Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread

<FONT COLOR="blue"><FONT SIZE="5">Welcome to the Infamous Honda-Tech Formula 1 thread for the 2008 season.</FONT></FONT>

This season, we’re in for a ride. There are a lot of changes from what was expected this season was going to be like, a large volume of personnel shifts, still no 12th team because customer cars are not allowed, the “Minardi” team has once again changed hands, and (as of this post) for the first time in 16 years, there will not be a Schumacher driving in the field. Last season, we had every emotion possible, some caused by drivers, some caused by engineers, and others caused by the weather. After all of that, I don’t think anyone has any predictions because ’07 was just too crazy.

This seasons schedule will once again kick off in Australia, but even the ’08 schedule has been touched by the curse of the ’07 season. Some assumed that the US could have two Grand Prix’s this season with a possible road race in Las Vegas, and now, there isn’t even going to be a USGP. On top of that, who would have thought that Formula One could have a night race, and now Singapore will host the very first one, on a street circuit none the less!

The 2008 Calendar 9 months and 18 Events
March 16th -Melbourne, Australian Grand Prix
March 23rd -Sepang, Malaysian Grand Prix
April 6th -Sakhir, Grand Prix of Bahrain
April 27th -Barcelona, Spanish Grand Prix
May 11th -Istanbul, Turkish Grand Prix
May 25th -Monaco, Grand Prix of Monaco
June 8th -Montreal, Canadian Grand Prix
June 22nd -Magny-Cours, French Grand Prix
July 6th -Silverstone, British Grand Prix
July 20th -Hockenheim, German Grand Prix
August 3rd -Hungaroring, Hungarian Grand Prix
August 24th -Valencia, European Grand Prix
September 7th -Spa-Francorchamps, Belgian Grand Prix
September 14th -Monza, Italian Grand Prix
September 28th -Singapore, Singapore Grand Prix
October 12th -Fuji Speedway, Japanese Grand Prix
October 19th -Shanghai, Chinese Grand Prix
November 2nd -Interlagos, Brazilian Grand Prix

Related Sites
Formula 1 Official Website
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/
http://www.itv-f1.com
http://www.dailyf1news.com
http://www.planetf1.com
http://www.speedtv.com
http://www.f1racing.net
http://www.grandprix.com
http://www.autosport.com

2008 Teams (Chassis-Engine) and Drivers (In order by 2007 team ranking, * indicates Rookie)
Ferrari
-Kimi Raikkonen
-Felipe Massa

BMW Sauber
-Nick Heidfeld
-Robert Kubica

Renault
-Fernando Alonso
-Nelson Piquet Jr.*

Williams-Toyota
-Nico Rosberg
-Kazuki Nakajima*

Red Bull-Renault
-David Coulthard
-Mark Webber

Toyota
-Jarno Trulli
-Timo Glock*

Toro Rosso-Ferrari
-Sebastian Bourdais*
-Sebastian Vettel

Honda
-Jensen Button
-Rubens Barrichello

Super Aguri-Honda
-Takuma Sato
-Anthony Davidson

McLaren-Mercedes
-Lewis Hamilton
-Heikki Kovalainen

Force India F1-Ferrari*
-Adrian Sutil
-Giancarlo Fisichella

<FONT SIZE="4">Interesting 2008 Sporting and Technical Regulations</FONT>
NOTE: All information regarding the following regulations were sourced from the FIA websites posted Sporting and Technical Regulations which have been previously hyperlinked above.

<FONT COLOR="red">Some of these regulations were in fact, in place for the previous season, and as they're discovered, they will be modified to represent so. Please feel free to contact me, and help me keep these "interesting regulations for '08" accurate and understandable in all shapes and forms.</FONT>

<FONT SIZE="3">Bodywork and Dimensions</FONT>
What’s the skinny?:
-Article 3.3; The overall width of the car, including complete wheels, must not exceed 1800mm (previously 2000mm) with the steered wheels in the straight ahead position. Overall width will be measured when the car is fitted with tires inflated to 1.4 bar.
-Article 3.4.1; Bodywork width ahead of the rear wheel center line must not exceed 1400mm. (previously 1600mm)
These regulations were in effect in 2007.

An effort to stop cut tires:
-Article 3.4.2; The top and forward edges of the lateral extremities of any bodywork forward of the front wheels must be at least 10mm thick with a radius of at least 5mm. Providing it is include at an angle less than 60 degrees to the car center line, the forward edge of any horizontal part of the bodywork in these areas need not comply with these requirements.
This regulation was in effect in 2007.

Effort to control the spread of debris on track:
-Article 3.4.3; The outer skins of the front wing endplates and any turning vanes in the vicinity of the front wheels (and any similarly vulnerable bodywork parts in this area), must be made predominantly from materials which are included for the specific purpose of containing debris. The FIA must be satisfied that all such parts are constructed in order to achieve the stated objective.

A little more skinny:
-Article 3.5.1; Overall bodywork width behind the rear wheel center line must not exceed 1000mm. (previously 2000mm!)

Getting short:
-Article 3.6; No part of the bodywork may be more than 950mm above the reference plane. (previously 970mm)

<FONT SIZE="3">Weight</FONT>
Wait a tick, I thought you were getting skinnier!:
-Article 4.1; The weight of the car must not be less than 605kg at all times during the Event. (previously 550kg)

<FONT SIZE="3">Engine</FONT>
Oh my, I can fix stuff!?!
-Article 5.17; The following parts are not part of the homologated engine and may be changed without penalty: Clutch, Clutch basket, Throttle actuator, hydraulics and mechanical linkage, Trumpet tray, Hydraulic pumps, Ignition coils, Injection system, Engine electronic boxes (ECU’s, power modules, control boxes), Alternators, Fuel filters, Fuel pumps, Oil filters, Oil tank systems, Oil scavenging pumps, Oil supply pumps, Oil air separators, Water pumps, Pneumatic bottles, regulators, pumps and pipes for valve actuation, Exhaust systems, Electronic sensors, Cables, Hoses, Screws related to the auxiliaries mentioned above, Electrical looms, and Spark plugs.

<FONT SIZE="3">Clutch Control</FONT>
Sorry Renault, no more ripping starts
-Article 9.2.4; Designs or systems which in addition to typical inherent hydraulic and mechanical properties are designed to, or have the effect of, adjusting or otherwise influencing the amount, or rate, of engagement being demanded by the FIA ECU, are not permitted.
This regulation is new for 2008.

<FONT SIZE="3">Traction Control</FONT>
Massa better hope it doesn’t rain!
-Article 9.3; No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power or of compensating for excessive throttle demand by the driver. Any device or system which notifies the driver of the onset of wheel spin is not permitted.

<FONT SIZE="3">Clutch Disengagement</FONT>
Let’s actually get that “N” button to work:
-Article 9.4; All cars must be fitted with a means of disengaging the clutch for a minimum of fifteen minutes in the event of the car coming to rest with the engine stopped. This system must be in working order throughout the Event even if the main hydraulic, pneumatic or electrical systems on the car have failed.

<FONT SIZE="3">Gearboxes </FONT>
Sporting Regulation 87a: Each driver may use no more than one gearbox for four consecutive Events in which his team competes. Should a driver use a replacement gearbox he will he will drop five places on the starting grid at that Event each time a further gearbox is used.

<FONT SIZE="3">Gear Ratios</FONT>
No fancy materials or dinky little gears:
-Article 9.6.2; No forward gear ration pair may be less than 12mm wide, less than 85mm between centers, and less than 600g in weight.
-Article 9.6.3; Gear ratios must be made from steel.
These regulations are new for 2008.

<FONT SIZE="3">Reverse Gear</FONT>
Hey, I can back up!!!!
-Article 9.7; All cars must have a reverse gear operable any time during the Event by the driver when the engine is running.

<FONT SIZE="3">Torque Transfer Systems</FONT>
No soup for you:
-Articles 9.8.1 and 9.8.2; Don’t bother, it’s not allowed in any way, shape, or form so stop asking.

<FONT SIZE="3">Brake System</FONT>
Let me get this straight. Not only do you want me to put on some poundage, you want me to shrink the disks too!?!
-Article 11.3.2; All discs must have a maximum thickness of 28mm and a maximum outside diameter of 278mm. (previously 28mm / 300mm) That’s 11 inch brakes people!

<FONT SIZE="3">Wheels and Tires</FONT>
Oh that’s just great! You’re gonna make me fat, shrink my discs, AND shrink my wheels!?! Why don’t you just require me to haul an elephant around the track!?!
-Article 12.4.1; Complete wheel width must lie between 305 and 355mm (previously 345 and 365mm) when fitted to the front of the car and between 365 and 380mm (previously 440 and 460mm) when fitted to the rear.

Sittin’ on dubs
-Article 12.4.2; Complete wheel diameter must not exceed 660mm (previously 640mm) when fitted with dry-weather tires or 670mm (previously 710mm) when fitted with wet-weather tires.

Woohoo, look at those sidewalls!
-Article 12.4.4; Wheel bead diameter must lie between 328 and 332mm (previously 354 and 358mm)

<FONT SIZE="3">Supply of Tires</FONT>
Hey now, without these blankets, the tire guy’s gonna be bored!
-Article 12.5.1; All tyres must be used as supplied by the manufacturer, any modification or treatment such as cutting, grooving. This applies to dry, wet and extreme-weather tyres.
This regulation is new for 2008. Pre-heating part has been removed.

<FONT SIZE="3">Specification of Tires</FONT>
Man, you’ve got a sole supplier, why can’t we lose these hideous grooves?
-Article 12.6.2; Each front dry-weather tire, when new, must incorporate 4 grooves….furthermore, the tread width of the front tires must not exceed 270mm.
-Article 12.6.3; Each rear dry-weather tire, when new, must incorporate 4 grooves.
These regulations are new for 2008.

At least I get a say in something!
-Article 12.6.6; Tire specifications will be determined by the FIA no later than 1 September of the previous season. Once determined in this way, the specification of the tires will not be changed during the Championship season without the agreement of all competing teams.

<FONT SIZE="3">Survival Cell Specifications</FONT>
Oh I see, you made me heavier, shrunk my wheels and brakes, made my tires less grippy and smaller, because I’m gonna be surrounded by armor!
-Article 15.4.7; “Add 16 layers of Zylon and 2 layers of carbon at least 6.2mm thick after you build the cell to 2007 specs.”

<FONT SIZE="3">Impact Testing</FONT>
Crash dummies get to have all the fun!
-Article 16.2; Frontal test…velocity impact of 15 meters/second (previously 14m/s)….peak deceleration over the first 60kJ energy absorption will not exceed 20g, average peak deceleration will not exceed 10g (previously 5g)

My back and my masseuse thank you:
-Article 16.4; Rear test….velocity impact of 11 meters/second (previously 15 m/s)….peak deceleration over the first 225mm of deformation does not exceed 20g (previously average not above 40g)….maximum deceleration does not exceed 20g (previously 60g) for more than 15ms.

<FONT SIZE="3">Location and fitting of camera equipment</FONT>
Honda’s areo team thanks you, they need all the help they can get
-Article 20.3.1; All cars must be equipped with five positions (down from 6)

Ever wonder what it’s like to look in a wiggling mirror at 300kph?
-Drawing 6; Camera locations are:
1 the mirrors facing rearward
2 above the front wing on the side of the nose
3 on the left and right side of the air box level with the intake
4 the traditional spot above the air box
5 on top of the car just in front of the windscreen

<FONT SIZE="3">Qualifying </FONT>
Back of the grid instead of a 10 spot penalty for engine changes:
-Sporting Regulation 86c; Should a driver use a replacement engine after the qualifying practice session he will be required to start the relevant race from the back of the starting grid in accordance with Article 130.

No more fuel burn off periods in Q3:
-Sporting Regulation 115c; From 14.45 to 15.00 (Q3) the ten remaining cars will be permitted on the track.

And with all that said, all the excitement and thoughts of what 2008 will bring us obsessive fans, only 120 days, 3 hours, and 22 minutes to the next GP!

Modified by Spade at 10:58 AM 1/10/2008
Old 11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread (Spade)

Kimi FTW!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread (Targa250R)

Anyone have a countdown timer to the first race???

I hate the off season!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone have a countdown timer to the first race???

I hate the off season!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read the 1st post you jackass.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kimi FTW
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 PM
shit post warrior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread (Tadehi)

Kimi is the reigning champ but Hami in '08, FTMFW!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:59 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread (ITRbroham)

Toast to the new season
Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Read the 1st post you jackass.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

No...need one of those running countdown clocks!

JACKASS!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:14 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting points:

- wheels are now 13x14/15" instead of 14x14.5/18"
- no tire blankets
- no active diffs
- narrowed to 70.8 inches from 78.7 (lame!)
- highest point of car must be under 37.4 inches
- busted gearbox penalty = good
- David Richards is a moron
- Bernie Ecclestone is an assbag
- Toyota sucks
- still no slicks
- still no electric start
Old 11-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interesting points:

- wheels are now 13x14/15" instead of 14x14.5/18"
- no tire blankets
- no active diffs
- narrowed to 70.8 inches from 78.7 (lame!)
- highest point of car must be under 37.4 inches
- busted gearbox penalty = good
- David Richards is a moron
- Bernie Ecclestone is an assbag
- Toyota sucks
- still no slicks
- still no electric start </TD></TR></TABLE>

No tire blankets? Lame!

I loved the little Honda bit.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:02 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cold tires and no traction control ftw
Old 11-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cheers to 2008.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are my 08 gripes:

1. Increased weight requirement with overall car demensions and components smaller. With the freeze on engines (other main weight contributor) where is the weight going to be added. Are the cars going to be ballasted?

2. Tire blankets: How will the absence of them affect the break-in and performance of the tires? Can we expect more graining since the tires will start the formation lap cold, heat during, cool on the grid, and then get superheated.

PS Kimi for 08 DC.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:37 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

I can still remember where I was the moment the '08 thread came to be.

Great 1st post. Well done!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread (georgiajdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by georgiajdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here are my 08 gripes:

1. Increased weight requirement with overall car demensions and components smaller. With the freeze on engines (other main weight contributor) where is the weight going to be added. Are the cars going to be ballasted?

2. Tire blankets: How will the absence of them affect the break-in and performance of the tires? Can we expect more graining since the tires will start the formation lap cold, heat during, cool on the grid, and then get superheated.

PS Kimi for 08 DC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. They already use a lot of ballast in the cars. Honda claimed in 2005 that without the ballast weight, the car would be less than 410kgs! That's a whole 140kg of ballast and driver weight to shift around and play with for balancing.

2. The lack of pre-heating the tires will be pretty much that, slippery, easy to grain/over drive initially, and really fun laps in qualifying and the beginning of the race.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can still remember where I was the moment the '08 thread came to be.

Great 1st post. Well done! </TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA and thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yehhhhh 2008.....
Old 11-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread (falcongsr)

oh baby I can't wait for next season as it is going to be one long off season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Very informative first post Spade, good lookin

Here is to another crazy season
Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread (DaveSi677)

I am kinda sad that you didn't put the previous constructors and drivers standings

1. Ferrari 204
2. BMW 101
3. Renault 51
4. Williams-Toyota 33
5. Red Bull-Renault 24
6. Toyota 13
7. STR-Ferrari 8
8. Honda 6
9. Super Aguri Honda 4
10. Spyker-Ferrari 1
- McLaren-Mercedes Stripped of points

etc.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am kinda sad that you didn't put the previous constructors and drivers standings</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you not see that I listed the teams in that order, and stated it was their finishing place?

I will also add that this is now supposed to be a discussion about '08, so no team has any points currently.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Painting Masterpieces

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn Spade. Way to start off a thread!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone have a countdown timer to the first race???</TD></TR></TABLE>

119 DAYS, 23 HOURS, 2 MINUTES AND 6 SECONDS BEFORE THE AUSTRALIAN GP

Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Schumacher '10 WDC

[QUOTE=Spade][QUOTE=Tadehi]I am kinda sad that you didn't put the previous constructors and drivers standings<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did you not see that I listed the teams in that order, and stated it was their finishing place?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I missed that sorry.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tadehi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah I missed that sorry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fricken Ferrari lovers always need to point out that their team had a 100 point lead at the end of the season. LoL.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I found something quite interesting....everyone knows all of the changes that are happening F1. I just stumbled upon the 2006 Survey results, if you guys get a chance, you should read through them. FOM is really following what the survey results stated/requested.

More telemetry, less driver aids, more on track competition (at least attempts at it), etc....it's all there in the survey results, and if you compare what we've been seeing over the past two years....I think they're actually doing it!
http://www.fia.com/public/fia_...s.htm
Old 11-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How can you possibly have:

Article 9.3; No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power

and:

Article 11.3.2; All discs must have a maximum thickness of 28mm and a maximum outside diameter of 278mm.

The brakes are a device "capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power" right?

Quick Reply: The Official Formula 1 2008 Season Thread