Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 06:27 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly

It can easily be done and be done well. You just need an enclosed ventilated space. If you dont have that, then you need some luck and good timing. So far this week I've had none of the above.

The Good - Paint and hardener - $130 from Autocolor. It was only this high because I went with red at $75/gallon. Black, white, etc. is only $30 per gallon. The hardener was $25.
Go with a single color like black and the cost is only $55.
Compressor and paint gun - $45 rental from a local place here in Albany. Thats for 24 hours. $2 for each hour over 24.

The Bad - I don't have a paint booth or anything resembling one. This means weather timing is crucial. No rain, no wind, and some cloud cover helps.
No, I had no luck with any of the above.

The Ugly - Woke up yesterday to sunny skies, no wind, ans a slight chance of showers (the everyday Georgia summer forecast). Rented materials and went to work.
Just as I started, the wind started to kick up. not a steady one, but quick, unexpected gusts. The result was that I couldn't control the paint and ended up with overspray and inconsistencies everywhere. Then, because Karl is my friend, a thunderstorm came up on the horizon. I had to ditch what I was doing and put the car back in the garage. I beat the rain by about 5 minutes.
Upon looking at it after it dried, I decided to punt and start all over again today. So I wet sanded everything, re-masked, and prayed for better weather luck.

I got started earlier today to avoid some heat. Got off to a much better start. No wind and a little cloud cover. I got about 1/2 of the car done and the damned wind started blowing again. Dammit!!!
So the end result is that one side of the car looks pretty good. Unfortunately the other side needs some serious buffing and light wet sanding. Hopefully I can get it looking OK as well.

The moral of this story is that you CAN paint your race car for about $125 (One color of paint, gun/compressor, tape/sandpaper/drop cloths) and it CAN come out pretty good if you're lucky weather wise.
If you have access to a paint booth... No problem at all.

In the end I'm in for less than $225 for 2 colors (with a fair amount of paint left over) and the car will look "decent" when I'm completely done.
It won't look nearly as good as many of the multi-colored cars I've seen, but many of them are sporting $700 to $1000 in paint and bodywork, so I'm feeling OK about my do-it-yourself decision. Although I probably should have saved myself about $70/a couple of hours of labor and just done the car in one color.
Oh well.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (Catch 22)

reminds me of my horrible paint project....

rattle canned on the side of my house over 4 days. This picture is 100 times better than what it looked like in real life.

I eventually got smart and shelled out $300 and paid Maaco to do it for me.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (Driven)

$350 From Maaco
Old 07-17-2003, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This reminds me: What grit sandpaper do you use? I have a luvly shade of pink going on from oxidation and sun damage on the hood, and it's actually starting to rub pigment off when you touch the paint.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Compressor and paint gun - $45 rental from a local place here in Albany. Thats for 24 hours.</TD></TR></TABLE>
if you already have the compressor (or can borrow one) a decent HVLP gravity feed gun can be had for about $50 from Harbor Freight.

and Im curious, why not do it in your garage?
did you have a problem with the wind carrying paint and depositing it on the side of your house, other cars, etc?

for the Maaco guys, did the $300 paint job include any paint color, or do you only have selection from a few basic colors?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my first ever car painting experience on my Corvair racecar in 1991 shooting white paint on a "good enough" bondo job on my gravel driveway in the sun with the owner of the borrowed gun and compressor nearby yelling "hold it this way", "keep it wet", etc. Then I put the American racing two blue stripes on it.
For all that and under a $50 investment, it came out pretty well although no self respecting car painter would claimed it as his own work.

After that I had a fellow CRX racer who was a body man do all of my paint and major body work for many years but through a bizarre sequence of a kidnapping/murder/suicide I again need to find a body man/painter whom I can trust and afford to pay. My garage is a drive out basement with the gas furnace nearby and shared ventilation with the rest of the house so painting in the garage is out of the question.

I've wondered about doing as much prep myself then having Maaco shoot it but have avoided it so far.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:06 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (elgorey)

For the Maaco job, did you prep the car yourself, or do they do the masking, etc?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (Floyd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Floyd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the Maaco job, did you prep the car yourself, or do they do the masking, etc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When we painted my motorcycle (way back when) we did the bondo, sanded, stripped it clean and handed over all the parts mostly taped off (the painter had to do some adjusting here and there but it saved me money and him time = bonus). This however was on a motorcycle and the guy brokering the deal was a friend (actually races F Prod in CenDiv now - there's an irony there I am sure) so I am not sure how much this was a one off vs. a normal deal for Maaco.

Should add that when I spoke to some local shops about doing a paint job for the race car, they preferred I didn't try prepping it myself as they would have to go over it anyway and thought it would be a doubling of effort w/ little cost savings.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:27 AM

Quickie sand and spray at the local Econo Auto Body & Paint, bright red: $125.00
7 cans of Krylon white spray for that pimpy 2 color effect: $21.00
1 can of black Rustolium oil based and a few brushes for the checkers: $9.00

Knowing I only spent $155 to do it all so when I wrinkle it up and rub it up against someones tire at high speed (OR when I get smacked by a purple and yellow Accord ) I'm not out big $$$$ : PRICELESS

Modified by 1gTeg90 at 6:39 PM 7/17/2003
Old 07-17-2003, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (1gTeg90)

Wow man, that's wild. I have never looked at the paint with scrutiny but I would have bet dollars to donughts that was a professional job just going by memory. You and Uncle Catch need to teach me how to do all these pimpy checkerboard things. Will cook for lessons.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (phat-S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phat-S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow man, that's wild. I have never looked at the paint with scrutiny but I would have bet dollars to donughts that was a professional job just going by memory. You and Uncle Catch need to teach me how to do all these pimpy checkerboard things. Will cook for lessons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ehhhh, well, it's best when not viewed with scrutiny, or at closer than 8-10 feet for that matter. But it looks OK at 100 mph, from what they tell me.

Seriously, I'll schedule a "How to paint stuff on your car with a brush" class late August when we're at Lowes, in exchange for you cooking that lasagna again! Deal??

Mmmmmm...... lasagna.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (mattjohnston)

I got to choose any color from Maaco.. It is Tafetta White..

I bondo'd it.... and sanded alot of it, and removed the glass, trim etc....
Old 07-17-2003, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (Floyd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Floyd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the Maaco job, did you prep the car yourself, or do they do the masking, etc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I got my Maaco job 3 years ago, i just dropped it off...they got so excited about doing a race car that they did an incredible job. What hasn't been hit or taken off still looks great now.

I will be rattle-canning my hood, front bumper, and fenders tomorrow night...I am voting for it turning out "ugly", but we'll see.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (RacerBowie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerBowie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When I got my Maaco job 3 years ago, i just dropped it off...they got so excited about doing a race car that they did an incredible job. What hasn't been hit or taken off still looks great now.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same deal with the Econo that did my car in Columbia. They were awestruck apparently with the fact that there was a "race car" in their shop, they did all kinds of extra labor (took everything off instead of masking so there would be paint everwhere, even did a lot of filling and smoothing) that they didn't charge for. I'll bet though, in a place like Atlanta, they probably wouldn't get as hot and bothered about a race car as they did in Columbia. Overall though, a pretty good deal for me, just got kinda tired of being asked by every yo-yo-yo that stopped by the place "how fast do it go" and "you gonna put a turbo or nawwws on it?"

Modified by 1gTeg90 at 7:21 PM 7/17/2003
Old 07-17-2003, 10:42 AM

Scott,

you should have given me a call.. I painted my car myself and it tuned out very well!

not to mention I have 3 cans of hardener and 2 gallons of paint left over. I got the air compressor and the guns to do the job..

I just sprayed mine in my garage with plastic sheeting as the barrier, worked well.

from this :

to this :
Old 07-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (Want2race)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Want2race &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Scott,

you should have given me a call.. I painted my car myself and it tuned out very well!

not to mention I have 3 cans of hardener and 2 gallons of paint left over. I got the air compressor and the guns to do the job..

I just sprayed mine in my garage with plastic sheeting as the barrier, worked well.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wanna paint a miata?!?!!?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:55 AM

want?/ hmm.. not to sure.. If your in GA and want candy apple red (non metalic) then maybe..

and scott.. dont you know the trick???

You take the hose and spray EVERYTHING around for 40 feet with water so its damp and that way you dont have sand and crap flying into the paint!

one more :

more @ http://want2race.net/paintjob/
Old 07-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I will be living in GA as of the 1st of August, but I most definitely don't want red....MazdaComp Orange sounds more like it!!!!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:03 AM

I have some taffetta white.. But as of august 3rd I wont live in GA .. I might be able to help you though.. where in GA ?
Old 07-17-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually Marietta, but I am just fookin' w/ ya...gonna mess with painting later in the year, if at all.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Trial User

Damned Jon.
And I gotta bring the car to Atl next week for a little of Trever's wiring magic anyway.
I wish I'd known. I'd certainly have let you do it. I'da bought the beer and pizza.

The red parts of mine actually look pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. There's a few rough spots where the wind screwed with me, but all in all its OK.
The black on the other hand looks pretty shitty. The wind was kicking up and I couldn't get the spray to settle down. I'm hoping that alot of rubbing compound will smooth is out. After that... decals, decals, decals!!!

Didn't do it in the garage due to overspray and ventilation issues. The yard was the best I could do.

And I did do the "wet the grass" trick. It was the wind blowing crap out of the trees that got me.

The hood looks rattlecanned, but its OK for the most part.

Scott, who like Richard won't worry about running into things and messing up his paint job. I also still got a quart of red and 3 quarts of black left to take care of future bumps and bruises.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We painted the CRX ourselves. Bought the Gun for about $75. It was used...but aparantly, it's a pretty good gun. Just hung a bunch of plastic around in the garage. I first stapled the plastic to long boards (shim sized, but longer), then stapled the boards to the walls. It worked out pretty well, some paint still got out...but for the most part it did the job.

Everything, hung and prepped (that's me in the pic):
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com...6.jpg

Primered:
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com...9.jpg

The paint:
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com...5.jpg

Getting painted:
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com...8.jpg
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com...3.jpg

it was then wet sanded, cleaned again, and repainted (a little more orange peel than we wanted):
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com...0.jpg
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com...0.jpg
Dry on the outside...but not fully cured:
http://www.fatboyraceworks.com...5.jpg

My tip: always paint the inside first. (if it's shell, like we had..). I'll tell you why. Because then, when you start to paint the outside, the overspray will settle on the interior, giving it a flat finish, instead of glossy.. This helps reduce glare.... but the flat is a lot harder to clean. Also, you can tell by the pics, that the car didn't have the cage in at the time of painting. I suggest you wait until your cage is in.

overall, I'm pretty happy with it:
Old 07-17-2003, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly (elgorey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elgorey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if you already have the compressor (or can borrow one) a decent HVLP gravity feed gun can be had for about $50 from Harbor Freight.

and Im curious, why not do it in your garage?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hmm, i wonder if i would get in trouble if i took it to a storage place and did it there? That's one of the plans for my "race car" (it breaks more than i can race it) is to paint it myself with bought/rented compressor and gun.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1gTeg90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
... just got kinda tired of being asked by every yo-yo-yo that stopped by the place "how fast do it go" and "you gonna put a turbo or nawwws on it?"
[/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

My favorite question is "What'll it do in the quarter mile?"

Answer: Damnfino and not interested in tryin'
Old 07-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cost, roughly $140 for supplies. Had my own area to spray, gun, compressor, etc. Used cheap *** single stage dupont paint. Didnt even bother wetsanding. Just sprayed and let dry. Turned out good enough for a track beater. If you take your time, you can make them look very good, especially for under $200.

Prepping the car

After paint

Quick Reply: Painting Your Own Race Car-The Good Bad and Ugly