Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Trailer mods for track weekends

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Trailer mods for track weekends

Originally Posted by ross2004
One of my Armageddon projects is to insulate my enclosed trailer. I have a portable home AC unit in it that works pretty well as is, but it could be better for when it's August at VIR and 4 dudes are sleeping in it
Some of that R15 foam used for basement walls would work good for the enclosed. What color is your enclosed? If its not white, try giving it a good coat of white on the roof.

Originally Posted by iwannarace
that looks sketch af. is there support under the cantilevered part? I assume so but couldn't see from the pics. What keeps you from rolling over and falling off in the middle of the night?
Haha yeah people asked those questions with it on the roof rack of the 4runner as well. So with these roof top tents, the ladder is aluminum and it locks together supporting the other half of the clam shell. The base is made from an aluminum honeycomb. I have had about 800 lbs static with people and gear (on the 4runner) which I believe on my model 4 person CVT max capacity is ~850 ish static.

I have done some calculations on the 1.5 inch tubing and load points, the 14 gauge 1.5 square tube deflects about .2 of an inch fully loaded with boxed ends. It is much more solid than the factory 4runner rack that is for sure! I have found that a set of the jack stands on the front corners of the trailer is a must (for what that is worth). Without the those contact points, there is some weight transfer crawling around in the tent. With the jack stands in place, you could b-boy to some Run DMC in the tent without a problem. Its solid.

As far as falling out, the inside of the tent has an aluminum frame and canvas. They are designed to be mounted on roof racks so there isn't really any concern about falling out, they aren't built like conventional tents.

Last edited by Dublocivic; 04-11-2020 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Trailer mods for track weekends

Dublo, sorry for not getting on here sooner to say great work! I've been off HT for a little. This post makes me happy thinking of that time when the track goes cold and you need a place to hang

I'm looking into making the Tahoe a little more legit this year as well for camping and hanging out in, since I unload it and sleep in the tahoe for my track weekends.

For starters I picked up a $25 Sears X-Cargo from the early 90s. Period correct and it'll allow me to store all of the emergency gear I don't get to use unless really bad things happen and leave me stranded while also NOT taking up precious cargo space!

Old 05-08-2020, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Icon7 Re: Trailer mods for track weekends

Originally Posted by Dilbones
Dublo, sorry for not getting on here sooner to say great work! I've been off HT for a little. This post makes me happy thinking of that time when the track goes cold and you need a place to hang

I'm looking into making the Tahoe a little more legit this year as well for camping and hanging out in, since I unload it and sleep in the tahoe for my track weekends.

For starters I picked up a $25 Sears X-Cargo from the early 90s. Period correct and it'll allow me to store all of the emergency gear I don't get to use unless really bad things happen and leave me stranded while also NOT taking up precious cargo space!

Thanks D, I appreciate the kind words =-)

Yeah I got tired of dealing with putting the tent on the 4runner (its a PITA to attach to the roof rack) and I dont like hauling the fuel cans in the tow vehicle or in the civic because inevitably everything smells like fuel. It definitely fills those check boxes. I have a few more add-ons that I am doing to finish it up. Ill post some new pictures soon.
I am looking forward to kicking back in the hammock and having a beer after the sessions are done for the day ..