Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

r2x does her first race weekend! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 06:13 AM
r2x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default r2x does her first race weekend! (long)

Cliffs Notes: Racing is fun!!!!!

So my weekend started early last week... I left work Thursday about 2:30 to go home, throw the last few things in the Jeep, grab the dog, and get on the road to CMP to get there with plenty of light to set up the tent and get all settled in for the weekend.

I'm headed south, making great time, just got past Cheraw and all of a sudden the Jeep was making strange noises... the driver rear tire was FLAT! Big fun... so I pull over and proceed to change the tire (to my mini spare... doh!). I was quite glad I had all my usual tire changing gear with me so it was really fairly easy. In the process of changeing the tire, several nice locals stopped to be sure I didn't need anything, and a nice water department guy with lights on the top of his truck parked behind me for visibility. As I'm getting the spare pumped up from 2.5 lbs to the recommended 60 lbs, Charlie Guthrie drives by, then turns around and comes back. Special thanks to Charlie for staying with me and following me the rest of the way to the track at the recommended speed of 50 mph. As we're headed into Kershaw, there's a pretty amazing lightning storm just ahead. As we're crossing the city limits, it starts to just POUR down rain. At this point, I punt, and stop at Bojangles so we can get dinner. We stay there until the rain stops, and continue on to the track to get all set up. Not even a mile from the Bo, we run back into the rain. (Doh!!!) We get to the track and attempt to stay dry until the rain ends. It did maybe within 20-30 minutes and we set up our camp. We later heard the the track got 3 inches of rain in 45 minutes. That's a lot of water.

Friday morning was initially spent being sure all paperwork was done, for both me and the car, to begin the comp school. This consisted of classroom discussions, and on track exercises and practice races. The classroom had a panel of racers to answer questions and discuss racing situations. These racers also got out on track with us to "harass" us a bit. The first 2 sessions consisted of exercises, driving only on 1/2 of the track, both right and left, side by side around the entire track, and leapfrog passing through designated turns. The second 2 sessions were practice starts and races. What fun! (Though I got my butt kicked on the starts. Got to work on that.) All in all, the comp school was terriffic and I got a TON out of it. I can't imagine being ready to race without some kind of similar instruction. Thumbs-up to the NASA forlks for putting together such a good school. The last excitement of Friday was Chris Cobetto coming to tell me whether I passed or not (essentially, could I race that weekend). He was sounding like I didn't and I was trying hard to figure out how not to look just devistated, but it turned out he was pulling my leg (meanie!). I did pass and then it was time to start thinking about the real thing.

Friday evening we cooked food, relaxed, bench raced, etc. Suprisingly, the weather in the evenings was bearable and at night I was quite glad I'd brought the "just in case" blanket, and honestly wish I'd brought 2 of them. Fans rule.

Saturday dawned early. I was in Small Bore, which was the first group on track the next morning for practice. Was so excited about it, I ended up first in line. As I'm sitting there watching folks line up behind me I was thinking "Self, we really should have gotten at in the back of the pack." The upside was that all I had to worry about was the people behind me, not passing anyone, so it was actually really good practice for the newbie. For qualifying, I went out about mid pack, got terrible times, but got good racing practice (which I thought was more important for now). Then it was the 1st race. I believe I qualified 3rd from the back. I had fun passing a couple of people, and also being passed. Trying to chase down the next closest Miata, and get around the sentra that was determined to block me. Racing is such a different experience (duh!). I sure drove harder than I ever had before, and was quite thankful for all my mishaps as a student as I was well practiced at handling a car that stepped out or blowing the braking zone. I didn't go off in the races (except the guy that ran me off coming out of 3 on Sunday, boy that was fun), but I made full use of the gators in 14 more times than I would have liked. I'm NO good at that turn.

Saturday night was the usual NASA party, food, trophies, etc. The evening was again nice, and we had a good time just hanging out, playing cards, and bench racing.

Sunday, for me in Small Bore, was 2 races, instead of the normal practice, qualifying, race the other groups did. Apparently this has something to do with the Legends guys running with that group. Whatever it was, it was fun. My starts continued to stink, but I had a blast racing and and ended up running my fastest lap time of the weekend in the 2nd Sunday race. Still 5 seconds off the fast SM cars, but I thought a 2:02.8xx wasn't bad considering.

All in all, the weekend was fantastic. The only tires I changed all weekend were on the tow vehicle, and the car ran great. Special thanks to Ron for bringing me a tire to CMP so I didn't have to try and find one to fit the Jeep in Kershaw. Also, I was quite glad there was tire support at the track so the mounting was easy.

I have a lot of experience to gain, and look forward to learning and getting faster. Thanks to everyone over the years who has encouraged me with all the driving fun I've had. This open yet a new chapter. I can't wait to see how it goes.

Next race is at CMS in August. I believe it's ECHC, Spec Miata, American Iron, and one other group racing that weekend, as well as a HPDE. Come on out and watch!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: r2x does her first race weekend! (r2x)

Old 08-05-2002, 06:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

good job diane!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: r2x does her first race weekend! (Chad)

Diane and Jason Franza smiled the whole weekend I am pretty sure!!! of course so did I for that matter
Old 08-05-2002, 06:26 AM
Rather OG

Default Re: r2x does her first race weekend! (Solracer)

is still grinning ear to ear!

You looked great out there, fellow MSY stunna!

[Modified by Jason Franza, 10:26 AM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 06:26 AM

It was great to see you in the drivers seat, and not just during an instructor/advanced session. I better see you gridding up closer to the front in these races pretty soon.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took a bunch of pictures of you. Dunno if they came out good yet - if they did I'll post them somewhere.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: r2x does her first race weekend! (Dragon)

I better see you gridding up closer to the front in these races pretty soon.
can anyone say trophy man?
Old 08-05-2002, 10:37 AM
r2x

Default Re: r2x does her first race weekend! (Willard)

can anyone say trophy man?
Let's not put the cart before the horse. I'd need to threaten the fast guys first. 5 seconds off the leader pace won't cut it.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

diane....my first race i was 5 seconds off.....i have changed nothing on my car and am less than a second off!! time for more HP's and suspension....too bad he wrapped up the points championship!!

it will come....plus get mentally prepared well before the race!!!

[Modified by Chad, 3:55 PM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They are big, so I will just put links, but here ya go:

http://www.nogumracing.com/graphics/...ane_grid_1.jpg
http://www.nogumracing.com/graphics/...ane_grid_2.jpg
http://www.nogumracing.com/graphics/...rx7_before.jpg
http://www.nogumracing.com/graphics/...srx7_after.jpg
http://www.nogumracing.com/graphics/...e_t1_alone.jpg
http://www.nogumracing.com/graphics/..._t1_blurry.jpg
http://www.nogumracing.com/graphics/.../diane_t10.jpg
http://www.nogumracing.com/graphics/...ne_t2_pack.jpg

Enjoy.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on a successful first weekend. Don't worry about your times, they will come down with a few races under your belt - I went from 1:38s at Summit Point to 1:35s over my first season. Of course, since I've not been on track since February, I'll probably be back at 1:38s when I start up again in Sept.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:26 PM
New User

Watching Diane drive is a great experience. She is smooth and fluid - although I hear she wasn't always like that. If that is in fact true then that makes it even more special to have witnessed her debut into the world of road racing. 6 months ago I asked her if she would ever want to race. What I got was a solid, resounding "no". In April she watched the Honda Challenge's first race. She was bitten by the bug. 4 months later here she is. The only clue that she was a rookie were the 3 blue stripes on the front and back of her car. In a matter of a few sessions she had learned how to take as well as defend positions in a safe and clean manner. Her skills were right in line with many of the others on the track with her. Some were better but some were not. She didn't win but she still had fun. Something some of us have a hard time doing when our cars are busted or we aren't driving as well as we can.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching her in her first racing experience. The look on her face when she got out of the car after her first race is not one I will soon forget. The smile and excitement said it all. Racing is now in her, as it is in the rest of us.

Congratulations on taking the next step!
Old 08-06-2002, 08:47 AM
r2x

Default Re: r2x does her first race weekend!

Thanks everybody for the kind words, encouragement, and cool pix. I can't wait until CMS!