Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>...

I watched the F1 race from Mosport on CBS. It was apparent to me that I just don't care about the people involved or the enterprise or it's location in the pecking order of popular taste. I don't even think I'm all that interested in their tech either - they're simply on another planet.

Another thing - I'm tired of "decimal places". As in "...blah, blah, blah - we had a Spec Miata on the alignment rack for 9 hours preparing for this weekends race...getting it just perfect...that class is so competitive...you just can't give ANYTHING away...blah, blah, blah...."

I watched Lee Stohr stringing his FF that Jaremko was running this weekend - using a short rule BY EYE. Lee is amusingly mercurial, and enjoy's telling people that he doesn't have any idea what the answer is to their pointlessly **** retentive out to the 9th decimal point question. Lee Rooolz.

You've been to a World Challenge race right? You get all caught up and next thing you know you're trying to figure out how you can race with Taz, and Pierre, and Randy. Well, at least you can afford a T-shirt.

And it's not that different at the Rose Cups or the June Sprints. You could build a CRX with an NSX motor in the back, enter it in SPM, and take a shot at Monte in his 962. Pointless? Hopeless? Joo Bet! So you get over it and look at where you are and what you're doing in a freshly sober light.

So you're down to having had enough...but still wanting to get some...and that's the sweet spot. You didn't overshoot, and you didn't undershoot.

Scott, who pledges to quit watching TV for the rest of the week and work on the Kaa...I'm ready to drive again!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>... (RR98ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I watched Lee Stohr stringing his FF that Jaremko was running this weekend - using a short rule BY EYE. Lee is amusingly mercurial, and enjoy's telling people that he doesn't have any idea what the answer is to their pointlessly **** retentive out to the 9th decimal point question. Lee Rooolz.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Stohr DSR/CSR has got to be one of the most beautifuly simple sports racer designs that I have ever seen. The first time I saw one in person without the bodywork, I was amazed at just how little there was to look at. Only put in there what you need and design it right! Very cool.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>... (RexRacer19)

The Jaremko / Hill / "Factory" DSR has had the same bone stock Yamaha in it for Two Years now.

There are guys buying replacement control arms in Titanium, and going thru several grendades...er, I mean expensively more powerful motors...every weekend. And to do what? Get spanked by Mark or John.

It makes me laff.

One little diversion though. The FF was running the new Ohlins TTX40 at the front and just about out of the box it was earning it's keep. If you can call it that at $3000 a corner. Very neat little unit. Thru-shaft. 4-way. Thank goodness I've struck a happy balance between my mental and financial resources.

Scott, who enjoyed see the 962 towed home on an open trailer...I'm also tired of Humungous Transporters.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:27 AM

I showed up for a Friday test day at Topeka (mind you, the heartland of America, where people is sposeda be po' farmers) at 7:15 am and was the only guy there whose car was getting wet in the rediculous thunderstorm, out of about 25 rigs that were there by the time the gates opened. Almost everyone either had a toterhome, a motorhome, or big gooseneck with living space.

Then Kansas ate my canopy. Now I want a humongous transporter too.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>... (RexRacer19)

just FYI scott...........iirc, 2nd through 14th qualifying spots in our spec miata race two weekends ago was covered by less than 1 second.

the whole "9 decimal places," thing is frustrating. i'm used to people using the slop in the bolt holes for the water pump and cam gears to alter their cam timing something in the order of 1/4 of a degree. where people aim to run across the scales 3-5lbs above minimum weight. where people pull the car with a fish scale to measure rolling resistance, and replace things like wheel hubs when that number gets too high.

and like world challenge, when you see that your times are only a couple seconds off of being up front with the likes of kraft, igou, james, and johnson, you think if you would just buy that $7000 sunbelt, and get out of T14 better at MAM or topeka, you'd be there. so you work on your line, get some new equipment, and show up faster the next time. the only problem is, the other guys somehow found a way to get faster also, and you're at the same spot you were before.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You didn't overshoot, and you didn't undershoot.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm convinced that this is the key to having an enjoyable racing career at the amatuer level.

travis - who should've finished 14th or 15th (if i wasn't caught out by a 3 car incident) in a 31 car field, and is VERY happy to be able to see the top 10 finally.

hey rich - need any suspension pieces?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>... (tnord)

Travis, it was 7th-15th on Sunday covered by 1 second in Qualifying, I was in 8th. Ahead of 7th, things got a little uglier (like, half a second+ gaps). Not sure what Saturday looked like but I can have a look at my timesheet. The spread was definitely bigger Saturday though.

Looks like it was just a loose eccentric that got knocked loose on the curbing going inside of Chris on that first lap. Stupid first laps...
Old 06-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I watched the F1 race from Mosport on ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Odd ... Scott, the rest of us were watching the canadian GP from Montreal on the Ile du Notre Dame.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>... (zygspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Odd ... Scott, the rest of us were watching the canadian GP from Montreal on the Ile du Notre Dame. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what I meant...what? I gotta get every little thing right???? Down to the 9th decimal point???????

Scott, who is still mad about the Germans attacking Pearl Harbor too...
Old 06-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Trial User

Wait a minute here...

Isn't this what I've been saying for a few years? Are you finally coming around to the "build a good car and just ******* drive it" mentality? No way... Who am I going to make fun of now?
Next thing you know you'll be agreeing with me on "*** dynos" and the importance of the driver being comfortable with set-up regardless of what the engineer is spitting out about the D.A.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm ready to drive again!</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, who stole Rinde?
C'mon now. Who is this posting under his user name. You overdid it and we know it can't possibly be him.
He's busy turning up some titanium composite hybrid tie rod end on his CAD controlled AGSM 9000 lathe and has no idea this is going on.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>... (Catch 22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He's busy turning up some titanium composite hybrid tie rod end on his CAD controlled AGSM 9000 lathe and has no idea this is going on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh! No! ... Not the AGSM again!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:02 AM
SJR

Scott, who is still mad about the Germans attacking Pearl Harbor too...</TD></TR></TABLE>

just blame it on the french
Old 06-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>... (SJR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SJR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just blame it on the french</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats understood.
No reason to even say it.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SJR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL... I'm German, but didn't bomb anything... well, except for the occasional ***-plosion. I guess you could blame that on the Irish part.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... So you're down to having had enough...but still wanting to get some...and that's the sweet spot. You didn't overshoot, and you didn't undershoot...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep! I'm just happy to finally see some return on my racing (cough) investment. Counting it all up, probably 15-20k, and now I'm getting some free track time.

(hand all contorted) yo, y0!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't this what I've been saying for a few years? Are you finally coming around to the "build a good car and just ******* drive it" mentality?</TD></TR></TABLE>
sure, but he has to stretch that out into about 4 paragraphs and surround it with a bunch of gibberish to make it sound like it was his idea
Old 06-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Things I think I've had enough of:...<Oh Gawd!>... (elgorey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elgorey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sure, but he has to stretch that out into about 4 paragraphs and surround it with a bunch of gibberish to make it sound like it was his idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

HA!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wait a minute here...

Isn't this what I've been saying for a few years? Are you finally coming around to the "build a good car and just ******* drive it" mentality? </TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;Monty Python - John Cleese - "...I could be arguing in my spare time"&gt;: "Not Necessarily".

Scott, who wouldn't deny agreement with Giles just for the sake of dissagreeing..."Let's everybody calm down...I'm sure Scott and I can work this out and reach a disagreement"
Old 06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RR98ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I watched the F1 race from Mosport on CBS. It was apparent to me that I just don't care about the people involved or the enterprise or it's location in the pecking order of popular taste. I don't even think I'm all that interested in their tech either - they're simply on another planet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What? How can you not be interested in how to make launch buttons feel like nipples?!??!

How hardened are you?

Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and invade canada covered by the statue of liberty as the trojan horse