Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Racing in other car clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing in other car clubs?

Do you guys ever do HPDE with other car clubs?
I noticed the porsche club is hosting a few HPDEs this summer, but I dont want to be unwelcome or anything in my honda...
Old 07-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (jond)

Different Porsche clubs have different rules about non-Porsches running with them. Most are very open, and very friendly, to non-Porsches. I do know of one however that is Porsche only, and very rude about it.

My personal favorites are the ones that allow non-Porsches, but are a bit snobby about it. Then you just go out on the track and kick their a$$es. Now THAT is fun!!!!

Matt
Old 07-11-2002, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (speedracer33)

Yeah that is fun Spanking other high $$$ and high horsepower cars Which is why I love autocrossing
Old 07-11-2002, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (CivicSiRacer)

I took my CRX to an auto-x last year put on by the Philly region of PCA. They had 911s everywhere, including a 996TT, an E46M3, etc. I had fastest time of the day for the morning session by almost 2 full seconds. CRXs rock!

Matt
Old 07-11-2002, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mike Hi-5s Matt Woot!

I know this doesn't count but I got my 1st FASTEST PAX OF THE DAY on June 30th
Old 07-11-2002, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any why wouldn't that count? Good driving =
Old 07-11-2002, 07:22 AM
New User

Do you guys ever do HPDE with other car clubs?

I noticed the porsche club is hosting a few HPDEs this summer, but I dont want to be unwelcome or anything in my honda...
I do a lot of HPDE with BMW CCA. The people are nice and there are usually a fair number (a minority, but not insignificant) of non-BMW cars there. The BMW owners treat you well, anyway (and in fact, many of the BMW owners also own Hondas). They have a lot of track events going on; each chapter usually has 1-3 per year, and you can drive in events held by nearby chapters as well as your own. Some of the events book up quickly, and it usually helps if you're already a club member. (For most of them, if you're not a member, they make you pay the dues as part of the application.)

I've driven a couple of events with PCA and I don't recommend them at all for non-Porsches. They won't even let you join the club unless you own a Porsche. In a Honda, don't expect to be welcomed with open arms.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this doesn't count but I got my 1st FASTEST PAX OF THE DAY on June 30th
Sweet! Good job Mikey! *sniff* They grow up so fast....

Matt
Old 07-11-2002, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (JMU1337)

Worldcarz.com

They have lapping sessions, tons of time for the money and it is fairly laid back.

I took my RX-7 to a Porsche event before and I had a good time, no problems. They had a class for "non-Porshe's". Just don't be suprised if you make someone feel bad if you can drive and finish ahead of a $$$ weenie
Old 07-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know about growing up - but I know after Evolution Phase I & II I got so much faster
Old 07-11-2002, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (nsxtcjr)

I've driven a couple of events with PCA and I don't recommend them at all for non-Porsches. They won't even let you join the club unless you own a Porsche.
This is not correct. I'm a PCA member, and I don't own a Porsche.

In a Honda, don't expect to be welcomed with open arms.
Again, depends on the region. Reisentoter region (Philly) has been nothing but nice to me since I first started doing track events.

Matt
Old 07-11-2002, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

a lot of clubs will be happy to have you join their track days, it means they make more money and its not much skin off their backs for an extra few ppl. check your local track schedule, if theres any track day on an available weekend, itdoesnt hurt to ask for their info and call and ask if you can run with them that day.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took my CRX to an auto-x last year put on by the Philly region of PCA. They had 911s everywhere, including a 996TT, an E46M3, etc. I had fastest time of the day for the morning session by almost 2 full seconds. CRXs rock!
Man, you must be a braver soul than me.. I went to a PCA event last year Delaware Campus of Penn State-- whoa.. the surface was crap (the gravel/pebbles ate chunks out of my tires), the course had to be altered in two places because it was too tight to be driven without coning or stopping and backing up to make the corners!! ..and there were curbs all over the place, very close to the course line.. After I finished the day and thought about it a bit more, I decided that I didn't want to race so close to concrete curbing again, and haven't been back...

That said, the people were mostly quite nice, as I have found to be the case for most any motor sport group!

Edit: sorry to not be helpful on the HPDE aspect of the original question.. I say contact the club and find out what their policy is, but I'd be surprised if they are exclusive.

[Modified by MechE00, 10:57 AM 7/11/2002]
Old 07-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (MechE00)

Man, you must be a braver soul than me.. I went to a PCA event last year Delaware Campus of Penn State-- whoa.. the surface was crap
Yep, that is where I ran with them.

and there were curbs all over the place, very close to the course line.. After I finished the day and thought about it a bit more, I decided that I didn't want to race so close to concrete curbing again, and haven't been back...
Yes, the curbs were close, and there were a couple of places where you could definately screw up the car if you made a mistake. Then again, I'm willing to race wheel to wheel at Watkins Glen at 120+ mph right next to armco barriers, so I figured what the hell.

Matt
Old 07-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (MechE00)

I always attend the local Corvette autocrosses since they are 2 miles down the road. I know they hate little ole ricer me showing up since I'm usually one of the fastest cars there Kinda humbles the Z06 owners (ok alot!).

But I also don't act all smart-*** and actually try to strike up conversations with everyone too. No chip on my shoulders (or none that I can see right now)
Old 07-11-2002, 11:26 AM
New User

I've driven a couple of events with PCA and I don't recommend them at all for non-Porsches. They won't even let you join the club unless you own a Porsche.
Yes, it IS true, and has been true for many years. I've even verified it with their head of membership.

You'll even notice on their membership application, a Porsche VIN is required. Granted, you can get in by lying about your ownership and giving them a phony VIN - as you apparently have done - but it IS a requirement.

And there are very, very few non-Porsches at their events, based on the ones I've attended. They don't even like it very much when real Porsche owners (the ones who didn't lie to join) bring their non-Porsche cars to the track.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it IS true, and has been true for many years. I've even verified it with their head of membership.

You'll even notice on their membership application, a Porsche VIN is required. Granted, you can get in by lying about your ownership and giving them a phony VIN - as you apparently have done - but it IS a requirement.

And there are very, very few non-Porsches at their events, based on the ones I've attended. They don't even like it very much when real Porsche owners (the ones who didn't lie to join) bring their non-Porsche cars to the track.
NSXTCJR is correct. I know it was mandatory that I had to provide my VIN for my membership a year ago and that wasn't a regional thing it was a national one.

I am not a big fan of PCA. In our region however, the POC and BPOC is an entirely different story - that is a very fun and nice and all-marques-are-welcome group to run with HERE (no clue elsewhere). This isn't a knock on P-car folks at all, I just had a couple distasteful dealings with PCA but would try them in other regions before I ruled them out.

Old 07-11-2002, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (phat-S)

I was at the tracktime website the other day trying to plan my late summer and noticed that almost every Porshce event was limited to Porsches - I don't recall any other groups that were limited.

On another note, the WORST autox I've ever been to was a P affair. There were about 20 cones total and the organizer actually said that he didn't mind us (non-P) folk coming out this once, but "don't make a habit of coming here." (Maybe, despite the $30 entry fee and few additional open spots, PCA was subsidizing me for those 20 cones, no announcer, and three runs ). Never again!

On the third hand, I've always felt welcome when surrounded by Honders, Bimmers, Z caas, and Mazders.

[Modified by HippoSleek, 8:57 PM 7/11/2002]
Old 07-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had to join PCA to do a track event at Lime Rock in April. I sent in the application, left the VIN blank, got my membership card in the mail. I am a PCA member, and believe me, I've never owned a Porsche.

Matt
Old 07-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From http://www.pca.org/join/quest.html

Although membership in PCA requires ownership/lease of a Porsche or that you be in a Porsche related business, we do offer something for those of you actively trying to become Porsche owners.

The PCA QUEST program provides you a 6 month subscription to Panorama Magazine, the club's monthly national magazine. You'll not only have access to hundreds of Porsches for sale by PCA members in Panorama's MART section, but you'll also gain access to valuable technical information about the cars through the many articles in Panorama. You'll also have access to the on-line Mart during your six-month subscription period. A password will be assigned to you when you sign up for the Quest Program. You will also be put in touch with the local chapter of PCA in your area to help you with your education about Porsches and your Porsche search.

Although PCA Quest is not a membership in PCA and does not entitle you to member benefits (access to tech and forum sections of the PCA website or attending member events), regions may welcome guests and you are encouraged to make contact with your local chapter of PCA.

PCA Quest is $40 for a one-time 6 month subscription (nonrenewable). The fee is nonrefundable and cannot be applied toward a membership in whole or in part should you acquire a Porsche and join PCA prior to the expiration of the 6 month subscription.

To sign up for PCA Quest, please call the PCA Executive Office in Springfield, VA, M-F 8-6PM ET, 703-451-9000.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing in other car clubs? (phat-S)

No Adam, I have a full PCA membership.

One thing that might be a factor. I originally joined PCA 4years ago to do a track event down at Summit. When I joined again earlier this year, it was actually a renewal, not a new membership. Maybe 4 years ago non-Porsche owners could join, and my membership was grandfathered in because I originally joined before that requirement? Just a guess...

Matt
Old 07-11-2002, 01:19 PM
New User

No, it's been that way for a lot longer than that - as long as I can remember (~10 years), probably even longer.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Then I guess I'm just very very special.

Matt
Old 07-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heh. I am a member of BMWCCA, have been for 3 years now. A certain PCA group *cough*Settlers*cough* was running a joint PCA/BMWCCA track day. Meaning they invited any BMWCCA member to run with them. I signed up, wrote Integra GS-R under car and sent it in.

Only to get a phone message a few days later from someone who questioned my choice of track car and asked if I could bring my BMW instead. Turns out they only wanted BMWCCA members who were going to bring their BMW...
Old 07-12-2002, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then you went to special school, eh?

Quick Reply: Racing in other car clubs?