Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

whats a good series?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a good series?

ok i live in southern cali and i have a 1990 crx with a b16 and i was wondering what would be a good series/class to compete in? i know this questino might siound really dumb but i really would like to start out racing now so that i can work my way up. plz let me know what series there are out there for imports and such. thanx alot.
-Kyle
Old 11-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First of all, if you street race (as your user name would seem to indicate), you aren't going to get any help around here.

That being said, you have several options. Road racing isn't going to be one of them. You should look into autocross and HPDE to get your feet wet as far as real performance driving is concerned. You can run whatever in autocross and HPDE, but if you get serious about it, you'll probably want to start over with either 1) a new/used car, or 2) a used competition vehicle.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sean O'Gorman)

ok i use to street race like a year ago when i fierst started driving and was stupid. but i dont anymore. i just dont want to change the name. umm also do u guys have any links or specifics about the divisions. sry to ask soo many questinos. im only 17
Old 11-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxstreetracer90)

ok i saw the honda challenge thing. it has alot of groups any feedback on that?
Old 11-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read the forum FAQ: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=353425

It has links to answer virtually every question you could have. If there's still something you need to know, then come back and ask.

Just remember, at the level of motorsport you are looking at, it is all about the driver. Aside from tires, brakes, and safety, the level of prep on the car is going to be irrelevant for a beginner. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an FYI but to run in Honda Challenge with that car you will be in H1. To have a car capable of competing with other CRX's with a b16 like the gold versus car your looking at upwards of 17K in building costs evenwith some limited assitance.

Now that car I rember hearing has been driven by that driver for 12-13 years so your then going to have to deal with the level of skill and experience factor in a huge way.

unfourtunately the Honda Challenge season is over but if you have time try attending the 25 hours of thunderhill as many of those cars I believe will be in attendance, if you need a ride PM me as I will be going myself

http://www.nasaproracing.com/n....html

Other than that attend as many track days as possible.

PS you should change your title, everyone here most likely has broken trafic laws at least once in there life but will tend to deny it to there dying breath so they can give others a hard time.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxstreetracer90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxstreetracer90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i saw the honda challenge thing. it has alot of groups any feedback on that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you have a TON of cash to blow, it is out of your reach right now. Licensing, trailer, truck, race car, $1000+/weekend expenses, etc. are not something you should be considering.

Get an education, save up some money, get some track time autocrossing and HPDEing, then you'll be able to consider something like HC.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sean O’Gorman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless you have a TON of cash to blow, it is out of your reach right now. Licensing, trailer, truck, race car, $1000+/weekend expenses, etc. are not something you should be considering.

Get an education, save up some money, get some track time autocrossing and HPDEing, then you'll be able to consider something like HC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

or convince Kiwi he needs a 5th car
Old 11-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sans)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unfourtunately the Honda Challenge season is over.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

There is one race left in the SoCal region next weekend at Buttonwillow, near Bakersfield... More info at https://www.nasaproracing.com/...d=183

You should go. Hang out in the pits. Talk to people about their cars and how they got started. Do more listening listening than talking. It's a hell of a lot of fun. And even if there are obstacles that might keep you from driving in events right away, you might be able to crew for someone next season and learn a lot about it all that way. If you're helpful, polite, and enthusiastic you might even get someone to buy you lunch for your services.

First, though, see if you can master the spell check function.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Re: (thawley)

on me

I saw the listing online and for some reason thought it was this weekend. I'll be going for shizzle next weekend.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:20 AM

Default Re: whats a good series? (crxstreetracer90)

At this point you need as much seat time as you can get without going all out from the start. This is a hobby that can rapidly drain your bank account-so be absolutely certain about doing any "series" before making the commitment.
I will also strongly recommend that you find a NASA region or other sanctioning body that has HPDE events. This will give you a basis for the car you have with an instructor that can teach you proper technique. These events do not require the major investment in equipment and car prep as you are expected to come with a street car and a helmet, long sleeved shirt and pants. You will need tires (high performance street are fine) and a few other necessities like spare brake pads. Entry fees and memberships are very reasonable for what you get.
Now to racing series-NASA is your best choice for the car you describe. You would be classed in H-1 with the swap you have. There is a lot of work to do to make the car "race ready." You can go to http://www.nasaproracing.com and look at the CCR-rulebook for more info on what you will need to do. If you elect to run SCCA and its various activities you will need to buy a rulebook for the type of series that you are interested in. The SCCA website will guide you.

THis is a beginning for you and we wish you the best.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: whats a good series? (jc836)

Pretty much what others said. Go do some HPDEs to receive instruction and just as important, seat time. You need miles and miles of seat time. You also get an idea of paying for "expendables" tires, brake pads, rotors, and other things you will break. If you can afford DEs, get some seat time, and still want to race, then start looking for a used race car in a series that is support in your area. Good luck. Yeah I would change your sig. if you plan on coming here often. The crap you will catch for that name is not worth the 600 posts you have related to it.

Barry H.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats a good series? (apexinghonda)

why would i have to purchase a different car? why can't i just turn my car into a race car: rollcage, gut it.... and so forth? what are teh differences if any?
-kyle
Old 11-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxstreetracer90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would i have to purchase a different car? why can't i just turn my car into a race car: rollcage, gut it.... and so forth? what are teh differences if any?
-kyle</TD></TR></TABLE>

Building a race car is a very, very bad idea for a beginner. Lots of people want to do it, they want to be able to race THEIR pride and joy, and be able to customize it and have 100% input in every decision that went into the construction of the car, but its just not worth it. You can buy a competitive, sorted out, race ready vehicle for a fraction of what you'd spend building a car that would likely cost well above your budget, have bugs to be sorted out, and probably not very competitive if its your first race car. You need to concentrate on the driving aspect and not the equipment aspect in order to understand this.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:19 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxstreetracer90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would i have to purchase a different car? why can't i just turn my car into a race car: rollcage, gut it.... and so forth? what are teh differences if any?
-kyle</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because you DON'T go out, build a car and then try to find some place to race it. You decide WHO you want to race with, then you decide WHAT CLASS you want to race in and THEN you build a car for that class's particular rules.

If you don't do it in that order you will have 1 of 2 things happen:

1. You will not find a class that you fit in because your car was not built to any particular set of rules
2. The class you will end up in will require a substantial amount of money/work to get the car competitive in

Doing it the way you want to do it is *** backwards.

As far as racing - good luck. The process to get there is not simple, quick or cheap. Most people will recommend AT LEAST a year of HPDE events BEFORE you think about going to get a competition license. You will need a fully race-prepared vehicle BEFORE you can go to get your license so it will all add up very quickly.

Find a local autocross group and start running with them. Initially it won't matter what class you are in since you won't be competitive. If you like it get a rule book and build your car to the rules for the class you want to run.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:21 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PS you should change your title, everyone here most likely has broken trafic laws at least once in there life but will tend to deny it to there dying breath so they can give others a hard time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah because going 10MPH over on a highway or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign is just like street racing. They are almost identical as a matter of fact . . .

Old 11-07-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: (Evil Drew M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil Drew M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah because going 10MPH over on a highway or not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign is just like street racing. They are almost identical as a matter of fact . . .

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have a really hard time believing that the only traffic law you ever broke was a rolling stop. As far as going over 100 on the highway goes I was cruising about 90 the whole way to vegas which is about 250 miles and I got passed by easily 75% of all other cars, they were all evildoers
Old 11-07-2004, 08:39 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sans &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would have a really hard time believing that the only traffic law you ever broke was a rolling stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good for you.

If you are implying that I have street raced in the past you are most sorely mistaken.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as going over 100 on the highway goes I was cruising about 90 the whole way to vegas which is about 250 miles and I got passed by easily 75% of all other cars, they were all evildoers </TD></TR></TABLE>

"But I was being responsible because other people were going faster."
Old 11-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-kyle</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its really a money thing. You can come over to my house to see how NOT to do it. I already had the engine swap, brakes and suspension done on the car. In the last two months I have probably put $4000 more into it to get it "race ready". And I am a really cheap bastard who looks for deals and ways to cut costs all the time.

My buddy bought a used H4 CRX for $4500. And he's already driving his. I'm headed out to the garage right now for another day of "little ****" to get it ready for next weekend.

You absolutely should start running your car in HPDE and track events and begin learning all that you can. But with as many good used race cars as there are (and will be) for sale these days, its really the better path to save your pennies and BUY a car.

No body's trying to talk you out of road racing; it is one of the coolest and most fun ways to burn money ever. Just be realistic about your resourses (you're 17, right?) and look at it as a long term goal.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats a good series? (thawley)

thawley how is ur friend doing in his racing so far? also thank you everyone for all the helpful advice. and im going to try and get to willow springs as soon as possible for seat time. how much do they race cars usually cost? i mean i dont see how much more money my car can cost to make it race prepped but i dont know so ya. i will look harder to find out what all there is and tahnk you for the idea to go to the track and talk to the ppl. button willow is this coming up weekend right? just checking and also i changed my name to BseriesCRX. so ya. thank you again
-Kyle
Old 11-09-2004, 12:03 PM

You should also look into autocrossing (covered in the FAQ). Cheaper, less risk of damage to your car, and you get timed runs so you can see exactly how you improve. Experience from autocrossing will help your track driving in the beginning.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Re: whats a good series? (RineRacing)

Autocross -&gt; track days/HPDEs -&gt; Road Racing...

You could do either autocross and track days with your car the way it is. However I would at the very least upgrade the brake pads and fluid if you're going to do track day events. I'd also highly recommend buying either an Autopower or a Kirk 4 point bolt in rollbar.

If you're seriously considering doing some road racing, do autocross and track day events first.

adding 2 more cents.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:34 PM
r2x

Default Re: whats a good series?

Practically... until you can stomach spending $800-$1000 a weekend on road racing (and this DOESN'T include the cost building/buying the car), don't start. Stick with autocross and HPDE. My cheapest road race weekends are about $600. It's this cheap only when I sleep at home and eat breakfast/dinner at home.

It's expensive. Never delude yourself on that very important point.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a lil list of things i doubt you have done that you will need to get done.

Custom Welded roll cage- 1500
Tires-550 ( to run HC you need toyo RA1)
brake pads- 150 (???)
fire system- 300 (i think )

then we get into your motor. the B16 will need alot of work to be competitive in H1. the lowest HP guys are putting out about 180whp, from a internally stock b18c-r motor. so tag on another 5000 to either get you a b18c-r or build your b16a

also all of your safty gear, driver suit, gloves, helmet, not sure about shoes, and also might want to consider a H&N restrant device
Old 11-10-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats a good series? (slammed_93_hatch)

well my neighbor races so i can get the roll cage for $500 installed i already got the estimate. also he has a couple 5 point harnesses that he says he can spare. tires ya i know i need tires. and deffinatly brake pads cuz mine suck also i plan on getting slotted and drilled rotors. does anyone know any good brake pads that dont have alot of dust? money isnt really a problem because i know some people through my neighbor. thank you for al your guys help. and ya im going to try autoX first. oh almost forgot. i want to get new springs i have arospeed coilovers but i want new sprigns for the track what brands are good. i live right by the eibach place in so cal. i have tokico blues if taht makes a difference.
-Kyle

Modified by crxstreetracer90 at 11:11 AM 11/10/2004

Quick Reply: whats a good series?