Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Wilwood DPHA Pad options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilwood DPHA Pad options?

I have searched and read the few Threads on these calipers. But there isnt many options posted for pads.
We have been running them for 3 years now with great luck. I had to rebuild 1 end of last year. But outside that solid brake setup for keeping Stock rotor size. My only issue is the pads. There .490 Thick and doesnt seem like many options.
Right now we run the Hawk DTC-70 pads. Tried the 80s but they pitted/crumbled like crazy and Hawk said it was due to a lack of temp. So back to the 70s. They work great, but they due to the thinkness they do not seem to last very long.
I might go crazy this winter and get a machine shop to build a spacer for them so we can run the .690 thick pads. Just use the lower bleeder holes to run a brake line for outside piston feed.
But has anyone found a Enduro pad for these calipers yet?
I am sure Carbotech could do something for me, I can even send them my old backing plates. But thats going to jump the price way up.
Right now I can get Hawk pads for about $150CAN in the DTC-70 compound. But since they only last about half a year it might be worth going to a more expensive enduro compound.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wilwood DPHA Pad options?

I don't have any suggestions for the compound to use, but for prices, maybe check out Raceshopper with their 'hard to find' webpage that includes the Wilwoods being http://www.raceshopper.com/hard_to_find.shtml. I used to buy from Raceshopper when I was using some Ferodo pads for some Brembo brakes on a 2001 Audi S4 when I initially started running HPDE's. - Jim
Old 08-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get your brake pads to last half a year you're doing pretty well. I prefer the pedal feel of the Raybestos ST43 but they'll only last slightly longer than the DTCs and they are significantly more expensive.

On a side note, didn't you start a thread here with this exact title about a year ago?

Edit: That said, I second Calif_Kid's recommendation of raceshopper.com / bestbrakes. com (same company). They are my go to brake supplier because of their intimate technical knowledge of brake applications for race cars. Try giving them a call and seeing what they say.

Last edited by boxedfox; 08-09-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ST43s are pretty cheap for the DPHA:
https://porterfield-brakes.com/manuf...Type+7812.html
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnfitz46
ST43s are pretty cheap for the DPHA:
https://porterfield-brakes.com/manuf...Type+7812.html
What the? $99? Jeez. Maybe I should get DPHAs. I pay over twice that to get a set of fronts for my stock Prelude calipers.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that there is a larger selection of pads for the 7816 shape (16 mm thick instead of 12 mm) and you can have a machine shop grind them down to 12 mm prior to installation.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boxedfox
If you can get your brake pads to last half a year you're doing pretty well. I prefer the pedal feel of the Raybestos ST43 but they'll only last slightly longer than the DTCs and they are significantly more expensive.

On a side note, didn't you start a thread here with this exact title about a year ago?

Edit: That said, I second Calif_Kid's recommendation of raceshopper.com / bestbrakes. com (same company). They are my go to brake supplier because of their intimate technical knowledge of brake applications for race cars. Try giving them a call and seeing what they say.
I thought i did but when i searched i only saw the big thread on the caliper istelf.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KoRn_vIRuZ
I find that there is a larger selection of pads for the 7816 shape (16 mm thick instead of 12 mm) and you can have a machine shop grind them down to 12 mm prior to installation.
I did that before and the shop that did it said never again. lol. Chewed up 2 bits turning them down. But thats why i was thinking about getting the caliper spacers made. would need 2-2.5 MM spacer for the caliper halfs and either 2-2.5 MM taking off the caliper ears or the spindle ears. or 1ish MM off each.
Many more options pad wise and the cost is pretty much the same as what i pay now for the DTC-70. I love the hawks, and dont really want to change. We have a company we get them from here at the dealer for cheap.i just looked and it was $116 for a set Canadian. Just would like to get a bit more time out of the. We only do 6 race weekends a year, and right now i only run a 3-5 lap qualifier. 12 lap heat, 15 lap main and 1 Hour race. and then the 6th race weekend is just a 3Hour enduro.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joel n
Just would like to get a bit more time out of the. We only do 6 race weekends a year, and right now i only run a 3-5 lap qualifier. 12 lap heat, 15 lap main and 1 Hour race. and then the 6th race weekend is just a 3Hour enduro.
If you can do 3 race weekends on a set of pads with that kind of schedule, you're doing well on pad life. It will be harder to find something that lasts significantly longer without sacrificing bite characteristics or pedal modulation. Those endure pads just don't have the same feel that you get from standard sprint racing pads like the DTCs.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boxedfox
If you can do 3 race weekends on a set of pads with that kind of schedule, you're doing well on pad life. It will be harder to find something that lasts significantly longer without sacrificing bite characteristics or pedal modulation. Those endure pads just don't have the same feel that you get from standard sprint racing pads like the DTCs.
Thanks, Ill just with the DTC-70 then. If i can get the spindle and caliper to a shop this winter and look into making a spacer for the caliper to run the thinker pads i might, but i need to check my rim clearance before i go down that road lol.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got 30 hours out of DTC-60's with our DPHA's. This was at Thunderhill 5mi and Buttonwillow 13CW in a 2200lbs 4dr civic w b18c1. I've loved them so far and they didnt even eat up the rotors. We will be replacing both the pads and the rotors before the next race and keep these rotors as backups as there is still plenty of life left in them.