Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

The Official Formula 1 2017 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2017 Season Thread

Originally Posted by 1158
If the PU is awesome but the chassis is **** I think McLaren would still throw Honda under the bus and there would be limited scope for Honda to prove the PU was sound until they start supplying another team.
It might only be an NBCsports thing, but it seems like in recent years, live coverage makes a bigger deal of the teams trap speeds at the end of the longest straight. I think a lot of people would see through McLarens story if they were blaming Honda while all the fans were being shown the speed at the end of the straights had leveled out.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:49 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

let's wait til they can run more than 11 laps consecutively before pointing fingers
Old 03-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyout
It might only be an NBCsports thing, but it seems like in recent years, live coverage makes a bigger deal of the teams trap speeds at the end of the longest straight. I think a lot of people would see through McLarens story if they were blaming Honda while all the fans were being shown the speed at the end of the straights had leveled out.
Maybe or maybe McLaren would say they had downforce turned down to help with performance. I don't think the Honda PU was as bad in 2016 as was made out to be. It wasn't anything great but I think it was closer to Renault than people think, especially late in the season. Hopefully Honda get to the point where they have plenty of power. Lost in all of this is the fact that McLaren hasn't allowed Honda to supply another team which could only be helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by falcongsr
let's wait til they can run more than 11 laps consecutively before pointing fingers
and at full power
Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

All options on the table for Honda fix - McLaren
Date:
Monday, 20 March 2017
By Chris Medland / Images by LAT

McLaren executive director Zak Brown says all options are on the table in terms of finding a short-term fix to its current problems with power unit partners Honda.

Having expected to make a step forward over the winter, Honda suffered a number of reliability problems during pre-season testing while also failing to deliver outright performance. McLaren ended testing with the lowest mileage of any team and a clear deficit to its rivals, leading the team to sound out the possibility of a power unit deal with Mercedes.

As any contact with Mercedes was only informal in nature, Brown says the focus is on finding a lasting solution with Honda but admits McLaren needs a quick fix.

McLaren-Honda's Zak Brown"Our communications are with Honda and we're trying to figure out with Honda what's the best long-term strategy but also we need some short-term results," Brown told RACER during an exclusive interview. "So I'm going to keep our solutions that we're working on with Honda to ourselves – we're going to be a good partner to them and work through the various scenarios. But we need to fix our situation quickly, so we're looking at all the different ways to do that."Asked if the investment Honda has made in McLaren makes it harder to consider a switch to a different power unit supplier, Brown replied: "100%.

"They're great partners and great people. They'll get this right, we just need to do it as quickly as possible and explore all the different ways in which we can be as competitive as possible. Because we're very loyal to Honda but we have other partners who are expecting results, so we need to take care of our Honda partnership but we also need to take care of our Chandons, NTTs, Johnnie Walkers and SAPs of the world. They want some results."

Despite the current problems being faced by McLaren-Honda, Brown insists the partnership is still the right way for the team to achieve its target of winning the world championship again.

"Well, we want to win races, but we want to win races with Honda. I think the decision to go with Honda – which was pre-my time – was the right decision. I think at the end of the day you have to be a works team to win championships. Maybe not races – the other engines out there are very good and there are teams out there who are running at the front with customer engines.

"We've got a long history with Honda, they're spending what it takes, they're committed, so they're the right partner. We've just got a technical glitch that we need to work through very, very quickly."

from

F1 Racing News | Racer.com - All options on the table for Honda fix - McLaren
Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

@esteban - Some friends and I are considering traveling down for the Austin GP in lieu of Montreal this year.

Question - Do they let you walk around the circuit with insulated backpacks full of beer, as in Canadia? This is a heavily weighted factor in our decision matrix.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Prohibited Items - Circuit of the Americas

The following items will not be permitted inside the gates of Circuit of The Americas during major sports and entertainment events. In addition to items specifically listed here, other items that may be deemed to present a potential hindrance or threat may also be prohibited.
Alcoholic Beverages
Animals (exception for certified service animals)
Aerosol cans
Bags or parcels larger than 12X12X20 inches
Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, Segways, golf carts or other unauthorized means of transportation
Coolers, thermoses or ice chests
Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
Drones
Food and Beverage (Note: sealed, individual, plastic bottles of water are allowed – one per person)
Fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices
Glass or metal containers of any style
Illegal substances
Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to participants or guests (*****, Frisbees, balloons, projectiles, horns, radios, bells, whistles, musical instruments, laser pointers, etc.)
Large, golf-type umbrellas
Non-collapsible chairs
Selfie Sticks
Tents or canopies
Video cameras, audio recording devices and tripods/bipods/monopods; no video recording will be allowed
Weapons of any kind, including guns, knives, pepper spray, handcuffs, nightsticks or other items
The following items will not be permitted in the Standing Room Only Music Upgrade and VIP areas during the Taylor Swift and Usher & The Roots concerts
Backpacks
Cameras with detachable lenses (point and shoot only)
Flags larger than 11X17
Flag poles
Posters larger than 11X17 (posters larger than this size will not be permitted in the general admission lawn or upgrade areas)
The following items will be permitted inside the circuit gates.
Backpacks
Binoculars
Blankets
Camelbacks (must be empty)
Umbrellas (small, hand-held style)
Baby strollers
One 20 oz. factory sealed water bottle per guest
Portable, collapsible chairs
Personal camera equipment (e.g. digital cameras, point-and-click digital cameras or film cameras)
Small, personal umbrellas
Sunscreen (plastic bottle only, no aerosol cans)

NOTE: All bags, purses and backpacks will be screened and persons will be scanned by security personnel. Fans without bags are encouraged to use our “No Bag Lanes” to expedite the process. Guests entering Circuit of The Americas should prepare accordingly.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder how hard F1 cracks down on personal video taken with a phone or digital camera and uploaded to YouTube. Zuffa (former UFC owners) had all my personal clips from UFC events removed from YouTube.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Outrun
I wonder how hard F1 cracks down on personal video taken with a phone or digital camera and uploaded to YouTube. Zuffa (former UFC owners) had all my personal clips from UFC events removed from YouTube.
I've always been able to find fan F1 videos on Youtube but the official broadcast stuff is usually pulled p quick.

Last edited by 1158; 03-20-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...ogress-884256/

As well as focusing on the cause of its reliability dramas in testing, Honda has spent considerable focus on improving its engine mapping for the start of the season.

It is understood that problems with the mapping were the root cause of the vibrations that led to some of the issues in Barcelona testing.
This sounds somewhat promising. Now I wonder how true it is...
Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I foresee nothing but issues and lack luster performance from McHonda this year. WAY too late in the game for all the issues they have been having so far, and with no in season testing like days past, they are stuck in the mud till next season. Gonna be another year of catch up and too little too late.

The battle between Ferrari and Merc looks like it's gonna be really interesting this year though. And whats the news on the other teams? Does it look like a strong sophomore year from Haas? You guys are my only source of F1 info lol.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Haas appears to be making good progress for a 2nd year team but I still see them struggling to keep pace with the mid-field teams. That said, I think their partnership with Ferrari has really suited them well.

I'm keeping a close eye on the Red Bulls. Newey has new aero regs to play with and Dannyboy will be looking to make a good showing down in Melbourne. I'm finally getting excited for this season to start!!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

This sounds somewhat promising. Now I wonder how true it is...
If the news came from McLaren it is most definitely Fake News

Originally Posted by 93allmotorcoupe
I'm finally getting excited for this season to start!!
The excriment will soon fade
Old 03-21-2017, 06:08 AM
What is this crap?

oh hey there's a race this weekend remind me to get excited on sunday
Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hungrygreen_gsr
I foresee nothing but issues and lack luster performance from McHonda this year. WAY too late in the game for all the issues they have been having so far, and with no in season testing like days past, they are stuck in the mud till next season. Gonna be another year of catch up and too little too late.
I wonder about this. It could be that they were using mapping from a moar advanced PU than the 1 put in the car to test. It was stated that Honda had a version 0.8, and 0.9 for testing with 1.0 and possibly 1.1 to be used in AUS. Oh and there are 2 in seasons tests this year but more than that, I think Honda may have to use the early season races as test sessions. They can change almost whatever they want on the PU at this point so a very valid approach could be a new updated PU at every race for the first half of the season (who cares about grid place penalties if you aren't gonna finish or be competitive) with progress moving forward quite rapidly. As I said, I'm not going to stick a fork in them until we get to the European season. If they are not completing race distances while being competitive with the mid field by then I'll agree with you 100%. Until then there is a lot Honda could learn and get working on what is basically a brand new PU incorporating several concepts they have not yet tried.

Too late, Junior.

Sat night
Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim2179
If the news came from McLaren it is most definitely Fake News
Rumor is the CNN sponsorship deal stipulates CNN has their newsmakeruppers embedded with the McLaren PR department.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sauber says they'll be last place team this season. Not thinking like champions.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Outrun
Sauber says they'll be last place team this season. Not thinking like champions.
That's an achievable target. I hope they succeed.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 AM

Ferrari will win the first 5 races and by then we will hear how Ferrari's dominance is bad for the sport.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 AM
What is this crap?

Too late, Junior.

Sat night
i might watch the start to see ALO retire but i won't be staying up for the whole shebang
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ferrari will win the first 5 races and by then we will hear how Ferrari's dominance is bad for the sport.
That's only gonna happen if Merc show up at the wrong track 5 times in a row. I want Ferrari to be there but I think Merc still gonna have at least 5 tenths on erryone. - I'd gladly eat those words
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 AM

The Banville Hillclimb

Back in the good old days of motor racing they used to have Grands Prix for all kinds of things. The opening of the Montlhery race track in 1924 was celebrated by with a Grand Prix de l'Ouverture and each year the Paris Automobile Salon boasted a Grand Prix du Salon. The tradition continued until after World War II when France's first autoroute opened at St. Cloud in 1946 and a race was held in celebration.

But probably the strangest event of all in that era was at the opening of the Banville Garage in Paris.

The Banville was the world's first multi-storey car park.

But it was no ordinary garage.

It was the 1920s and the generation who had survived World War I wanted to live life to the full. Everything seemed to be changing. Flying had arrived and automobile ownership was growing, social conventions were breaking down and fashion was the thing.

And with the new golden age came new ideas and new architecture.

It was in this environment that a group of wealthy Frenchman, several of whom had been fighter pilots in the war, got together with the idea of building a garage where the wealthy could park their exquisite luxury cars. Shares were sold and enough money was raised for land to be bought and for the construction of the Banville Garage (the name being chosen as it was located at the end of the rue Theodore de Banville in the 17eme arrondisement of Paris).

There were two floors beneath the ground and five floors above, linked by a curling ramp. Each car had its own cage (which were rented from the corporation). On the ground floor was a large exhibition hall and showroom, where the latest luxury cars were sold and downstairs was a service department.

The sixth floor of the Banville Garage was what made it extraordinary because, in addition to an outdoor putting green, there were three indoor tennis courts, a gymnasium - and a restaurant.

Plans for a swimming pool were abandoned because of the costs involved.

When it opened in 1927 the Banville needed publicity.

The company was fortunate that the new World Champion Robert Benoist, who had dominated the 1927 season with Delage, was out of work because Louis Delage had run into financial trouble and had to close his competition department. None of the big car companies were going racing. Benoist was out of work. The Banville Garage was not quite Grand Prix racing but Benoist had little choice. He became the sales manager.

Benoist and one of the Banville gang Christian Dauvergne came up with an unusual plan to get publicity, reckoning that holding a hillclimb inside the garage would draw considerable attention. In total the elegant sweeping ramps were 600 meters in length from the ground to the roof. Benoist and Dauvergne drummed up 15 cars to take part. A section of the track ran across the roof and to protect the drivers it was decided that there would be walls of sandbags.

The cars involved were all sporting models and were driven by some of the big names of the day, friends of Benoist and Dauvergne.

We will never know who won the Banville hillclimb because it was decided that the times would not be recorded to stop the competitive urges of those involved getting the better of them.

It was a long drop from the roof to the street below.

The plan was a great success. The Banville Garage flourished. It survived the Great Depression. It survived the war despite the fact that the Germans requisitioned 26 luxury cars as Paris was falling in 1944. Things were not helped when the Resistance arrived and requisitioned a further 43!

For a while the Americans set up a typing pool in the Exhibition Hall but in 1946 Banville went back to its old business again. Success brought expansion. The company bought a string of garages around France. Eventually, in 1986, the Banville company fell victim to a leveraged buyout. The new owners had worked out how to make more money from the site.

The Banville was closed down and rebuilt as an office block...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Was invited to the Grand Prix of Long Beach by LaSalle Solutions, sponsor of the TRG Aston Martin World Challenge team. Free ticket/pit pass/etc for whole weekend but I have to attend presentations throughout the weekend. I wonder if I can play hooky on those.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My fortitude of the testicular variety just shrank looking at the people sitting on the rail with the street far below.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM
What is this crap?

it's ok, none of the people that fell went on to be anyones' ancestors.

Quick Reply: The Official Formula 1 2017 Season Thread