Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Nor-Cal Time Trials

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nor-Cal Time Trials

I know a lot of you in this forum race. But if your doing HPDE's or other track days and would like to step it up a notch without going to full wheel to wheel racing then

<U> Come out and join in the fun….NASA Time Trials </U>

If you are among NASA’s most experienced HPDE drivers and would like to add a new dimension to your driving, try NASA TT. “This is the best new thing to do with my car that I have seen for a very long time. It’s a great idea and a natural extension of the HPDE program”. Quote from a HPDE 4 driver.

The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to introduce a new time trial program that will be known as “NASA TT”. NASA TT uses the car classing system developed by NASA Northeast for the NASA-X program and is based on a simple and easy to understand format. NASA TT gives HPDE drivers a taste of competition by allowing them to compete for top lap times at NASA events against similarly prepared cars.

NASA Time Trial in an auto competition series focused on time trail style competition it’s purpose being to provide for spirited on-track competition with a high degree of both safety and convenience and allows qualified individuals to compete in a “best lap” format in a prepared car and bridges the gap between HPDE and wheel-to-wheel racing.

“This should be a great way for our experienced HPDE drivers to compete against each other safely and try out the thrill of racing”, said Ryan Flaherty NASA National Chairman, “This program now gives us a full spectrum of competition formats and a great pathway from Autocross to wheel-to-wheel competition. This group is for the most experienced drivers pretty much ready to race but don’t want to make the jump or spend the time or money”.

In the NorCal Region, TT runs with HPDE 4. That means unlimited (anything safe) passing. There really is not much difference between this and racing except that the cars are usually less modified, there is no "start" and you are not racing another car for position. NASA TT participants on track conduct will be governed by HPDE Group 4 rules (see section 7 of the TT Rules). Car classification and Time Trial rules are posted on the NASA web site.

So buy or rent a transponder, classify your car and sign up for Group 4 TT at the next event. We will compete for championship points by class. The most fun is seeing the results of improved driving in your lap times. Take an instructor out with you then see how his coaching has impacted your times. Try a new line on that corner that has been giving you trouble and get quantifiable evidence in the form of lap times.

Contact Steve Lock (TTE) at steve.lock@wdc.com for more information. Come to Infineon Raceway in February and start building points toward the season championship. Participation will be key to the championship, as all points from events offered minus 2 will count. Make plans now to make as many events as you can.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nor-Cal Time Trials (95tegLSS)

FYI. NASA OH/IN said they would most likely be doing this at every event they host this year also.

I think NASA VA will be doing this at hyper-fest events. They did last year, so I think they might do it again.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95tegLSS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In the NorCal Region, TT runs with HPDE 4. That means unlimited (anything safe) passing. There really is not much difference between this and racing except that the cars are usually less modified, there is no "start" and you are not racing another car for position. NASA TT participants on track conduct will be governed by HPDE Group 4 rules (see section 7 of the TT Rules).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is pretty much why i have a problem with running nasa norcal HPDE 4. especially now that you add the real competitive aspect of running in a HPDE group, they still expect no contact, no offs, totally civil conduct. which i just personally think is unreasonable. the one time i did nasa norcal HPDE 4 albert butterfield would chew anyone's head off if there was any incident and saying stuff like you guys are so lucky that we can offer this without rollbars and safety equipment and whatnot. that just doesnt make sense to me. i mean if you offer free passing and especially now competitive driving, ***** gonna happen. thats just my opinion. im not trying to damage the efforts of nasa to offer the "full spectrum" of driving. i just dont like it, and i wont drive in it, but im not telling anyone else not to either.

now i know the flip side opinion is that the group may be kept small enough that there should be a decent amount of space between cars and everyone is experienced drivers to be allowed in group 4 already so chances of incidents are minimized. ok.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:14 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nor-Cal Time Trials (Tyson)

Tyson,
There is more to the TT portion than Brian is writing. IIRC, the TT drivers ran a seperate group.

Drivers are being watched more closely before being moved up the ranks.

In addition, NASA NorCal has severly tightened up the tech inspections. Thats right, there is a 'new sheriff in town' for NASA tech. Cars are scrutinized every event & if not compliant, not allowed to run.

added in edit: all new stuff since I last saw you @ a NASA event. PS I still have your chair in my trailer.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nor-Cal Time Trials (civicrr)

well, im glad to hear things are changing. i should have noted my experience running in group 4 was back in spring of 2002, a while ago. but still, im a bit wary of combining an HPDE group and competition. but i guess theres really no other way of doing it without dedicating 1 solo lap per car which is not really time effective.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, im glad to hear things are changing. i should have noted my experience running in group 4 was back in spring of 2002, a while ago. but still, im a bit wary of combining an HPDE group and competition. but i guess theres really no other way of doing it without dedicating 1 solo lap per car which is not really time effective.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand your concern. I have been driving in HPDE4 for a few months now. I would have to say from what I have seen the group as a whole is a very good group. Most of them make clean safe passes, and are courtius to faster cars. Like mike said, they are cracking down in tech inspections and are cracking down on track conduct. This is something that NASA is offering, and if people respect what NASA is trying to do there should be no problems.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"cracking down" and enforcing anything more really isnt the point tho. im saying, even amongst the most experienced drivers, competition is going to lead ppl to take risks or alter judgement. but i hope the best for the TT program. im all for encouraging more racing and providing different strokes for different folks, just as long as its reasonable. quite frankly, i dont consider cars at racing speed making open passes with minimal requirements of a helmet and rollbar for convertibles and nothing else as all that reasonable. but as said, thats just my opinion, and shouldnt be taken for anything more. i certainly dont mean to say its even a "well informed" opinion.

Modified by Tyson at 10:46 AM 12/19/2003
Old 12-19-2003, 09:33 AM
.RJ

IMO, if open passing with timed laps is going to be allowed, safety gear should be required.