Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Tow vehicle dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow vehicle dilemma

Hey guys,

I'm making the giant step to have my CSP CRX be a trailer queen. I'll be towing the car to 3-4 National Tours, all local Atlanta region events and some Chattanooga region events. My two top choices for a used tow vehicle are:

1. 2001-2002 Cheverolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 2WD with 5.3L V8, Auto, with the trailering package.

2. 2001-2002 Ford F150 XLT Supercab 2WD with 5.4L V8, Auto, with 7700lb Payload group, Class III Trailer Towing Group.

Does anyone have either of these configurations? I looking for the more realiable of the two and the one the tows the best?

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan Orndorff
ivano@minspring.com
ATL Region SCCA
CSP #63
Old 12-06-2002, 06:43 AM
New User

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma

Either of the two are fine. The only advantages each have: [Ford (F), Chevy (C)], C has 25 more HP, C has better axle ratio (3.42 vs 3.08) = better for towing, F has 800 lbs more on towing, C has more/better warning lights (i.e. tranny temp light, while F does not), believe the C is a bit more expensive. Either will be fine!
Old 12-06-2002, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (igocsp63)

What??!! No diesel??!!

Seriously though, if you plan on getting an enclosed trailer it will be much easier and your wallet will thank you. My buddy used to haul his stock car around with his 1996 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4, extended cab, long bed (big truck!) and a 6.5L diesel. With a 6000lb truck, 4 guys, 600lbs of tools, a 2300lb race car, 1000lb trailer and 300lbs of tires...he set the cruise control for 70MPH and she never came out of overdrive! Even on the big hills! Here's the kicker: 17MPG the whole damn way!! There's no gas engine on earth that can claim that!!!
Old 12-06-2002, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (archmanrsx3)

What??!! No diesel??!!
lol
Old 12-06-2002, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (2eggs)

One word:

PowerStroke
Old 12-06-2002, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (ajn)

I would HIGHLY suggest the chevy! I have some friends that have them and they are AWESOME!! Chevy doesnt breakdown and do the calling crap, They get it right! A guy @ my work has the Chevy and it tows 8000lbs with NO PROBLEMS @ALL! Its a beast! And chevy stands behind their product where as ford kinda runs.

If you have some more $$, i would get the 2500HD! Its INSAIN!

~Jonathan
ITA CRX
Old 12-08-2002, 12:26 PM

Anyone else have any thoughts on Ford/Chevy.

Ivan
Old 12-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Trial User

Toyota Tundra.

42K miles, towing 5000lbs all over the east coast, nothin' but oil changes and gas and she keeps on trukin'
<knocking on wood>

And Ivan needs not the Powerstroke. His car prolly weighs a whopping 1700lbs soaking wet.

Old 12-08-2002, 05:13 PM
New User

Either of the big three are fine, and I would also go along with Scott's suggestion on the Toyota Tundra. If you wait another year, Toyota "says" they are coming out with a 3/4 ton (i.e. 2500 series) truck with an optional diesel engine. I may end up with one of those. Best thing is to do your research. Go to the different forums and see what problems people are saying about them. EVERY (and I repeat) EVERY bigger truck out there has it's problems. Doesn't matter if it is the diesel either (Cummins, Duramax, Power Stroke) all have there own little problems. Diesels are great, but add on an extra $5K for the option. Problems with diesels are the tranny's... Do some research on your own...don't take a couple people's suggestions or view points!!!
Old 12-08-2002, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (Catch 22)

Ivan needs not the Powerstroke. His car prolly weighs a whopping 1700lbs soaking wet.
True...he doesn't need a fifth wheel.

aj
Old 12-09-2002, 08:10 AM
Furry

id go with the silverado. its the most comfortable truck i have ever driven and the 5.3 is a nice engine. ours ran a 10.6 in the 1/8th mile

i towed my accord.. 3200lbs worth of accord... several times with zero problems. i think the longest trip was about 120 miles from rockingham to raleigh.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (J28S)

Either of the big three are fine, and I would also go along with Scott's suggestion on the Toyota Tundra. If you wait another year, Toyota "says" they are coming out with a 3/4 ton (i.e. 2500 series) truck with an optional diesel engine. I may end up with one of those. Best thing is to do your research. Go to the different forums and see what problems people are saying about them. EVERY (and I repeat) EVERY bigger truck out there has it's problems. Doesn't matter if it is the diesel either (Cummins, Duramax, Power Stroke) all have there own little problems. Diesels are great, but add on an extra $5K for the option. Problems with diesels are the tranny's... Do some research on your own...don't take a couple people's suggestions or view points!!!
These are some pretty good suggestions. Although I can't knock the reliability of the Tundra, a Jap diesel makes me nervous. They don't have a whole lot of experience with them. True, diesels are expensive to buy (and they also have expensive parts) but the reliability and efficiency (otherwise known as better gas-mileage AND more power) more than make up for it. I'm pretty sure all the American diesels have a 100k powertrain warranty standard (GM does for sure) and a diesel engine will easily run half-a-million miles before a major overhaul. (Of course the fuel-pump, when it goes, will cost you $2500). The tranny problems on the diesels are getting to be a thing of the past (GM now uses the Allison tranny design that has been used on the big rigs for years) and they have NEVER been as common as the problems with the 4L80E, 4L60E trannies on the gas trucks.

Do the research yourself on what truck (gas, diesel, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.) will work best for you. Chances are if 100 people all say the same thing it maybe true...but then again they could all be full of sh*t too! Personally, I've had good luck with vehicles that other people have considered crap and vice-versa.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:30 PM

Since u might drive it daily, The checvy gets better gas milage! BIG Issue since its 10% better or more.. I think
Old 12-15-2002, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Although I can't knock the reliability of the Tundra, a Jap diesel makes me nervous. They don't have a whole lot of experience with them.
Isn't the "DuraMax Diesel" really a Japanese Made Engine?

I thought it was made by isuzu?
Old 12-15-2002, 12:50 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (vtecjj)

The Duramax is made by a partnership of Izuzu & GM. GM owns a controlling interest in that company. While it is true that Allison has made commercial auto. trannys for years, the 1000 series is a new 'light' duty design. It has not been trouble free. There have been software & hardware problems with the unit. While doing research on what to buy, I found a website whose name escapes me now. There were quite a few people who were on their 2nd or 3rd tranny. It looks like those problems have been worked out. In addition, the rumor mill says that the Duramax has had some head problems. While there were numerous reports of tranny problems, I personally only know of one 'head' problem.

I choose the PSD because at the time, there was up to a year wait for the Duramax. There were also the problems mentioned above. The problems with the 4R100 (Ford) tranny were documented. Most of them came from insufficient cooling before the thru the radiator tranny cooler. I did drive the Duramax & was impressed with the power & quiteness of it. If I was shopping now, I might have made a different decision. Of course, Ford now (2003 6.0L)nhas the most powerful engine & a five speed auto. with 'grade logic' & an external filter like the Allison, so maybe not.

The Japanese have been making diesels for years. Don't be mislead just because we don't get them here. The rest of the world drives/buys more diesels than us.

edit for clarity.

[Modified by civicrr, 1:53 AM 12/15/2002]
Old 12-15-2002, 12:57 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (civicrr)

Here is the link for the Duramax page. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/2001.htm

You will need a membership to do any meaningful research. I actually had a membership but it expired.

Link to a Ford diesel site. http://www.thedieselstop.com/

edit to add link.

[Modified by civicrr, 1:59 AM 12/15/2002]
Old 12-15-2002, 06:36 AM
New User

As previously mentioned all "trucks" have there own type of problems. But when you get into the "diesel" market you really have to look further and do some additional research. For example, Ford owns 35% of Cummins stock. Why? Because Ford wants the Cummins engine (that is in the Dodge) in the Ford truck. So when the contract ends with Dodge (aka DC), Ford will have the Cummins in there truck. Ford went from the 7.3L (International built engine) to the 6L re-design...why? They were having problems with the 7.3L and the engine was running at 98% efficiency (meaning they could not get any additional power out of the engine to compete with Dodge and Chevy). Also, they found out that bigger displacement doesn't mean more power (i.e. Cummins 5.9L inline 6 cyl). The new Ford auto tranny is supposed to be a very good one. But then again you're GOING to do your own research, so you'll figure that out on your on. Then there the Duramax engine. Yes, Isuzu made engine. Then again, they have been making diesel engine for a long time, but not much more room for power growth. Chevy is in development for making there own new diesel engine...when is still a mystery. The Allison tranny, good but they released to early. That is before all of the bugs were worked out. But just like any tranny, some are good and some are bad. Then there's the Dodge engine (Cummins), when ever someone comes with more power, they just modify the fuel pump and fuel rails. Currently the engine is only running at 80% effeciency producing the power they have now. For example, with two mods to my truck, I'm pushing (at the wheels) 460ish HP, and 940ish lbs/torque. Run the 1/4 mile in the high 13's at 94 mph and that's because I'm at top speed (4.10 rear end) for the last fourth of the track. If I didn't get a Dodge, I would have a Ford. And still may end up with one down the road... Which ever truck is built the best the next time I'm in the market to buy one. Just find out the problems with the different trucks and make your decision from there. Happy research...
Old 12-15-2002, 07:08 AM
.RJ

For example, with two mods to my truck, I'm pushing (at the wheels) 460ish HP, and 940ish lbs/torque. Run the 1/4 mile in the high 13's at 94 mph and that's because I'm at top speed (4.10 rear end) for the last fourth of the track.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

... a Jap diesel makes me nervous. They don't have a whole lot of experience with them.
Oh yea? Hino, Mitsubishi Fuso, Nissan Diesel, Isuzu. etc. I am sure there are others.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:08 AM
Trial User

For example, Ford owns 35% of Cummins stock.
Not anymore.

They were having problems with the 7.3L and the engine was running at 98% efficiency (meaning they could not get any additional power out of the engine to compete with Dodge and Chevy).
Funny thing is that you could get the 444 engine without the 'Ford' parts on it in different power levels from International that make more power. For the Ford version (PSD) there is more power out there. It is just more work than Ford want to go thru. Gotta alter the fuel delivery system using aftermarket products.

The Allison tranny, good but they released to early. That is before all of the bugs were worked out.
Unfortunately, this seems to be a problem with American mfg.s Hopefully, Ford's new auto didn't copy this feature too.

Then there's the Dodge engine (Cummins), when ever someone comes with more power, they just modify the fuel pump and fuel rails. Currently the engine is only running at 80% effeciency producing the power they have now. For example, with two mods to my truck, I'm pushing (at the wheels) 460ish HP, and 940ish lbs/torque.
Darn Dodges! Too true, it is so easy to make more power with them compared to the PSD. I might have considered one if they had a true crew cab. Both the new Ford & Dodge diesels have pilot injection & common fuel rails. They make more power & run quieter too. Too bad CA doesn't get the HO engine.

[Modified by civicrr, 9:09 AM 12/15/2002]
Old 12-15-2002, 05:53 PM
New User

Default Re: Tow vehicle dilemma (civicrr)

Thanks for the clarification. Actually there is truck out there that has the best of all in one. It's the Ford F650. It has the Allison transmission, the Ford chassis and the Cummins B-series engine.

Still, the Chevy and the Ford still have more room than even the new Dodge Crew Cab (reason we won't get another Dodge). Plus the auto tranny on the Dodge isn't as good as the Allison and TorqShift auto. trannys...
Old 12-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

(Very) soon I will also be in the market looking for a diesel tow vehicle.

what is the latest news (good or bad) on the new Ford 6.0 liter turbo diesel and TorqueShift trans.
How is the reliability of the Ford compared to the Chevy Duramax Diesel and Allison trans.

Performance wise-would the new 6.0 liter PSD Ford (w/new Torqueshift trans) outperform the 6.0 Duramax/Allison combo?

By outperform I mean: Accelation, towing, and fuel mileage.

When is Chevy coming out with their new Diesel Engine and Tranny to combat the Ford? Anytime soon?

I considered the new Dogde as well but since I need a crew-cab, the dodge didn't have the passenger space I was looking for.

thx in advance to all those diesel experts

jmeris
Old 12-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Trial User

Jon,
Why don't you just buy Roger's truck & trailer? J/K, maybe.

The new Ford 6.0 L & 5R110W tranny are still pretty new. There haven't been a lot of people who have taken delivery of them yet. There has been a reported problem on the tranny. It has to do with a connector possibly being damaged during assembly.

The webpage I listed for the Fords has a forum just for the 6.0L & 5R110W tranny. Check it out.

I wouldn't expect to see a new GM diesel engine anytime soon. I think that the Duramax is just starting to hit its stride.

[Modified by civicrr, 8:53 PM 12/15/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 05:30 AM
New User

Comparing "Stock" truck to "Stock" truck. "Current" tests indicate the Ford with the TorqShift auto is the better tranny in acceleration, towing, and towing. The Duramax has the power when it comes to the engines. However, when you start modifying the trucks...everything (and I do mean everything) is thrown out the door. And yes, since the tranny and engine are new for the Ford...only time will tell. Now remember that Chevy and Dodge will release (in 2004) there new designs (engine and tranny), so as it is every year...one truck will be #1 one year, then #3 the next, the do some modifying then back to #1, then to #2...blah blah blah blah...blah
Old 12-16-2002, 12:10 PM

GMC trucks are Kick ***!

Quick Reply: Tow vehicle dilemma