Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 Civic "EX" (Canadian Si) - 22-pin green plug under steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic "EX" (Canadian Si) - Keyless System & Security System

Hi guys,

I've read into this a little bit and I recently found out that some 6th gen's came factory from Honda with Keyless remote functionality. So I know that 96-98 used a module built off of the stock radio to use the keyless receiver while the 99-00's used a control unit in the kick panel. I checked my kick panel and did not see any control unit or the 18-pin plug for it. I called up a couple different Honda dealerships to which they all told me that my car did not come with the keyless system. From there I gave up..... until today.

My kick panel:

I was cleaning my car when I found this under the right side of my steering wheel:

Now that I've found this plug, I'm curious on where it's supposed to plug into. I've seen the plugs for the 99-00 control unit and the one off of a 96-98 radio and it looks like it would plug into the radio module. I do have an aftermarket deck and when I was wiring it, there was only 1 blue plug in the dash there for it. Can someone help me out here and tell me where this is really supposed to plug into?

Thanks.

Last edited by EricEJ8; 03-25-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Civic "EX" (Canadian Si) - 22-pin green plug under steering wheel

So I looked into this a little more and there was the option for a security system (The control unit mounts next to the steering column). This is what that 22-pin green plug is for along with the 2-pin plug next to it (for the LED). There is also a 6-pin plug and 4-pin plug tucked behind the fuse box for the security system as well. What I don't understand is that all the plugs for the optional security system is there but there is no plug for the keyless control module in the kick panel. Did Honda make 2 floor harness'? 1 with keyless and 1 without?

There is a manual here regarding the install for the security system and 1 of the parts regarding it is the keyless remote but it says for an LX and or 4 door models. Does this mean that the security control unit does function as part of the keyless system? If so, would the remotes work with the coupe?
https://www.handa-accessories.com/ci...ritylxexvp.pdf
Old 03-25-2019, 03:02 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Civic "EX" (Canadian Si) - 22-pin green plug under steering wheel

From what I can tell in the ETM, on the Canadian Si, the Security System also powers the door locks and functions as a remote locks setup. You'd need to troll junkyards to find the kit and pull it yourself. Not impossible!!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 Civic "EX" (Canadian Si) - Keyless System & Security System

Originally Posted by deschlong
From what I can tell in the ETM, on the Canadian Si, the Security System also powers the door locks and functions as a remote locks setup. You'd need to troll junkyards to find the kit and pull it yourself. Not impossible!!
I think you're right. The Canadian higher trim civics have the Power Door Lock Control Unit which controls the locks from the toggle on the driver door but there is no Keyless Door Lock Control Unit in the driver kick panel nor is there even the gray 18-pin plug for it. I hardly believe that Honda would go to the full extent of making a completely separate harness for the EX/Si/SiR with that 18-pin plug and without that plug. The complete harness for the optional security system is there and taped up in blue tape. There is a brown plug in the engine bay by the washer tank and a brown plug behind the driver fuse box for the OEM fog lights but I don't even think they were an option from factory for the USDM and CDM civics. You could buy them as an accessory from Honda and install it yourself (Which I did. The toggle switch for it sits right next to the mirror adjustment controls on the left side of the steering wheel in the blank space. If done properly, the fogs turn off when you turn on your high beams).

I looked up some more wiring stuff to possibly solve this a bit more and this is what I found:

This is for the 99-00 models but I think more so for the American models. C451 is there ^ and should be in the kick panel but on mine at least, it isn't.

Following the previous diagram that marks every plug in the dash, I found all the plugs minus C451 (The keyless control unit) and C450 for the valet switch, which I think is for the OEM alarm disarm switch. I'm pretty sure it's there, I just haven't found it yet.

On the 99-00 models, the security control unit is supposed to mount next to the steering column and uses that green 22-pin plug.

These are essentially the kits used to install the OEM security system but I'm curious as to why it just says for 4 doors. The remote kit says it's required for the LX models only so I'm guessing that the security control unit DOES have the keyless remote functionality.

They also have an instruction manual for the security unit on the hatchbacks/base model coupes but they don't come with the security harness from factory.

There is also this diagram for the 99-00 models but as you can see, there is nothing here regarding the Control Unit in the kick panel. C447 appears on the diagram which is that green 22-pin plug.

Does this information seem like enough to confirm whether the OEM security system does double down as a remote receiver as well?

Last edited by EricEJ8; 03-25-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The SE (Special Edition) models are pretty much the DX models with some added features like the keyless and I think AC to which they only made the SE for the 2000 year. I know somebody who had one of these and he said that it had keyless entry with the fobs but not the security unit next to the steering column? Was there something different about this model compared to the higher trim models?

Last edited by EricEJ8; 03-25-2019 at 08:28 AM.