Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del Sol Si - Fuel Injector Rebuild/New vtec gaskets/PCV "mod" = Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 93 Del Sol Si - Fuel Injector Rebuild/New vtec gaskets/PCV "mod" = Not Starting

Originally Posted by HairyHarry
Welp, I'll probably just get some new ones then. I'll update this thread with the outcome once I get and install them. Hopefully this will be the fix that makes this car running (good) again and assist whatever underlying problems it has relating to this and the smog problem.
Got me some remanufactured oem fuel injectors and installed them not too long ago. Lo and behold, the car still doesn't want to start........................

I used some starting fluid by spraying it at the end of the rubber intake tube towards the air filter, but that didn't make the car start either. So the problem must be something other than fuel related (right?).

Anybody have any ideas? I'll probably test for spark again, and maybe test the fuel injectors after. God, I'm so close to just dropping a match into the gas tank .
Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: 93 Del Sol Si - Fuel Injector Rebuild/New vtec gaskets/PCV "mod" = Not Starting

You check your coolant temp sensor?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
You check your coolant temp sensor?
I did not... But I did figure out what the problem was, fixed it, and got the car running again .

It turns out that the PCV system that I modified was causing it to not run correctly ......

After cleaning the under-hood fuse box and returning the old battery, I decided to return the PCV valve to its proper upright position (refer to illustration;re-remodified) just so that it wouldn't cause any future problems.

So after removing the PCV valve and hoses, I figured I should test to see if the car will start with an open source of airflow (no valve installed). I jump-started it (I think the battery is too weak) and Voila!; it started, but then the idle rose to 3k quickly and I shut it off. Jumped it again and let it run for several seconds; the idle would rise to 3k, drop a little, rise to 3k, drop a little, etc.

Now I know the source of the no-start problem is within the PCV system. Is the valve broken? Was there a kink in the hose? I wanted to find out/fix the problem, so next I installed the PCV valve in the upright position while using autoparts-store hose for the lower hose. Then instead of using autoparts-store hose for the upper hose, I reused the $30 OEM hose that I damaged when I first removed it; luckily it fitted. Jumped it again, and hot-diggity-dog, it ran just fine.

Took it for a little drive around the neighborhood and it ran with pretty much no problem; it never died. However, the RPM when slowing down or coming to a stop, dropped pretty low (almost to the point of it dying), but I suspect that it's because of the battery being weak (correct me if I'm wrong).

So this whole ****-show ended up being the result of a somehow screwed up PCV system. Maybe something was blocking the airflow? Maybe the $30 hose is special in some way? I don't know, but at least the car is running (and now I know my timing/ignition is good, plus new(ish) injectors to allow for proper firing that it didn't have before). Now I can go deal with all the late fees when I get it registered here in a couple of days (after hopefully passing smog). Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.