Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Accord 1995 wont shift and downshift

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Accord 1995 wont shift and downshift

When i put in D4 it directly goes to 3rd gear and then shifts to 4rth gear which is also delayed. Similarly it downshifts to only 3rd gear from 4rth gear only, it does not downshift to 2nd and 1st gear even if stop the car. Needs suggestions.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Accord 1995 wont shift and downshift

Check for any stored codes. Not all codes will set off the CEL/D4 lamp.
Check your TV cable to the trans it shouldn't be pretension nor have any slack.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for reply.

I have adjusted the TV Cable as per service manual. it is neither tensed nor any play in it. I have not checked the Shift control solenoids, could these be clogged:
Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Today i inspected the TV cable once again, at fully closed throttle position, there is huge play in TV lever. is this ok?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One more thing to remember, I have bought this new Transmission from a junkyard, did not service it and just installed in car. after 2 days i changed its transmission fluid, there was dirt and water in it. I used kixx ATF Dx3 for this as Honda ATF is costly and i was planning to flush it after some miles. could this issue be related to transmission oil? One more thing, i a manually put it to D3, 2 and 1 position then it changes gear fine but with jerk.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:45 AM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by Shahab_Zia
Today i inspected the TV cable once again, at fully closed throttle position, there is huge play in TV lever. is this ok?
Where is the play?
The lever should be horizontal at rest, with no tension from the cable on it. It is spring loaded so it should always want to return to a horizontal position.
Disconnect the transmission side of the cable at the ball end.
It can be manually lifted. If it is sticking, manually exercise it up and down to unstick it. Make sure that it fully rests. If the cable was too tight the lever may not fully return to its at rest position on its own.
TV cable/lever controls internal pressure of the transmission.
If too loosely adjusted the pressure will be too low and the transmission may not shift or slip.
If too tightly adjusted the pressure will be higher, shifting will be early and hard.

I used kixx ATF Dx3 for this as Honda ATF is costly and i was planning to flush it after some miles. could this issue be related to transmission oil?
In the service manual Honda ATF or Dexron II are fine as replacement fluids. I would suggest buying three gallons of generic DII/III. Drain, refill drive around to get all gears activated normally as well as reverse and allow the fluid to circulate all selectable positions. Drain and refill again. If you can purcahse a hydraulic system cleaner, such as SeaFoam TransTune, that would also aid in removing contaminates from the system.
One more thing, i a manually put it to D3, 2 and 1 position then it changes gear fine but with jerk.
When initially going into gear the H4As do 'thump' into gear.
Check your firewall engine mount, AT cars have a diapragm on them that changes the stiffness of the mount, if the diaphragm is busted, vacuum controls are non functional, the lever(controlled by the diapragm) is damaged or sticking, or the mount itself has ruptured it may not properly dampen any shift events.
Check the front mount by the radiator. It is really a limiter, it prevents excessive movement during shifts. If it is torn or broken replace it, this will greatly reduce movement, even with a working rear mount the front mount does reduce a quit a bit of movement.
If the shifting itself is harsh or erratic, check the NM and NC sensors on the right side cover of the trans. These are magnetic pickups that are used to monitor shaft speeds which the TCU uses to determine shift points. If they are covered in ferrous material the resolution of the signal will be weak and the TCU may shift incorrectly.
Down shifting is monitored via the VSS. If it is dirty it may cause harsh or erratic downshifts.

Transmission functionality is greatly affected by engine tune and sensors. Even if a sensor is not setting a code it still may be out of spec.
Verify the battery is holding a full charge.
Verify the battery leads are clean and tight.
Verify the main grounds and bonding jumpers are installed clean and tight connections.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks MAD_MIKE, i was waiting for your reply. About Throttle Control Lever, at full-throttle control position, there is huge play.
I have adjusted the play at fully closed position. I have also changed Transmission oil once again, again there was water in it, no other contamination like dirt found. I have checked ATF Cooler lines, they are Good. So probably there was already water in transmission in it.
Now i am worried if the 'Throttle Control Lever' play at full-throttle position is ok or not? how would this effect transmission?
Waiting for your help.

thanks again.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 PM
MM Gruppe B

About Throttle Control Lever, at full-throttle control position, there is huge play.
I have adjusted the play at fully closed position.
Not sure what you mean by play at WOT.
Does the lever move around rather than just rotate?
The lever on the trans can be rotated more than what the TV cable can do at WOT, if that's what you mean the lever is fine. This allows for the lever to be slightly over adjusted without binding up cable or limiting TB from going to WOT, actual.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes lever moves other than up and down.
Also if you press accelerator to full, still level can move upwards. that's what i am worried about.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:24 PM
MM Gruppe B

The lever itself is bolted to the shaft. Make sure the bolt is not loose or damaged. Bolt is on the underside and should have a lock washer that folds over and prevents the bolts from turning after tightening. Not a split washer.

As for going to WOT and you can still rotate the lever more, that is fine. That allows for adjustment, if need be, to raise the pressure if it is low at idle or low throttle applications.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks MAD_MIKE. I appreciate the help. I will check it and update.