Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

NASA HC H4 Build-- New LS Motor Maint. Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NASA HC H4 Build-- New LS Motor Maint. Opinions Needed

All,

Just bought a 1998 Acura Integra with 160k miles on it. Want to take the motor out and put it in my 93 Civic Coupe which is slowly being converted to a Honda Challenge Car. Car will hopefully be running in H4 if my friends stay in the class for more than a year. Trying to build it up now.

What parts should I buy while the motor is out/what should I be looking at?

So far I have:

1.) Baffled oil pan
2.) Water pump
3.) Timing belt
4.) Cam seals
5.) Main seals
6.) Cam seals
7.) Valve cover gasket
8.) Axle seals
9.) Oil pan gasket

Optional:
1.) Type-R oil pump (how necessary)?
2.) Clutch
3.) Lightweight flywheel

Thanks all
Old 08-13-2017, 02:40 PM

Default Re: NASA HC H4 Build-- New LS Motor Maint. Opinions Needed

seriously......don't post on every forum.....

GOOGLE.....

this info has been covered.....ALOT

chad
Old 08-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K

Dillon
Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not positive how necessary these would be for a H4 car, but an external oil cooler and an accusump might be good to have also. Not sure if you're going with a half or full width radiator. PS - I'm not sure what the Honda Challenge car counts will be in your region, but if the car counts are too low, then maybe your car would fit into ST5, ST6, PT5, or PT6 (first sticky post in nasaforums.com ? View forum - ST/SU) if they get those going next year. - Jim
Old 08-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid
I'm not positive how necessary these would be for a H4 car, but an external oil cooler and an accusump might be good to have also. Not sure if you're going with a half or full width radiator. PS - I'm not sure what the Honda Challenge car counts will be in your region, but if the car counts are too low, then maybe your car would fit into ST5, ST6, PT5, or PT6 (first sticky post in nasaforums.com ? View forum - ST/SU) if they get those going next year. - Jim
I don't think an Accusump on a bone stock LS is really required. Save your money for other things until the car is more developed. I don't even really think an oil cooler is needed on a non-VTEC powered car while you are still developing it. We ran LS motors in our Chump cars and oil temps where totally fine. It wasn't until we went to VTEC engines that the oil temps started to creep up so we got a cooler. LS motors are cheap enough that you can just keep a spare in the garage or even bring one to the track with you if you have the space to bring it.

OP you seem like your off to a good start with what you have. Don't complicate things where not required. Get the safety gear you need, get the motor in the car and get the car on track to start getting seat time.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gramkrackers
I don't think an Accusump on a bone stock LS is really required...
Good info... My only experience has been with a B18C that has an Accusump plus an oil cooler. Just wondering - we added the accusump to help protect the engine for possible dips in oil pressure even with a baffled oil pan, plus adds to the total volume of oil. Would a LS engine not have those possible drops in oil pressure? - Jim
Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wouldn't an engine swap move him out of H4? It's been really long time since I looked at HC regs, but I thought H4 cars had to run the engine they came with, and doing a swap bumped you up to a higher class.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2017 Rules were updated for H4 that allow the b18b to be run in any of chassis specified under H4 @2500lbs.

edit: Not sure if OP has already finished purchasing items, but what about ARP headstuds + new HG. At that mileage I'd swap the oil pump out as well while everything is out.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gramkrackers
I don't think an Accusump on a bone stock LS is really required. Save your money for other things until the car is more developed. I don't even really think an oil cooler is needed on a non-VTEC powered car while you are still developing it. We ran LS motors in our Chump cars and oil temps where totally fine. It wasn't until we went to VTEC engines that the oil temps started to creep up so we got a cooler. LS motors are cheap enough that you can just keep a spare in the garage or even bring one to the track with you if you have the space to bring it.

OP you seem like your off to a good start with what you have. Don't complicate things where not required. Get the safety gear you need, get the motor in the car and get the car on track to start getting seat time.
Thank you for the reply man. Understood!

2017 Rules were updated for H4 that allow the b18b to be run in any of chassis specified under H4 @2500lbs.

edit: Not sure if OP has already finished purchasing items, but what about ARP headstuds + new HG. At that mileage I'd swap the oil pump out as well while everything is out.
#MakeH4GreatAgain

And yeah I got a new HG but I talked to Zephyr and Spencer and they said the stock head bolts are fine to reuse. I did it on my D Series as well and it held for two seasons of abuse. I only DE for now, but next year I'm TT'ing with an H4 setup utnil I get enough $ for a cage.

I got the GSR/Type-R oil pump man. One step ahead of you!

I also am buying a lightweight flywheel and clutch.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

eh i wouldnt risk it on stock headbolts...i say that as i spent all last weekend waiting for my hg to die. i either lifted the head or popped the gasket in cylinder 1 (150psi compression other 3 are 180psi and slight oil in the water)...and I was told the motor was pretty damn fresh when i bought the car.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
eh i wouldnt risk it on stock headbolts...i say that as i spent all last weekend waiting for my hg to die. i either lifted the head or popped the gasket in cylinder 1 (150psi compression other 3 are 180psi and slight oil in the water)...and I was told the motor was pretty damn fresh when i bought the car.
hey nate!