Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Fixing My '95 Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing My '95 Del Sol

Hi Guys,

I joined this site a few months ago and am having a heck of a time learning how to use it. Anyways, I'm tired of trying to figure it out and am gonna try to put something out there.

First- I need a hood for my 1995 Del Sol and found one on line (Item # 1283) from an online site.
(Can anyone tell me if they had problems with this hood (Item #1283) fitting OR can anyone tell me where they bought a hood for their Del Sol that fit easily by just screwing it on??? that I can purchase?)

... I received it a while ago but the guy who was to help me put it on didn't show multiple times so I finally tried to do it myself with my sister on June 26 (my Birthday). We took it out of the box and put it on, no problem right? WRONG! It didn't fit! The latch was about 1/2" off (too far forward) to shut the hood.

I went to and auto part store nearby and he said to take it off and drill where there were some marks and that would probably work. (I didn't think I would have to do any drilling , Plus there won't be and threads there so I don't know if this will work? ....Shouldn't I be able to just screw it on without having to drill anything??

Anyways...I used a bungee cord to close it and planned on dealing with it the next day (we were going out to dinner for my BD).

But...before we went out my girlfriend didn't want to take her car so I didn't think much of it and we decided to take my car.

NOW, I figure you all know what happened next... and I am really embarrassed admitting this but.... I'm hoping someone will learn from my Mistakes besides me.

We were driving up the road and only got a few blocks away and to about 40 MPH when suddenly I heard a loud noise and then COULD NOT SEE ANYTHING EXCEPT BLACK in front of my eyes...... What was this BLACK???? My goddamn hood!!!! The hood that I had just put on my car and only bungeed closed (I WAS UNABLE TO LATCH IT CLOSED).........

It had FLIPPED UP, SMASHED against the windshield and was standing straight up in the air. Fortunately we were safe and did NOT get in an accident but,my girl FREAKED OUT and now this hood looks as bad as the one I rear ended into the SUV 3 months ago!!!

Here's where I want to start a thread labeled........

"DumbAss **** I've Done Trying to Fix My Car"

You see....I am a very NEW BEE at this **** (just about 1 month) and this is the 2nd REALLY DUMB thing I've done (ALREADY) while working on my car and I just started working on my car a month ago.

The 1st dumb thing was to decide to throw away any old stuff and clean up really well after each time I work on my car (1995 Honda Del Sol) to stay organized.......

....Well of course I must have thrown out the:

"Fog (Accessory) Light Bulb Socket with its wire" Honda OEM#-33902-SR2-A01 that plugs into the car... Which they don't sell anywhere anymore!!!!

(#1 Lesson Learned: DO NOT THROW ANYTHING OUT UNTIL YOUR PROJECT IS COMPLETE!!!)

(#2 Lesson Learned: NEVER DRIVE YOUR CAR IF THE HOOD LATCH DOESN'T WORK!! (EVEN IF YOU'VE BUNGEED IT CLOSED)!!!

I couldn't find the original Accessory Lights for the car ,finally found something to take its place but now I'm missing the socket for it!!

I Need a Few Parts, Please write me if you can help OR if you have advice on where to get parts (besides stop trying to do it myself).

Here are the parts and the OEM #'s I need for my 1995 Honda Del SOL S:

1)Hood OEM #- 60100-SR@-A90ZZ

2)Hood Weatherstripping #-74142SR2020

3) "H" Emblem on front of car #75700-SR2-000

4)Inside Door Panel (Drivers side) basically the armrest and the parts attatched to it (dont have that #)

Also, I would LOVE a pair of the original accessory lights
I think thats it (I'll add more as I find it out myself.). Can you guys Please Help me Locate some of these parts ??

PLEASE HELP ME & THANKS FOR LISTENING!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default re: Fixing My '95 Del Sol

Hood latch got pushed back in the (first) crash. So it looks like the new hood is too far forward, actually the rest of the car is too far back. If you're going to keep this car (really here two hoods, broken windshield and lights maybe just call it totaled). you'll have to pull on stuff in the front to bend and move it back out.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:46 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your local bone yard, [PicknPull] is your best friend for discoed parts. 94
Old 06-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think this is the case. Everything is lined up nice on the car and it was practically a fender bender (except for the fact it was the hood,not the fender ). I thought of that but truly believe it not to be the case. Thanks though.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:55 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by RainbowHiker
I don't think this is the case. Everything is lined up nice on the car and it was practically a fender bender (except for the fact it was the hood,not the fender ). I thought of that but truly believe it not to be the case. Thanks though.
It IS the case, the rad support gets pushed back and will look totally normal.

Same thing is with my civic hatch. Previous owner had a little mishap and there was a crease down part of the hood. They said a 4x4 back into it. I think it was a little worse as the passenger mirror was also replaced.

Needles to say, when I took the creased hood off and put a nice shiny straight hood from another civic hatch, my latch was about a half inch off.

I used washers behind the latch mechanism on the rad cross member to bring it the half inch forward.

The proper fix is to use a steal square iron and a come along and pull the member back forward the half inch but I don't have a nice fat tree to hook up to to attempt something like that.

Now looking at every part of the car, you can not tell the rad support that holds the hood latch is pushed back a half inch. But the nice straight hood over the bent hood tells the real tale.

You rear ended someone, your rad support moved a little causing straight hood fitment issues.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fixing My '95 Del Sol

How can I pull the whole forward? Is that piece that the whole and hood latch is on the rad support? Is that removveale or movable? I thought it was the frame of the car?
Old 07-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

How can I pull the whole forward? Is that piece that the whole and hood latch is on the rad support? Is that removveale or movable? I thought it was the frame of the car?
It's tack welded into place. The redneck method of moving it forward is similar as putting the car frame onto a frame rack and pulling the frame straight.

We would put a nice steal bar behind the rad support and tie a strap around the middle of it, and the other end would go to a come along and a tree. You would then use the come along to pull the support back into home position bit by bit.

On my old beater Dodge in '94, instead of a come along, we tied directly to the tree and I used reverse, HIGHLY NOT recommended. :D
Old 07-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the pigtails and accessory lights with brackets.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 AM
Shit Posts: 15

You should have an auto body parts store near you.
Call them and tell them your exact car make and model and ask for the hood. I'm pretty sure they will get it for you.

Dont worry, hoods fly up on people more often than you think.

Inspect your hood hinges, they may be bent as well, causing the hood not to sit where its suppose to.

Get your new hood, verify that it is the correct hood for you car.
Put the hood on your car(after hinges are verified to be in working order) and pull/push radiator support as needed.

The come-a-long way to,cat said is an easy way to do it.
Replacing the support is always an option.
GL.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I took so long to get back on this! JDM thanks for letting me feel a little less stupid than I did!
Well, I do was to say thanks to TomCat39 and mk378 and let them know they were ABSOLUTELY CORRECT on my problem. It IS the rad bar (Sorry I doubted you!!). But, I did find a place the will pull it forward 1/4-1/2" and put the hood on for me for a very reasonable price. Unfortunately when I brought them the hood yesterday they opened the box to find many problems with it!! Now, I am thankfully awaiting a replacement from where I bought it.

Does anyones else feel that for everything they fix on their car 1 or 2 others things break? I now found a dent on the top of my DelSol, fist size,(right above the sun visors). When I asked the place that is pulling the front forward they said they would remove the windshield, and it would cost a bundle. They gave me some guys name who said he'd do it for $200cash , what really gets me mad is I believe it was the construction guys working on the home next door who did it but can't prove it. I was thinking on removing the inside of the front of the roof (around the sun visors) and hoping there would be access to the roof so I could push the roof back up??? Do you think this would work OR have a better suggestion on how to fix this??

One more thing is I posted that the mast of my (nonelectric) antenna broke off. Would I only need the mast or do I need more parts to repair this?? Does anyone know how to post pictures??? I was asked to send pics but, have tried a few times and can't figure it out???

Lastly, eghatch9295, do you still have the fog lights with the pigtails??? If so...How much do you want??

Thanks everyone for your input!!! I really hope I can help some of you out sometime on this forum

Old 08-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

A picture are worth a thousand words. Post clear, informative pictures.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Shit Posts: 15

You can try pulling the heasliner off but usually there is a skeleton piece of metal before the roof. You might not be able to get to the dent.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All that covers that small piece is your sun visors, and one center piece of plastic trim. Easy to remove (need security bits to remove visors). After that the center plastic, and A pillar plastic just pop off. There is inner framing though so you would have to push up through small holes, cant see muvh of that panel from inside. Probably better to attack from the outside with a large suction cup on a hot day .................................................. .................................................. ........... Or just bondo the dent and put stickers over it ::Kappa::

Every project is going to be a battle, especially when you take a 20+ year old car and try and make it your baby. Sometimes its worth the trouble though, you just have to take the bad with the good. I find for every project of my sol i take on i break something (windshield, clips, light lens, snapped bolts, created shorts, ex.) . So i just look at it as "if it doesn't break, how will i learn to fix it?" then proceed to dust the salt off my shoulder and get back to work. Gud luck m8

P.S. Yes i have actually broken my own windshield before... installing trim clips... sigh

P.P.S I personally would order (#10) + (#19) and delete the whole OEM antennae location. If you still want radio put it in the dash or 3rd brake light ex. I personally want to either delete mine as described, or replace it with a retractable CB antennae. Otherwise the stock seems to be pretty much one piece, looks like you would need a whole (#8) maybe get away with just (#9). Im not sure how broken it is.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...PEAKER+BRACKET

Last edited by Nave43; 08-13-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: i can't spell