Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

racing with no license

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing with no license

Okay, I was talking to a few guys that autocross about Road Racing. I want to track my own car at a track like Laguna Seca or something similar every now and then, and they were telling me I needed to take some classes before I could legitimately race my own car there without an instructor in the passenger seat. Is this true?

I would just like to do some timed lapping, not actually entering a race.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:07 AM
.RJ

Default Re: racing with no license (milanoGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by milanoGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just like to do some timed lapping, not actually entering a race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And if you're doing timed laps for competition, then you really ought to have safety gear in the car (cage, seat, harness, fire system, etc) and be prepared to wad it up and walk away from it, should that ever happen.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (.RJ)

Nasaproracing.com
Scca.org

Read up on these sites
Old 10-31-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by milanoGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, I was talking to a few guys that autocross about Road Racing. I want to track my own car at a track like Laguna Seca or something similar every now and then, and they were telling me I needed to take some classes before I could legitimately race my own car there without an instructor in the passenger seat. Is this true?

I would just like to do some timed lapping, not actually entering a race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking about actual racing (as in wheel-to-wheel or time trials)? Or just driver ed type events (which are not timed)?

You say timed laps, which requires a license, safety gear, etc.

By the sound of it, what you really want is a NASA HPDE or similar event. You get an instructor to make sure you don't kill yourself. But, you are not timed (because you are not racing, you are at a educational event).

Does that make sense?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's Nasa-X or TT. Basically an autocross on a roadcourse, with timed laps, but not wheel-to-wheel. Competition is based off of fastest lap.

You need to progress through the ranks of HPDE ladder to do it (I believe you have to be signed off to HPDE Group 4).

Just go to a regular HPDE, you be very thankful you had an instructor, since they can point out your mistakes and help you develope FASTER times when you're ready.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (Crack Monkey)

It all depends on the event organizers. Each has a different set of standards. You use Laguna Seca as an example so I will tell you you can go to Laguna Seca in December with TCRA , enter their beginner group, receive classroom instruction, and by the end of the weekend you will be driving the track without an instructor and receiving lap times (if your car is equipped with a transponder).

There are MANY events on the West coast with formats that give instruction but allow you to freely drive the race track. All of this with your existing street car and very basic safety guidelines (helmet).

You will have to investigate what is available in your area.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (rickpeak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rickpeak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It all depends on the event organizers. Each has a different set of standards. You use Laguna Seca as an example so I will tell you you can go to Laguna Seca in December with TCRA , enter their beginner group, receive classroom instruction, and by the end of the weekend you will be driving the track without an instructor and receiving lap times (if your car is equipped with a transponder).

There are MANY events on the West coast with formats that give instruction but allow you to freely drive the race track. All of this with your existing street car and very basic safety guidelines (helmet).

You will have to investigate what is available in your area.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? I'm not so sure I like that: beginners getting timed. Getting your lap-time only induces competition, which is not something you want with inexperienced drivers. My thoughts anyway...
Old 10-31-2003, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (rickpeak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rickpeak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are MANY events on the West coast with formats that give instruction but allow you to freely drive the race track. All of this with your existing street car and very basic safety guidelines (helmet).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow! Makes me glad I live on the East coast. Noobs with no safety gear getting timed? Sounds dangerous to me.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (Crack Monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crack Monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow! Makes me glad I live on the East coast. Noobs with no safety gear getting timed? Sounds dangerous to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

these are the same guys that originated the idea of passing without a point in HPDE too

joel
Old 10-31-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (JoelG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoelG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

these are the same guys that originated the idea of passing without a point in HPDE too

joel</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOOOOOOOOOOO SCARY. Us safety conscious east coasters should next mandate speed limits on race tracks during HPDEs, install a red light at pit out etc,

Gimme a break.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (SPiFF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPiFF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WOOOOOOOOOOO SCARY. Us safety conscious east coasters should next mandate speed limits on race tracks during HPDEs....</TD></TR></TABLE>We already have speed limits on race tracks -- it's called idiots who don't know how to use their mirrors and give a point by. At speeds over 100mph, do you really want to pass some clueless know-it-all who can't check their mirrors often enough to let by a train of faster cars without some indication that they actually know you are going to pass them?

I value my car more than that.

Karen
Old 10-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Milano,

The local racetrack for you is Heartland Park in Topeka. http://www.hpt.com/roadcourse.htm I don't think they have any more track days for this year.

In regards to going to a track and doing timed laps... there's nothing wrong with that. Make sure to take get an instructor. Most track days it's free and highly suggested. If you still want lap times, my suggestion is have a friend outside the car time you, while you concentrate on the track. Being a newbie on track, there's a lot to take in, and the last thing you want to be thinking is... how do I lower my lap time?

Also of note. Most track days are classified as "driver education" or "high performance driving events." Make sure that your insurance company covers these "track days." Lots of companies still cover accidents on the track with 2 conditions... you weren't racing (competition, time trails, etc) and you weren't running a timing device. If they find out that you had timing device and have a record of it... you're screwed.

For those who love to start up controversy... yes, how will they know if you have a hot lap timer, or stop watch, etc. They don't. But make sure if you do wreck, there's no evidence of it. AMB transponders are the worst to get caught with because most tracks keep records of the times for a few days and the insurance company will check your name on the lists. Many insurance companies have walked away from claims because they had any of the three devices found in the car after the accident. Make sure you don't get screwed.

Just my $.02
Old 10-31-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: (sleedawg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also of note. Most track days are classified as "driver education" or "high performance driving events." Make sure that your insurance company covers these "track days." Lots of companies still cover accidents on the track with 2 conditions... you weren't racing (competition, time trails, etc) and there is no timing device. If they find out that you had timing device and have a record of it... you're screwed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, they might cover you...and then drop your coverage (and maybe blacklist you, who knows...). They might not cover you either, so you should check with your insurance company first if you can't afford to total your car and walk away from that financially.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (CamaroFS34)

Karen,

Wait until you get into wheel-to-wheel racing. We've got idiots who don't know to check their mirrors and then they move offline into the passing lanes when they realize when you've come around to lap them. It's fun stuff. Really gets your heart pumping.

-someone who values a podium finish over the value of his car.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: racing with no license (sleedawg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleedawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wait until you get into wheel-to-wheel racing. We've got idiots who don't know to check their mirrors and then they move offline into the passing lanes when they realize when you've come around to lap them. It's fun stuff. Really gets your heart pumping.</TD></TR></TABLE>Ah, but when you're doing actual racing, you've got full-on safety equipment, something you don't necessarily have in an HPDE.

Karen
stopped opentracking when she realized she couldn't replace her Camaro