Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (Catch 22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And really, its not a rant. Its ******* ridiculous out there.
All of the ITB and ITC drivers in post-race impound agreed to start a petition to get us moved to another race group. Its not any fun anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you can't beat them,

Yeah, that sucks about the SM mayhem. Try the BMWCCA, they take a lot less kindly to sheetmetal damage.

-Chris
Old 02-28-2005, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (Hracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Congrats to Bowie for winning the Pro IT! The rain dance didn't quite work, but little did it matter in the end. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man!

It wasn't so much the "Rain Dance", it was more the "I don't have rain tires Dance"!!! I love driving in the rain, and once I saw we were all on the dry tires, I was much happier about it.

Aside from the world's fastest 360 in 5 early in the race (painted concrete in the rain = spin city!) it was a really fun race. Chasing after Sage and waiting hoping for a mistake, then trying to hang on on the drying track was quite the nail-biter.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

congrats on the 2 victories this weekend. Sorry SM wrecker is making y'alls lives hell. Good luck getting them in different run group. Petitioning SEDIV or just ATL?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:43 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (o-man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o-man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Petitioning SEDIV or just ATL?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The SARRC administrator once we get enough support. Which shouldn't take long.

Congrats Bowie. Sorry I missed that, but I wanted to pack up and bug out before the rain started.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone know how lyonel kent did?? what about that ricer guy catch something...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct 4th for Sat SAARC race (was second until slave cylinder went...had to run race in 4th gear only and fell to 4th)...got that fixed before enduro on Sun...

For the Enduro on Sunday....on the bright side managed to come in 1st in ITA(due to being "the last one standing").... first scca and first enduro win....
however, sadly co-driver (Lyonel's brother Lee) was driving while we found out why so many people complain about those "damn spec miatas".... contact coming down hill (turn 12) car spun many many times along wall of straight....very violent/bad (driver ok though )
we'll put it this way though- we are shopping for a new chassis today.....
ah well such is racing....

despite all the bad stuff that happened....amazingly enough we still had a good time....
Old 02-28-2005, 07:53 AM

Hey Scott,
The SARRC admin. doesn't have the power to mandate the run groups whether it is a SARRC race or not. The two "powers that be" in your dilemma are the Chief Steward of a particular event or the Event Chair of a particular event. In the alternative I would suggest that you bring the matter up to the Divisional Administrator of the Stewards, Fred Schmucker. I have my doubts that a steward could mandate to a region that its club race will run only SM by itself if that run group would not meet the maximum number of cars allowable per the GCR. That would be a deviation from that granted in the GCR and Race Chairs would probably raise a stink about it.

Part of the problem is under the GCR you can put x number of cars on the track per mile per run group. An event chair is going to put the maximum allowable number of cars on the track as best he can because you are trying to keep the number of run groups at a minimum. More run groups means tighter schedule, less slack time for pulling cars out of the kitty litter or yanking them off of guardrails to tow back to the paddock. More run groups means less track time.

Now if SM is large enough to be its own field then ITB and ITC has nothing to worry about. ITB and ITC get grouped with SM because their "numbers" (ITB and ITC lack of and SM abundance of) make for a full group. Additionally the lap times are close enough to make the mix "logical". Unfortunately the reality is as we all know the biggest maintenance item for an SM racers seems to be bodywork from contact not parts wearing out. It has gotten pretty bad.

If SM does not fill up its own run group, then another class is going to be put in there and it can't be "wings and things" because fenders don't run in the same group as no fenders (for obvious reasons). So if your group is not in there then somebody else's group is. I am not sure of the solution here. I don't see how the SARRC committee can change anything on run groups (see the SARRC rules and its limitations on sedivracing.org) In particular this section:

2.2 The purpose of the SARRC Committee is to provide the cooperative leadership and organization to
the Series: To develop and enforce the Series rules and to provide for continuity and consistency
within the program. The SARRC Committee does not govern car class rules, race groups,
National or Pro race events, or anything that does not pertain to the perpetuation and continuity of
the Series.

This sounds more like a GCR/Steward issue. Whether you can get the stewards to "crack down" on SM contact to alleviate problems such as yours or get ITC moved to another run group is something you will have to work at. Good luck.

Barry H.

Modified by apexinghonda at 5:06 PM 2/28/2005
Old 02-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (RacerBowie)

Bowie, obviously big congratulations on a great start to the Pro-SMITe season (where you at Alex ) - I am bummed for Alex that he didn't get to duke it out with you but he'll be baaaack soon enough and that should be fun to watch.

As for the hits and dings and dangs and whatnot, its guys like me (and probably a whole lot of SM AND IT folks fall in this category) come off of either a better than expected ARRC finish to the season or less than they wanted. We show up weapons drawn, ready to keep going strong or make up for the lackluster 3 month old memory and ... we forget we are at Road Atlanta. I say this because two years in a row for me, this event had a lot of damage (big and small) and seemed worse than the rest of the year's races there (much more than say the ARRC even). So you guys were there and you know if it was 3 years in a row but just wanted to point out this possibility. Not trying to excuse the damage you guys saw in SM but in all fairness, they are just another IT group in this case (the situation I am referring to) with a lot more folks to make it appear that they are mostly jackasses. Just thinking that if the first SEDiv race of the year were at say CMP, we'd ALL look like a lot better drivers

Cheers and glad for all that fared well and sorry for those that didn't. Best of luck getting back out there soon (and hopefully I will be out there with ya - just don't look at me to start off my seasons at RA despite my extreme love for the track ).
Old 02-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (Lyonel 13H4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lyonel 13H4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
we'll put it this way though- we are shopping for a new chassis today..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to hear that. Looks like RA bit a few of us this past weekend.

My contribution on the pic thread ...

Old 02-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lyonel 13H4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">despite all the bad stuff that happened....amazingly enough we still had a good time.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow!!

Im glad that everybody survived the weekend, and hope to see you all back at the track soon.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (apexinghonda)

Thanks for the input Barry, as the Alabama Region RE you will be getting copied on the request when its finished. I'm not positive who exactly to send it to, so everyone is going to get a copy before the mid-year meeting.

The problem seems to be sheer volume. The class (SM) has gotten too popular for its own good. The skill level at the mid to back of the pack is vastly different from that at the front, and there are so many of them that cars just end up flying everywhere, yellow flags get blown, yada yada yada...
One of the usual SM frontrunners had to start at the back of the pack for the race and posted on IT.com this morning that he had no idea how bad it actually was in the back half of the grid... "I can't blame you ITC guys. If I was back there I'd be trying to get moved to another group too."

So I say let SM be as popular and ugly as it wants to be. Just let them do it to themselves and get the rest of us out of there. We're not asking for another group to be added, we just want to be moved to another existing group. Any of them will do, seriously. Any of them but the one we're in. I'd rather get lapped by ITS or EP cars than spend entire sessions dodging flying, out of control Mazdas.

And I agree Adam, this first weekend at RA tends to be the worst, but that doesn't mean the others aren't bad. Its kind of like having 3 teeth knocked out instead of 4 (this being a 4 tooth weekend). 3 is better than 4, but it still really sucks all sorts of ***.

BTW - The stewards handed out 7 penalties to SM drivers after QUALIFYING on Saturday. This was after the pee-pee spanking on the grid before we even got started. They STILL managed to demo derby the race.
Its not that the officials aren't trying. It just seems that nothing works.

Scott, who wants to watch the crash fest from behind the fence instead of behind the wheel (which seems reasonable to me).
Old 02-28-2005, 10:18 AM

I bet your best bet is to send a copy to every race chair in the division and to copy Schmucker (Fred's email is listed at the SEIV page under officials I believe). Those are the people that will count on this issue. You may have to go to scca.com and its region locator to get the race chairs of each region's website. You do that and it will reach the audience that does the run groups for the races. Good luck.

Barry H.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:54 AM
New User

Pro SMIT will be interesting once SM joins starting from next race. So how are those big ITA front decals coming along Bowie? (But, you know it still won't make any difference, I mean lets be realistic here. ) Guess qualifying well just got that much more important! And for sure, all you A dudes better not expect another 11th out of 12th place finish for the #84 Teggy! But do enjoy the head start. It will be fun playing catch up.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lyonel 13H4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we are shopping for a new chassis today.....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh no... Sorry to hear that. Hope you guys will be out there again soon.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pro SMIT will be interesting once SM joins starting from next race. So how are those big ITA front decals coming along Bowie? (But, you know it still won't make any difference, I mean lets be realistic here. ) Guess qualifying well just got that much more important! And for sure, all you A dudes better not expect another 11th out of 12th place finish for the #84 Teggy! But do enjoy the head start. It will be fun playing catch up.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Were there really 12 starters??? How many ITA cars turned a lap in a Pro-IT session this weekend? Anyone got a results sheet?
Old 02-28-2005, 11:04 AM
New User

I took a glimpse at the results before I left (didn't take a sheet) and I believe there were 12 starters. We had 11 after qualifying, but the dark red Integra that started the race was the 12th car. So your good rain driving picked you up some good points and most importantly good money! Good job.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took a glimpse at the results before I left (didn't take a sheet) and I believe there were 12 starters. We had 11 after qualifying, but the dark red Integra that started the race was the 12th car. So your good rain driving picked you up some good points and most importantly good money! Good job. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Right on! If there were 12 starters that means I more than covered my entry fee! Free racing. (unless you count all that other money I spent)
Old 02-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Trial User

Enjoy it now, its likely over.
That same guy that had a real good reason for hitting me under a double yellow will have plenty of justification for blocking you.

There isn't a front surface of your car big enough for the backwards "ITA" decal.

Bowie = Screwed.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Enjoy it now, its likely over.
That same guy that had a real good reason for hitting me under a double yellow will have plenty of justification for blocking you.

There isn't a front surface of your car big enough for the backwards "ITA" decal.

Bowie = Screwed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt it. The reason I say this is that unlike your car, I have MORE power than they do. I can pick and choose when I blow their doors off. If we were talking about a top 10 car, the power difference comes down and they stop going as slow in the corners, but for the cars we will be lapping in a 20 lap race:

A) I can blow their doors off at will anywhere on the track
and perhaps more importantly
B) They will block everyone indiscriminately, because they are morons.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:50 AM

looks like 5 new SM donar cars to me
Old 02-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerBowie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A) I can blow their doors off at will anywhere on the track
and perhaps more importantly
B) They will block everyone indiscriminately, because they are morons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, I'll give you that.

But I'll leave you with what the guy who hit me in qualifying told me (and he's one of the faster ones)...
"Well, I did hit you squarely."
Like I'm supposed to give him a fuggin cookie for not spinning me under a double yellow. That pretty much sums up the problem with that group.

You guys are gonna have fun with this.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OK, I'll give you that.

But I'll leave you with what the guy who hit me in qualifying told me (and he's one of the faster ones)...
"Well, I did hit you squarely."
Like I'm supposed to give him a fuggin cookie for not spinning me under a double yellow. That pretty much sums up the problem with that group.

You guys are gonna have fun with this.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am a touch worried about the "bad seeds". The way it stands, we as Pro-IT drivers can, to quote Shultz "Vote them off the island" at any time if they are being too stupid.

We will probably start to find out in June or July, as I can't imagine a ton of them showing up at a National in a month to run with us, with the go-ahead just happening Saturday.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerBowie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The way it stands, we as Pro-IT drivers can, to quote Shultz "Vote them off the island" at any time if they are being too stupid.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait just a damned minute here.
Am I to understand that it is SO widely understood that many of these guys are asshats that they are in the Pro-IT on a probationary status???
Probationary not because of participation numbers, but because its recognized that they are probably going to start running into people and screw up what is currently a very clean and well driven series.

Have I got that correct???
If so... Jeezus. Thats like the "powers that be" saying "We know the purple elephant is over there shitting in the corner, smelling up the house, but please try to deal with it because its a really cool purple elephant and LOTS of people like purple elephants."

Scott, who just plain thoroughly hates that class.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:16 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys are gonna have fun with this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the bigger fields of the Pro IT helps bring more series sponsors to increase the year end prize fund, I'm all for it. I think that's why most people running the series don't mind the addition. Now if you can start in front of all the SM cars, it should be "ok". Not only you won't have to deal with the fast ones that are generally harder to pass, but the farther up front you start the less likely you'd be part of the first lap mayhem - this a big reason why I always try to qualify well for any race in general. This is just going to make it more important to do so, but at the same time will also make it harder to get a good lap if we'll have 60+ cars on track for each race. While during the race like Bowie said, you'd only get to lap the significantly slower SMs, and on average getting by someone 5+ seconds/lap slower is quite easy to do. But this is all theory, we'll see how this tests out in a month! And I reserve the right to reverse any opinion already stated.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Scott, who just plain thoroughly hates that class.</TD></TR></TABLE>
And after last weekend I can picture you saying that in person with so much more emotion and determination than just text.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There isn't a front surface of your car big enough for the backwards "ITA" decal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ITA sticker won't do anything anyway. There was a guy out there during the test day and during practice who had an ITA Miata with a big reverse print "ITA" window banner.

Know what? for the race, he changed the classes on the SIDE of the car to SM and ran as a SM. But curiously, the windshield banner remained. Pretty crafty.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (krshultz)

How far are the spec miatas away from having an entire race?

honestly I would like my SPU car to run ANY other group besides them. Why ? All suspension points are custom and they have the inclination like formula cars to rip off.

Probably safest for me to run with the formula cars since they also have basically exposed wheels.

But the problem is real. When I had a miata for a few weeks in January I was getting amazing money for parts that a 97 car should not fetch! $200 for a used hood? $100 a fender? $275 a door? and the whopper was $400 for the rear 1/4 panel. I would honestly think that this means demand is extremely high for these parts as they are being used up although everyone wants "spares" or everyone and their brother is running one.

The plus side for me is cheaper brake pads since I am using Miata Calipers. Hooray for that!

I dont think I would call them ALL hoodlams or cowboys but some of the guys I have seen racing them would definietly get the title!

Solutions ? Maybe their own group ? Personally I would be TERRIFIED to run my SPU car against them.. I simply cannot afford new A arms that often and body panels to boot. Let them run.. just not with me
~Jonathan
Old 02-28-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05 (Want2race)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Want2race &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How far are the spec miatas away from having an entire race?

Solutions ? Maybe their own group ? Personally I would be TERRIFIED to run my SPU car against them.. I simply cannot afford new A arms that often and body panels to boot. Let them run.. just not with me
~Jonathan</TD></TR></TABLE>

GCR 7.7.1 says the max no. of cars allowed on the course is 25 cars per mile which although I don't see it in the GCR I believe you can get a 10% over that by the Stewards most time. 7.1.1 allows a steward to bump it up or down.

So the answer to your question how many cars does it take to get its own group is "it depends". It obviously depends on how long is the road course which controls the number.

Have you seen SPU grouped with SM? I don't think I have seen that. Maybe I missed it. I would think not in that SPU cars could potentially be a lot faster and speed differential is one of the biggies to look at in grouping cars together. If you SPU car has fenders forget it running with "wings and things" (formula cars). They will not mix the two (or shouldn't).

Barry H.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta *Pics* - 02-26-05