Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Side Impact Protection? roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Impact Protection? roll bar?

Would a bolt in roll bar increase how well my EK would perform if hit in the side? Maybe with the addition of the cross bars?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes
Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 PM

that's not really what they're intended for, no.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://64.233.161.104/search?q...&cd=1
Old 11-04-2006, 09:28 PM

I'm just saying, if an f350 comes barelling through an intersection at 60 miles per hour and t-bones you, you're probably not going to be very good afterwords, roll bar or no roll bar...
Old 11-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TedwardRoberts)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TedwardRoberts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm just saying, if an f350 comes barelling through an intersection at 60 miles per hour and t-bones you, you're probably not going to be very good afterwords, roll bar or no roll bar...</TD></TR></TABLE> lol. thats not what he asked.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 PM
god.loves.ugly

didn't you have a bolt in roll cage question earlier?

you should have one welded in...

Old 11-04-2006, 09:35 PM

Default Re: (EGlovr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> lol. thats not what he asked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a conjecture, but it sounds like the intention is not really for the track, and much more for the street, where roll cages and bars really don't have a place.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TedwardRoberts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a conjecture, but it sounds like the intention is not really for the track, and much more for the street, where roll cages and bars really don't have a place.</TD></TR></TABLE> ur preachin to the choir my man
Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Side Impact Protection? roll bar? (cbmprelude)

Roll cages dont belong on street cars. They can be more dangerous than helpful.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ur preachin to the choir my man</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen, then, brother!

Let us hope we can bring the truth to the masses so that they may be SAVED from the rice that is a dangerously used roll cage. Let us SAVE the masses from hard parking their mad tight VTAK-mobile with its rotas and bolt in cage.

LET ALL BE SAVED!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TedwardRoberts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Amen, then, brother!

Let us hope we can bring the truth to the masses so that they may be SAVED from the rice that is a dangerously used roll cage. Let us SAVE the masses from hard parking their mad tight VTAK-mobile with its rotas and bolt in cage.

LET ALL BE SAVED! </TD></TR></TABLE> lol.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:25 AM
* B A N N E D *

so it is believed then the added benefit of adding this cage/bar.. to a DD is out weighed by the added danger?
Old 11-05-2006, 06:37 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: (cbmprelude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbmprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so it is believed then the added benefit of adding this cage/bar.. to a DD is out weighed by the added danger?</TD></TR></TABLE>
A car's OEM safety equipment is designed to work as a whole package. When you start changing something, you almost have to change <u>every</u>thing.

If you add a rollbar, you really have to make sure it's padded very well.

If you add a rollbar, you have to consider what kind of seats you are using. Do you have FIA seats? If you do not, you might have to consider them or at least consider a set back brace in order to avoid submarining under the cross bar in a way that could be devastating in an accident.

But if you change the seat setup, it's possible that your OEM three point belts will no longer perform adequately, so you might have to consider full five point harnesses.

But if you do that, since you'll never come anywhere near the steering wheel, should you consider taking the air bags out? This might be the safer thing to do, since in an impact of moderate to severe rating, you might be able to actually continue to control the car and avoid further injury if the air bags do not deploy.

When you start changing OEM Honda safety equipment, you start down an expensive and slipperly slope of aftermarket improvements that must be carefully, well considered.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:39 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: (god.loves.ugly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by god.loves.ugly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">didn't you have a bolt in roll cage question earlier?

you should have one welded in...

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I almost hate to start this fight, but what sanctioning body approves of that side bar?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (George Knighton)

I was going to ask the same thing. I think the best thing for a side impact protection would be nascar bars, just because they're as far away from the legs and body as possible. I don't think you'd want those on your street car as it requires cutting into the door and probably limiting your window travel (or getting rid of it totally) and other things inside the door will need to be moved. I think that if you get hit by a truck, nothing's going to save you.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (garados)

or carbon fier tub, that's what F1 car uses huh?

the no pain solution would be getting a newer car, I saw a es350 getting side sweeped by a semi the other day, i can tell exactly where is the side impact/bar are located at. All the sheet metal is wrapped around the damn thing, and it's the only thing that kept the owner alive.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (George Knighton)

Couple simple things:

1. 4+ point harnesses == roll bar or cage in the car, mandatory. You flip or roll the car, and you're going to end up with a broken neck without one.
2. Roll cage in the car == helmets all the time (or ridiculous padding).
Old 11-05-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: (clayne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clayne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2. Roll cage in the car == helmets all the time (or ridiculous padding).</TD></TR></TABLE>
Would you say thats true for just a roll bar? I have a 4 point in my car but I havent installed the cross brace or the harness bar so it basically just runs along the B pillar and the ceiling. I mean conceivably my head could hit it if the seats were shoved back 4 inches or so, but it seems like without it my head would run into the side or the roof of the car anyway.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SLH356)

I used to have a 6pt roll cage in my Integra and it is absolutely more dangerous because of the proximity of the bars to your head and legs. If you have a 5pt harness and helmet, maybe, but otherwise, your dead.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Lan
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used to have a 6pt roll cage in my Integra and it is absolutely more dangerous because of the proximity of the bars to your head and legs. If you have a 5pt harness and helmet, maybe, but otherwise, your dead.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even with padding you think so?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLH356 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would you say thats true for just a roll bar? I have a 4 point in my car but I havent installed the cross brace or the harness bar so it basically just runs along the B pillar and the ceiling. I mean conceivably my head could hit it if the seats were shoved back 4 inches or so, but it seems like without it my head would run into the side or the roof of the car anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It really depends on the wreck; it's hard to predict where and how your body is going to move because there's an extremely large number of permutations when considering the vehicle that hit you, how it hit you, and where it hit you.

There's nothing certain.. all you can do is hope that that safety precaution doesn't end up causing you much more danger.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:01 PM
* B A N N E D *

very true ^ I guess if I find a bar that bolts a significant distance behind the front seats it may be a worthy investment. Alos is it ilegal to drive around with a 4 pt. belt?
Old 11-05-2006, 02:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TedwardRoberts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It really depends on the wreck; it's hard to predict where and how your body is going to move because there's an extremely large number of permutations when considering the vehicle that hit you, how it hit you, and where it hit you.

There's nothing certain.. all you can do is hope that that safety precaution doesn't end up causing you much more danger.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, im kind of conflicted. I could leave it in and throw in the harness bar and cross brace and run 5 points, but I'd still be daily driving it with no helmet. Or I could just sell the thing, I don't know.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLH356 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, im kind of conflicted. I could leave it in and throw in the harness bar and cross brace and run 5 points, but I'd still be daily driving it with no helmet. Or I could just sell the thing, I don't know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ultimately, it's up to you, but don't make the decision until you fully understand the dangers of having it on a daily driver.

like G.K. said, a vehicle is designed with safety features meant to work together, so very similarly, the safety features such as a roll cage are designed to work in tandem with FIA approved seats, a racing harness mounted to the roll cage in a manner that doesn't promote spinal compression, and a helmet, at the very least.

Quick Reply: Side Impact Protection? roll bar?