Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Which oil pan baffling design would be better???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which oil pan baffling design would be better???

The Racing Beat/Mazdatrix baffle plate looks like it is placed on top of the oil pan (where the gasket would rest), so it is not welded within the pan like the ISC one.

*Those familiar with Racing Beat/Mazdatrix might have the tendency to choose it for its racebred heritage but I've heard many good things about ISC Racing and the products their produce as well, so it is also a reputable company*

Should I go with the Racing Beat/Mazdatrix plate for $50:

Or the ISC Racing oil pan (entire oil pan & baffling) for $95:

by the looks of it, these 2 would differ in these ways:
- the RB/Mazdatrix plate covers more area but is higher up on the pan. The greater coverage would result in better settling of the oil (more surface area = greater reduction of air bubbles) but because of its greater height it may have more room for oil movement (possibly resulting in bubbles created UNDER the baffle from sloshing)

- the ISC Racing pan baffling is lower and would result in less oil bubbling underneath the baffles but it covers less area, though the areas it does cover seem to be the crucial points. I am quite sure the long-straight side of the pan (leftward side of picture) is facing the front of the car, with that layout, the ISC Racing pan has baffling on the left & right sides which focuses more on the major left-right movements of a car taking turns.
- ISC Racing provides me with an extra oil pan.

so what do you guys think? Would getting BOTH the baffle plate AND baffled pan even be an option? Would it be overkill or have unforeseen negative effects, like overly prolonged oil return from so much baffling?

I hope to be attending both autox & open lapping days.

The best conclusion I can come up with is that the Racing Beat/Mazdatrix baffle will be better for autox since the turns are tighter and there are more of them...there would be more oil sloshing so the larger surface area would clear the air bubbles better.
And the ISC Racing pan is geared for tracks since the turns at most tracks are not as tight and closely arranged as an autox.
Not sure how accurate that is...so tell me what you think!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Which oil pan baffling design would be better??? (REFLUX)

Either way I'd rather have a brand new pan.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:47 AM

I'm thinking that as well but if the Racing Beat/Mazdatrix design is significantly better...I'd rather go with that
Old 03-10-2004, 09:49 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (REFLUX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by REFLUX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the Racing Beat/Mazdatrix design is significantly better...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont see how a band-aid fix is better than a solution.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I dont see how a band-aid fix is better than a solution.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahh, so you're saying a baffle plate is not really true oilpan baffling?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Re: (REFLUX)

As I understand it the Mazdatrix piece is only intended to get the bubbles out of the oil before it gets back into the pan, not help keep it near the pickup. I ran my '86 in stock class autox and track schools for four years and never saw any oil pressure problems. I did have to disconnect the oil level sensor since it went off constantly, even with the oil full.

The pan is fairly shallow and rather square, so I would be inclined to try the baffled pan if running full slicks in a Production car. I don't know what the IT guys run though.