not one of them. The A1 Technologies product, which has been private labeled by AEBS, Golden Eagle, etc. is a vastly superior product and I would recommend that you acquire a set of them instead.
any idea where i can find some A1 technologies studs? and dont say google either because im literally finding nothing about them except for diesel applications, and golden eagle only sells ARP head studs now.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to know where I can find the a1 technologies head studs too for the best price as long as they aren't stupid expensive if they are better than arp I will buy then.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to know where I can find the a1 technologies head studs too for the best price as long as they aren't stupid expensive if they are better than arp I will buy then.
after a l little searching ive come to the conclusion that they no longer exist, the only A1 technologies ive found are for diesels and they are $700 and up so even if they did make honda studs it would probably be outrageous
Old 03-19-2019, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It wasn't meant to be a correction White_EG1... more like information that is presented to be educational. I meant no disrespect.
Oh no no, not like that. I like being corrected. I feel it’s what makes the truth go around, and stay around here.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM
Fish Twig

been gone for 3 or 4 days, whats the verdict? A1 sauce or ARP derp.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigjon1378
any idea where i can find some A1 technologies studs? and dont say google either because im literally finding nothing about them except for diesel applications, and golden eagle only sells ARP head studs now.
Motorvations Motorsports has them in stock. Give them a call. They are a bit more expensive than the ARP bolts... but worth it.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Motorvations Motorsports has them in stock. Give them a call. They are a bit more expensive than the ARP bolts... but worth it.
ohhh really???? i like talking to jim, maybe ill have to give him a call now, thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-20-2019, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Arp makes great studs. If you need more than a standard ARP, then get the L19s. If youre not going turbo, then in reality OEM bolts are fine. IIRC, Fel-pro sells stock replacement bolts at very reasonable price.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not trying to cheap out if I don't need ARP because I won't be boosting it I don't need them. Does anyone know the quality of DNJ head bolts or where to find the better oem replacement bolts?