Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road racing?

I have a lot of pent up energy that would be better spent safely on a race track. I want to build a basic CB7 Accord up w/an H22A and a legit suspension for some amateur road racing. Anyone know how and where I can get started? I'm in the NYC area.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Road racing? (solbrothers)

join your regional NASA organization and let the voyage begin.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/
Old 07-11-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Road racing? (Whats Up DOHC)

First link in the FAQ:

Want to drive on a racetrack - read up here - https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=972109

Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That car in that configuration could run with NASA's Honda Challenge in either H1 at 2400 pounds or H2 at 2700 pounds. In H1 you'll be up against some very fast, well built cars with built B20's and K series motors. What is your budget? Do you already own this car? I would suggest that you come out and do a couple HPDE's before you decide that wheel to wheel is what you want to do. nasanortheast.com will lead you to several events in the Northeast at tracks like Pocono, Watkins Glen and Limerock. These events have both HPDE and racing. For HPDE only days you can also check out http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/ PDA is owned and run by the same great folks who run NASA NE.

Zephyr
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do some HPDEs before you start building the car. I (and others) will also encourage you to consider buying one instead of building.

For example: ":4 races 3 wins , a third, and the car missed the track record at pocono by 3 tenths. fast and ready for 07. call rick @ 718-456-1567 or email rick @ 65stars@allstarsheetmetal.com"

(This is a NASA H5 Civic / SCCA ITB car being sold for $6,500)

http://www.SCDA1.com is another HPDE club in the N.E.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (granracing)

And buy this mans book ^^^^

It will help you tremendously. Also, as others suggest get involved in HPDE in your car as it is now. Don't mod it at all.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also, as others suggest get involved in HPDE in your car as it is now. Don't mod it at all.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

seriously

SO many new drivers just think they can snap their fingers and go racing. they have no idea how much seat time it takes to be proficient and SAFE enough to actually door to door race.

start with HPDE, NOW. then mod your car as you drive and get better.

if you put a new driver in a fully built racecar they will struggle.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

Hitting the track with a stock car... that's gonna be rough.

Can I do stuff like stainless steel brake lines and better tires? Stuff to at least make the car safer?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Whats Up DOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Whats Up DOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hitting the track with a stock car... that's gonna be rough.

Can I do stuff like stainless steel brake lines and better tires? Stuff to at least make the car safer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you can do those mods and more if you like. And invest wisely and heavily into your safety gear. Start will a well fitting and SA2005 approved lightweight full-faced helmet. Lastly, invest in Dave Gran's book on getting started in road racing. It will save you lots of money and headaches if you follow his sage advice.

You can find his book here: http://www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com
Old 07-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Whats Up DOHC)

get the car safe to drive on track and sign up for pocono in 2 weeks. find out if you realy want to drive on track before you build a racecar. but if you wanna put an h22 in and run H2, that's be sweet. but start small first. do some HPDE's.

i call chris allen as his first instructor
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Lo-Buck EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lo-Buck EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i call chris allen as his first instructor </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you come out to the track, I'll defintely be your instructor....maybe I'll even persuade you not to build a h22 torque-monster & buy a LIGHT, already race-ready car!

- Chris
Old 07-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Johnny Mac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnny Mac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Start will a well fitting and SA2005 approved lightweight full-faced helmet. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Slightly off-topic, but still pertaining to the subject matter of the post....for some reason I have already heard that if you have airbags, you should get an open-faced helmet... is this true? What are the reasons behind open- vs full-faced helmets?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speedball3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedball3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Slightly off-topic, but still pertaining to the subject matter of the post....for some reason I have already heard that if you have airbags, you should get an open-faced helmet... is this true? What are the reasons behind open- vs full-faced helmets?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, that was based on misinformation. I would only run a full faced helmet in any car airbags or not. I've been hit in the chest by a chunk of rubber flying into the side window. It left a nice red mark. If that hit my face with an open helmet it would have hurt. You never know what's goingt to attack your face on the track, best protect it

Old 07-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Johnny Mac)

Great Advice from everyone here

and starting in a stock car is awesome there's nothing rough about it, your first lap out there's so much other stuff going on you're not going to remember what car you're driving.

and considering I myself have already started down the HPDE path to racing I would highly recommend it to anyone.

when you're ready for car prep though that guys at RPM NYC are a good group of people

Look in Honda Tuning Magazine towards the end of this year for a series of articles i'm writing on HPDE and how to get started in racing

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnny Mac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, you can do those mods and more if you like. And invest wisely and heavily into your safety gear. Start will a well fitting and SA2005 approved lightweight full-faced helmet. Lastly, invest in Dave Gran's book on getting started in road racing. It will save you lots of money and headaches if you follow his sage advice.

You can find his book here: http://www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com</TD></TR></TABLE>