Notices
For Sale General Classifieds For Sale

Reflections on being scammed - Everyone should read this.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reflections on being scammed - Everyone should read this.

I wanted to write this to try to educate people on the dangers of internet purchases. Please don’t flame me and tell me how stupid I am/was. I have made risky transactions in the past with no problems. I knew this was too risky at the time, but it was a “good deal”. That’s one of the motives this guy uses. He presents you with such a good deal that you take unusual risks to try to take advantage of it.

I have kept ALL correspondence from this transaction, but I’ll give you the summary. Early this year, after corresponding via email with a guy who presented himself as Joe Nicholas, living in Salem Oregon [**first red flag], I wired a large (really large) sum of money to his account. The excuses started shortly thereafter and within a week I had determined that I was working with a scammer. I gave him a month before going to the police (too much time). Early February, “Joe” returned part of the money to me. Since then, he has stopped returning calls and emails.

I spoke with the Oregon Attorney General’s office today and have the scoop on what really happened. While spending time in jail, Joseph Nicholas met up with a guy named Aron Frost (should ring a LOT of bells if you’ve been following the scammers). Anyway, we’re not sure exactly how much involvement “Joe” had in this, but Aron pretty-much ran the scam. Joe’s story is that he setup the bank account for Aron to help him out. Joe is on probation and denying involvement and Aron is in jail. From what I understand, I’ve just joined the long line of people Aron has ripped off. My guess is that I will probably never see any money. If I do, it’ll likely be money he’s scammed off someone else…

Please be extremely wary of anyone in Oregon. Aron uses fake id’s, fake money orders and cashier’s checks, and now he’s started enlisting others into the scam. He was tracked down very easily… I don’t think he even cares about getting caught now, it’s just about getting the money.

Anyway, try to be safe and protect yourself. Control your greed. If a deal looks too good, then it probably is… I got a scan of his driver’s license, and sent the money to a bank account (easy to trace). I thought this was offering me some protection. In reality, it did make it easier to track the guy down, but it obviously offered me no protection against losing my money in the first place.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reflections on being scammed - Everyone should read this. (JeffS)

i know peeps in salem oregan.. but alot of the people that i don't know.. i wouldn't trust.. thanks for the input..
Old 03-13-2002, 08:52 AM
New User

Default Re: Reflections on being scammed - Everyone should read this. (b16_ef)

not everyone in oregons a crook That does suck though, any more info you could give me.....maybe theres something I could do.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Reflections on being scammed - Everyone should read this. (Floyd91)

your in oregan... hey.. i could pick that **** up from you.. hehe.. i'm in washington...
Old 03-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reflections on being scammed - Everyone should read this. (Floyd91)

Of course not, but given the long list of people Aron Frost (aka Patrick Ginn, aka Brian Bailey) has ripped off, I'd be more than a little suspicious of that area.

Unfortunately, there's nothing much to do right now. The Oregon AG is on the case, Joseph Nicholas's probation officer has been informed, the Oregon AG is working with the FBI, and I believe Aron Frost is currently in jail. I think they're trying to sort out just how much involvement Nicholas had so they know who to charge, and with what...

Like I said, tracking them down was the easy part. Getting any money back will be a miracle.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:20 AM

You might be suprised about getting your money back. I was watching the news last night and they ran a story of a guy who scammed a lot of people out of about $250,000. He is in construction and ripped these people off after hurricane Floyd. Instead of jail time he is being made to reimburse these people. He basically has 4 years to work to pay these people back. I guess a lot of it just depends on how creative the prosecuting attorney is willing to be. I found it interesting and thought some of you might as well.

Thieves Suck
Old 03-13-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man...Aron Frost AGAIN! That dude is so notorious now!
Old 03-13-2002, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reflections on being scammed - Everyone should read this. (B2FiNiTY)

His wrap sheet was posted here not too long ago!!!