Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Engine stops when I come off highway

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stops when I come off highway

hey everyone. This is my first post on here. I’m looking for some help on my ol accord.

Today driving into work, the engine shut off while I took an exit off the highway. One thing I noticed is that I hit the light just right to make it through, where usually I come to a stop at that light. I sat there and waited about 8 minutes trying to turn the car on (I’d wait about 1 minute then try again). It would turn over without issue but the engine wouldn’t start up. It would get close like it wanted to and then fail again. I finally removed the key from the ignition and waited a good two minutes and then it started.

This is has happened once before. About 1.5 months ago.

My my question is where do I begin? I’m not sure if this is a sensor issue, extrications, fuel pump etc. I don’t notice any weird idling or anything abnormal while driving. I just completed a 700 mile round trip last week and had no issues.

The only time time the engine has shut off was while going from high speed to a stop. It has not shut off while at a stand still.

Let me me know if more info is needed. I appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Engine stops when I come off highway

Originally Posted by Johnathan Nuss
Let me me know if more info is needed. I appreciate it.
year
trim (EX, LX, DX...)
engine (4cyl, V6, non-VTEC...)
transmission (auto or manual)

some guessing based on what you've described- you're loosing either spark or fuel. spark is probably the easier of the two to check for. review the various methods for checking spark, pick your favorite and be ready to check next time the car cuts off. you'll rule out one or the other based on your results. go from there.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4 cyl
manual
LX
145k miles
Old 12-11-2018, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some proactive things to do:

-check the wear components in the ignition system- spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires. replace as required.
-check the base idle and mechanical timing. instructions should be easy to find.
-look for the simple stuff under the hood- loose or broken wires, things out of place, ect.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is pretty much exactly what happened when my iacv started to fail. Would start and drive fine... then randomly would die at lights. Would have to wait a little bit and it would start and run fine, until days, weeks, or months later it would do it again. In honda fashion, it finally completely gave out pulling into my driveway. They always get you home. Lol
Old 12-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’ll check all those things. I don’t think the plugs have ever been changed, at least not in the 8 years I’ve had it. So those could very well need changed. As for the IACV, is there a good way to check it’s bad? I’ll look into that as well.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ColeCooper90
This is pretty much exactly what happened when my iacv started to fail. Would start and drive fine... then randomly would die at lights. Would have to wait a little bit and it would start and run fine, until days, weeks, or months later it would do it again. In honda fashion, it finally completely gave out pulling into my driveway. They always get you home. Lol
When the base idle is set correctly a failing IACV will be a noticeable change but shouldn't cause the engine to stall. Just FYI
Old 12-12-2018, 11:54 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

When the engine dies, and the car fails to start, does the dash function normally?
Chased down a faulty ignition switch a while ago. Car would sometimes randomly die after startup or would take an extra crank to go. Figured it was the switch, but of course let it die a proper death while I was on the freeway cruising... yeah, fun stuff.
See if when cranking and you hold hte key midway between II and III if the engine will stay running. If so the ignition switch (~$30) is toast.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Normal dash. I’ll try that tomorrow. And this weekend I’ll get a chance to check some stuff out. Been a busy week at work.

Thanks for for all the feedback so far. I’ll report any results.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Johnathan Nuss
I’ll check all those things. I don’t think the plugs have ever been changed, at least not in the 8 years I’ve had it.
This is a good place to start. ebay tends to have the best prices on 4 and 6 packs of NGK's.

Coming off throttle, the charge in the cylinder with go slightly rich as the throttle body plate closes. If you've got a huge gap on the plugs with a long, weak spark, it probably can't ignite it. I bet if you gradually feather off the throttle, it won't stall.

Sightly tough start on cold mornings too?

Old 12-16-2018, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary on cold mornings. Although the coldest morning I’ve encountered here in MS is about 30 degrees so I’m not sure it would necessarily register.

Also with what you said, I have noticed that the engine stalls only when switching from gear into neutral. The two times it stalled coming of the highway, I shifted from 5th to neutral and it stalled. The first time it sputtered to a stall. The second time it stalled more immediately as I shifted to neutral.

And that’s good to know. I’m thinking the plugs could be a good bet as they may have 145k miles on them. I have no idea if they’ve ever been replaced. Even if they aren’t the problem it’s probably a good idea to change em regardless.