Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Starting to rallycross... Which car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to rallycross... Which car?

Hey all,

I've been driving Mitsubishis (mainly my 3000GT) for quite a few years now, autocrossing, road racing, and I just started getting into rallycross. Well now I'm looking at getting a car to setup for SCCA rallycross that may also see double duty for autocrossing. I'm trying to prepare it for either stock or prepared fwd (need to learn to drive in the dirt before I go high hp, awd), but I'm not sure what car to go with. I was spoiled by driving an 08 4dr SI at a few events, but my rallycross budget isn't the highest. I'd like to stay under $4k for the car budget (not including safety mods, maintenance, etc...) I've really been leaning towards a 90-91 CRX SI, but I'm also looking at a 91 Civic SI HB. It looks like they're similar weight (about +100lbs for the civic), but what about everything else? I'll do all of the maintenance/mods myself and don't mind doing some research, but it turns out there aren't many people that rallycross these cars.

So any ideas/adive/experience?
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Starting to rallycross... Which car?

When in rome?
Old 08-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not a 4wd eclipse?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple of reasons for not wanting the mitsu. One, I'm pretty much sick of fixing dsms. I bought a galant vr4 for this purpose and I didn't even get to rally it. Just using to get to work and back and I was fixing it every other week. I owned it 3 months and replaced an axle, control arm (ball joint) oil pickup in the oil pan, fixed a few oil leaks, replaced xfer case seal, replaced ecu (leakin caps), and the car started smoking pretty badly and needed a new turbo. the tranny started grinding in 2ng gear, and then the car would start grinding on tight turns and not want to turn at parking lot speeds. The car broke down on the highway, and someone actually offered to buy it while it was on the side of the road!

The other reason is that I want something lighter. I want a lower powered car to focus on my driving skill, rather than a turbo pulling me through a turn. I started autocrossing with an overpowered car and I think I rely on having 500hp to correct a lot of my mistakes.

Plus, I've been working for Honda for over 3 years now, and would just rather run a Honda. I get a good deal on parts and have a little more "honda pride" now.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are actually some honda rally cars for sale out there. buy one of those.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:01 PM
New User

Rx7 powered rx8 with a single turbo set up is what I use
Old 08-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cone_Killer
A couple of reasons for not wanting the mitsu. One, I'm pretty much sick of fixing dsms. I bought a galant vr4 for this purpose and I didn't even get to rally it. Just using to get to work and back and I was fixing it every other week. I owned it 3 months and replaced an axle, control arm (ball joint) oil pickup in the oil pan, fixed a few oil leaks, replaced xfer case seal, replaced ecu (leakin caps), and the car started smoking pretty badly and needed a new turbo. the tranny started grinding in 2ng gear, and then the car would start grinding on tight turns and not want to turn at parking lot speeds. The car broke down on the highway, and someone actually offered to buy it while it was on the side of the road!

The other reason is that I want something lighter. I want a lower powered car to focus on my driving skill, rather than a turbo pulling me through a turn. I started autocrossing with an overpowered car and I think I rely on having 500hp to correct a lot of my mistakes.

Plus, I've been working for Honda for over 3 years now, and would just rather run a Honda. I get a good deal on parts and have a little more "honda pride" now.
Well I hate to see a good Honda destroyed with rally/crossing, but you make a good point about not wanting to die in a fire and wanting to use a lighter vehicle to develop your skills. I think any 3- or 4-gen civic si/crx si/wagovan you find cheap will be fine if you are willing to put some kind of reinforcement in the strut mounts and use proper shocks/springs for the muddy gravel dancing. I dont think any of them are 'ringers' for the sport, but you get extra Honda Pride props if you get a RT4wd Wago.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 AM
New User

Have you considered a N/A impreza? Like '99 to '01. They can be gotten for really cheap now. Then when you want to upgrade to a more powerful car, STI Swap.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM

4wd Civic. The 88-91's come with the same D16A6 MPFI motor as the Si's of same generation. Endless options too... after all it is a Honda.

www.hondacivicwagon.com

Handful of guys on there rallyX. There's a couple 4wd for sale on there now. Check craigslist too. Seattle/Portland tend to be gold mines for 4wd.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your budget is $4k, I know of a rally prepped golf for sale for that much. Its rally ready and with a logbook, so cant go wrong with it. It also just did the New England Rally and its in good condition.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
New User

the old Si hatchbacks look pretty good with some dirt on them:

Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neons are great RallyX car for pretty cheap. I just sold my '95 ACR that I RallyX'ed. On stock suspension it held up great. Beat out most of the Subaru's(which make up like 3/4 of the cars there) and I'm not experienced as some of the drivers when it comes to RallyX.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy my 88 sedan with an Si motor swap! has GC sleeves..

i was prepping it for rallycross, but ditched the idea. not enough money or time..
Old 06-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Trial User

Personally I use a Honda Crosstour and the results are astounding. As I have it, the car is a jack of all trades, but it truly shows its colors as a Rallycross competitor. Which is confidence inspiring as it's goal is to compete in Baja racing.