Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

My story from the first ECHC weekend (very, very, VERY long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My story from the first ECHC weekend (very, very, VERY long)

More hours, cursing, and money went into my first weekend of racing than I want to think about. But finally, the week before our first ECHC race came. And I was getting ready.

There were three things that I needed to close on before the race. The window net, the kill switch, and my medical form. The net and switch I had in hand - so I punted and took the car somewhere to have it done. Picked it up Wednesday - a few hundred dollars poorer but resting a little easier knowing it was correct. Took Thursday and Friday off to get ready. Got the physical done, painstakingly packed the car full of t-shirts, trophies, tools and such, and was ready to go...more or less on time...on Friday afternoon. Picked up MaddMatt (my invaluable crew chief for the weekend) 20 minutes late at 2:20.

The tow down was easy, and reminded me why I'm glad I bought a late model Suburban instead of some busted *** Country Squire station wagon. Room for *everything* plus another person and plenty of beer. The 'burb pulled us all the way to CMP with the A/C on full blast, in leather lined comfort and in stereo. Life was good.

Get to the track and drop off the car and there's bad news. Adam Richman's H4 car is not legal - it's got a Prod car engine in it. This from Scott (the co-director and close friend to me and Adam). The H4 favorite, Alex Muresan, tells me that he wants to pull the cylinder head. Adam says OK, but we need to do that RIGHT NOW when it's still daylight out. Alex is OK with this and I get ready for...well, I didn't quite know.

****. I didn't have the first idea what I would do once the head was off the car. So I go over to Adam and tell him it's time to get to work, and he says to me...

"I'm just $&#^ing with you."

At first I figured he was kidding about tearing it down before the race even started. It was only when he started running away giggling that I realized I'd been had. It was such a well crafted joke that I couldn't help but laugh and applaud.

I of course had the bright idea to stay in Camden (about 20 miles from the track) instead of the local hotel, as last time I was there, the staff went through, and stole, some of my stuff. I'd forgotten it was a 30 minute trip each way though. Hurmph...lesson learned: close to track = good. But far away from friends = less beer, which = good. Matt and I got to the hotel to find that its A/C was busted. By 12:15 we had a functioning room. Great.

Saturday was spent doing a lot of meeting and greeting. Finally got to meet Tom "The Professor" Fowler and the rest of the OPM crew, along with all of the Honda Challenge drivers. I was so busy selling shirts, shaking hands and chatting that I didn't have time to be nervous about anything.

Oh yeah - the driving Possibly since I wasn't nervous...and certainly because I knew the car was in good hands...I went out and ran as fast as I ever had at CMP. I was on the provisional pole in H3 and 5th overall. The weather got hotter and the track slower, so for the afternoon, my 1:55 stood. A pole position in my first race! I admit, I spent a total of probably an hour just staring at the qualifying results.

Then the problems started - protests. I won't go into the details, but let's just say that in our first race, there were two potential protests of cars brewing. As the ECHC "Rules Guy," I ran around like a headless chicken trying to negotiate things between drivers. In the end everything worked out...and I shouldn't have let it bother me. But at the time, being one of the directors of the series, and this being our first day and already a PROTEST...I was a bit frazzled.

I was dealing with one of said protests during Saturday afternoon. To my chagrin, I'm walking toward the grid and I see my car in the grid (thanks Matt) and the grid marshal is giving the 3 minute warning. Umm...phawck. I'm wearing jeans and a cotton shirt right now. Go to truck, get suit, hope to GOD that the helmet and other stuff is in the car (it was). Get dressed in a minute, throwing my clothes into what was for all I know a fire ant hill as I went. I'm sure it looked entertaining. Get into car, and nc-rsx-s cinches down my harnesses as Matt is attaching the window net (which busted during qualifying and is now held in with scrap rollbar padding). Elyse comes by to wish me luck and tell me to "keep my head," and out we go.

Oh ****. It's actually happening - I'm in my first race. I qualified well, the car is right...now what do I do? I wasn't sure I knew. Actually I'm pretty damn sure that I didn't know. So I weaved around to get the worms off the tires, and by around turn 12 it looked like people were starting to get into formation. Um...I think this is where I'm supposed to be. But the first turn is a left hander, and I'm on the right...WTF do I do with that? Guess I'll find out in about 30 seconds.

Green flag drops and I romp on it. And...we're at turn 1. For those who didn't compete, you need to understand the lecture I gave at the drivers meeting about turn 1 lap 1. See, ECHC has a "13-13" rule which basically prohibits car to car contact (see http://www.honda-challenge.com for details). I damn sure didn't want to be the first guy to touch another car...and remember - I've never raced wheel to wheel before. I lost at least four positions at the start. We finally get back in a more or less straight line after turn 3 and I'm thinking (after saying a lot of mental "Thank Gods") that I'm more or less in the clear.

Now how do I get around that car in front of me? And ****...Brinson's right on me. Where's the speed I had in qualifying? How do I get around Adam? How do I keep Brinson behind me without being a dick?

So I just kind of winged it. Got around Adam (I think in 14? I don't remember) and went after Brinson. At this point it was like a driver's school, since I was somewhat by myself...but not really. At all moments, I'm thinking things like: What can I do to go faster? What will I do if I catch him?

I could see that I was gaining ground, but not enough with maybe 5 laps to go. So as soon as I think to myself "Maybe he'll make a mistake..." he goes off in turn 4. Around I go. I'm home free! In the meantime, I'm get to the pit straight and look down at the gauges. Fuel is on E. Umm...uhh...dammit. I had less fuel in the car before the school sessions last weekend, where the #&@^ did it all go? No time to speculate. So I start short shifting the car, knowing Brinson was rather far back after his off. I fuel starve once, briefly, in some corner (honestly don't remember where). He's catching up, and I'm thinking...please people...throw the damn white flag!

And it comes out.

Brinson's gaining ground, I'm fuel starving off and on...and finally decide that I don't want to be "that guy" who has to get flat towed off. So I pitted in. Dumb! In the heat of the moment it didn't occur to me that I had 2nd locked up. All I had to do was cruise to the finish line to take it.

Get finished, get the protest stuff sorted out, and drink a beer with friends. How the hell am I so tired? At most events, I instruct two students...OK, that's two or more hours in a car. Plus an hour for me - that's three. I'm also working on my own car at schools. This weekend I drove two 15 minute practice/qualifying sessions and a 30 minute (OK...28 minutes for me...) race, had Matt crewing for me, had no students...and I'm dead to the world. That's how intense wheel to wheel racing is I suppose - no amount of open tracking can prepare you for this.

We do trophies, and I hand a well deserved trophy to my partner in crime, Scott Giles, for his H3 win. Hand an even more well deserved trophy to the Politis for being our Race Director, Registrar, Pace (truck / wagon / Miata) driver and all around great people. Then it's back to Gus' in Kershaw for pizza, beer, and stories with good friends.

I'll write about Sunday tomorrow - I'm still sleep deprived and recovering from the best weekend I can remember.

(Edit 1: changed "win" to "2nd" for Scott...that bastard)
(Edit 2: Some dumb stuff)

[Modified by krshultz, 11:09 PM 4/22/2002]

[Modified by krshultz, 1:17 AM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 07:07 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (krshultz)

*sniff* A tear comes to my eye......
Old 04-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dumb! In the heat of the moment it didn't occur to me that I'd won. All I had to do was cruise to the finish line to take the win.
Pssst, Karl. Check the results. You finished 2nd on Saturday.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:16 AM
Neo

REALLY nicely done, Karl. Reading these first-hand stories is a very satisfying consolation for those of us who couldn't be there.

How the hell am I so tired? At most events, I instruct two students...OK, that's two or more hours in a car. Plus an hour for me - that's three. I'm also working on my own car at schools. This weekend I drove two 15 minute practice/qualifying sessions and a 30 minute (OK...28 minutes for me...) race, had Matt crewing for me, had no students...and I'm dead to the world. That's how intense wheel to wheel racing is I suppose - no amount of open tracking can prepare you for this.
IMO, the other thing that needs to be factored in here is the level of mental energy you expended getting you, your car, and the entire race series ready. You were also on high alert the whole time you were there with your ECHC safety and rules responsibilities. Bottom line, you probably had ZERO "down time" during which you could chill and not have to worry about anything. That, all by itself, can definitely wear you out. Throw on top of the all of the race & track time, I can only imagine how exhausted you and the others feel.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (Neo)

You were also on high alert the whole time you were there with your ECHC safety and rules responsibilities. Bottom line, you probably had ZERO "down time" during which you could chill and not have to worry about anything.
Maybe a non-racer could do the enforcing to help ease the stress.

Will
Old 04-23-2002, 05:49 AM
.RJ

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (Willard)

Since the HPDE is the weekend before ECHC, i could help out with the race and chit like that during hypeR-fest weekend. I had a blast this weekend, the show you put on was great. I'd help out in any way to make sure it runs so well again.

A bunch of the JMU crowd *should* be there since summit is so close, most of us live in NoVa when we're not at school and i've offered everyone a place to stay who doesnt live so close.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:56 AM
New User

*Repost from another thread*

I think this has some relevence here as well since it is my story from the weekend.

So what did I think? I was amazed. Period. There is no other way to describe it. The ECHC guys were incredible - every one of them. The professionalism and caliber you all showed was top-notch. Not only did you all show us a piece of excellent race driving, you did it without any contact. Clean, competetive racing is something that is hard to find and you guys did it. Walking down the grid before the start of Saturday's race was somewhat emotional for me. I wanted so much to be going out on track with you guys. As I came by and shook your hands I was genuinely glad to be there and to know you guys and even call some of you friends. This is what club racing is all about. A bunch of friends scraping change out from under their couch cushions to pay for their race cars so that they can go out and play together. It doesn't get any better than this . . .

Some of you looked like you were scared ****. I could picture myself jittering like Shultz when I am sitting on the grid at Hyperfest. Others [Giles] looked like they were really concerned about what they were going to have for dinner. No matter what the look was on grid that all changed on track. There were no pussies out there. Every one of you wanted the same thing - to win, and you all showed it with the level of driving you displayed. I can only hope that someday I can be on the same level as you guys.

Jack - You are going to be the one who sets the pace. There is no doubt about that. You have the car and the mAd sKiLlZ y0!

Corey - Make sure you have all your safety equipment somewhere that it won't get locked up. Also - make sure you wear it. If you do that then you will be tough to beat. Watching you drive is a religous experience. Remember us when you are driving a McLaren around Monaco.

Shultz - Once you get used to the whole racing thing you will be a monster. You showed everybody that you can do it - you just need to believe it too. Thanks for being the "rUlEz MaStAh" for this series. Your hard work has paid off in a big way!

Giles - Slow down! Other people want to win once in a while too . . . Thanks for putting this whole thing together!

Brinson - See how much faster you go when your hood stays closed? Great driving this weekend and great sportsmanship as well!

Starnes - Tough break on Saturday. You would have added another element to the already great H2 show had you been able to run on Sunday. I look forward to more of your performances.

Warren - Tighten your camber plates! Bad things happen when you don't! Although it potentially cost you the race on Sunday I commend you for coming in on the black flag. You did the right thing.

Adam - Even if you made a mistake we couldn't tell. You are smooth as glass and you are only going to get better.

Bookler - You are a hell of a driver but please leave the singing for someone else . . .

Here are my awards for the weekend:

The "Hard Luck" award goes to Corey. After missing all but his cool-down lap in Sunday's first qualifier he then lost his chances in the race because he forgot to put his gloves on. First runner-up goes to Shultz for running out of gas with the checker in sight and the second runner-up goes to Brinson for following Shultz into the pit instead of taking the checker for second in H3.

The "Bonzai" award goes to Lyonel "I Never Saw A Hole I Didn't Like" Kent who made it very clear to us that you can still make a pass or save a position even if you run out of pavement.

The "My Car Feels Wierd" award goes to Warren. Anyone who saw his tire from Saturday knows why he gets this one . . .

The "Please god - make it stop!" award goes to Bookler after he sang for the SCCS guys.

Thanks for the show guys! I look forward to joining you all at Summit Point in June!
Old 04-23-2002, 08:17 AM
New User

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (Cobra)

I'll add to your thread Karl.

First off, I had a great time. This was my first time at a NASA weekend and even so, it seemed I knew just about as many people on site as at our other events. Every one was so nice and so full of energy that made the atmosphere very pleasant. It was very cool meeting so many of you I've seen on this board! I do have one slight "regret" though. Even though I briefly met Karl once last year, I think last weekend I might have made a too strong first impression with that funny as hell joke (that was NOT my idea!!!). lol I hope that one of Karl's remarks "I thought that guy (Alex) was cool, but... &$#@ !" he said in the middle of Friday's joke as we're getting ready to tear up Adam's car apart that was still on the trailer, did not leave a permanent mark.

Having had almost the whole car put back together in the final few days before the event, our goal was to have a "bug" free running car at the end of the weekend that was still on pace with what we were expecting. 10 minutes into Friday's test session we lost the oil pressure gauge.. not a good thing in hot weekend. It was a bad sensor and we didn't have a spare so we ran the whole weekend with eyes glued on the oil temp and oil level. We took turns doing as many shake down laps as we could while playing with the shocks on Friday and ended up running 58s in "test" trim by the end of the day. That was "ok" since when we were here last year we got in the high 57s with Louis' car on a drying track running toyos. So Saturday morning came, put on good brakes, bled them and put on good tires. First session came and the car felt perfect. It had a very nice neutral handling on these newer tires, so we went all out that session. We made four laps in the 54s with the best at 1:54.3. That was right on target since we expected the crx to be around 1.5 seconds quicker around CMP than what we ran with the type r last year in the dry. But after every session so far, we noticed a little bit of oil on the bottom of the oil pan and on several other places. It was far from being an oil "leak", and it just required some cleaning. After about 4-5 sessions we had on the car so far, it didn't get any worse. Then came the race. We were all curious to see how the car would last for 12 laps. Well the pace lap was all it could take on Saturday. I heard over the radio that the car was smoking, then confirmed it in the mirror. We were SO close to taking the green but then I had a flash back of how much some oil on the track can really screw everything up. I decided to come in to have it checked out. Well good thing because now oil was actually slowly dripping under the car. We decided to look a little closer at the problem before putting the car on the trailer and heading home. But with some guidance from Tom F. and the master mechanic (dad) sitting under the car for a few good hours after the race on Saturday, the problem was traced to a cracked brass fitting in the block... no doubt caused by a previous incident. With the stock unit in place, there was no trace of oil. The car was fixed! My dad insisted that I run Sunday's race and with the thought of not driving (let alone racing!) until mid August, I finally conceited.

On Sunday we switched pads for qualifying, but for some reason even after bleeding the brakes to death the brake pedal would still fall to the floor with the engine turned on. We think the master cylinder is going. I saved up for one hot lap in qualifying and ended up with a slightly slower 54.9, but was still good for 4th again. With Jack out front by more than a second, 2nd though 7th on the grid I think were separated by just a half a second or so. It looked like a real close race, but I arrived on grid at the 1 minute call and thanks to cobra (I believe), I didn't start from dead last and went and regained my position. Problem was that the hatch wouldn't close!! So finally my dad rolled out the "quick fix for everything" - everyone's friend the duct tape - and taped the hatch shut. With Blake beside me on the second row we made plans before the race to make a CRX blockade at the start. At the start, of course we were very nice, but even if we tried we probably couldn't keep that crazy red prelude from blowing both our doors off by turn 1! It was hot outside and after only 2-3 laps the oil temps edged past 240. With an oil pressure gauge this most likely would have been ok, but without one it was safest to just take it easier for the remainder of the race. I tried to keep out of the way of the inter-class battles going on and just make the car get to the finish with its oil temps and brakes. (The brakes actually lasted better than I thought.) When I saw Warren in the mirror charging up towards the end I couldn't help but have a little fun going side by side in the autox section, with him finally going by in turn 1. By the middle of the race the oil temps dropped back to 240 and the car went the whole 12 laps without surprises. Mission accomplished: the rex is BACK and most likely faster than it has ever been before. On top of that we had a whole lot of fun throughout the weekend. (I still don't remember what that Italian dish was called at gus's... so *don't* ask!) lol

Big 's to NASA! Talking with Tom, we were amazed at some of the great qualities. These guys really don't waste ANY time in between sessions. I actually found it hard to get ready to be on grid on schedule for every session because they were always on time! Trophy girls and having session results brought personally to you just minutes after climbing out of the car were really very pleasant surprises. I saw a LOT of enthusiasm and energy this weekend and if this is typical of NASA, I am impressed. I'm sorry I don't remember a name, but whoever checked for my socks at impound after Sunday's race, I'm sorry for wearing my cotton socks! lol I guess this fun (different) weekend atmosphere threw me off a little. I will remember next time.

So who's next?

edit: just wanted to add in that even though I thought I had Karl beat on the length, I'm not even close!

[Modified by Hracer, 12:29 PM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-23-2002, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (Hracer)

Alex, you ran a 1:54.3 in an ITA CRX? AND you were trying to save the car?
Geez!
Slow down!

--Chris, who needs to do some work to keep from finishing an H1 car behind an H4.

[Modified by madhatter, 12:35 PM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-23-2002, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (madhatter)

Trying to "save the car"?!?! OMG I think you might be a bigger sandbagger/liar then Giles.

SPiFF takes a quick peek at the results. ``Faster'' cars who qualified behind Alex's H4 CRX:

3 H2 cars
ALL the H3 cars
3 H1 cars

OMG!
Old 04-23-2002, 08:49 AM
New User

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (madhatter)

No no, relax. In qualifying I was not saving anything. That was the period to see if the car had the speed in it. Keeping up a fast pace in a race is the second part of the equation of a fast racecar, but to even start to work on that you need to know the car has speed to begin with. A good setup, mistake free driving, etc.. is what you need for a fast pace. After about 6-7 laps the crx had developed some really really bad understeer for some reason. I felt like I was sweeping every turn with the front tires in the last half of the race, so we definitely have to work on a more loose car setup to start a race with. Doing a few fast back to back laps is just the beginning of having a fast car, but we're working on it.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Wrong-Way Wang

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (Hracer)

Hey Alex, I had a blast racing w/ you. T1 pass huh? See, I don't even remember where or who all I passed those last few laps. If there was a gap, I was gonna try to make it fit

I went about 15 degrees full throttle slideways after the bump in the kink once. I thought that was right in front of you, but if not, then who did I scare the crap out of?

Warren
Old 04-23-2002, 08:55 AM
New User

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (Warren)

Nah, once you got me in 1 you left me too fast for me to check you out in the kink. I would have loved to have seen it though and I would have caught it on camera, too!
Old 04-23-2002, 09:06 AM

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (George Knighton)

Karl, please accept my heartiest congratulations to you and Scott on pulling this off.

It was a lot of stress and a huge headache, but the community appreciates it very much.

I'll see you at Summit.
I'll second that big to Karl and Scott.

I cant wait to watch in person,and/or race myself.

I watched some of the video from COreys car, all I can say is AWESOME!! The "KID" has come along way. Yack better watch his **** at Summit

Bryan
Old 04-23-2002, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (BryanSprinkel)

AAwwww chit, j00 calling me out..stunna??
Old 04-23-2002, 09:56 AM

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (B18CXr)

well, Im calling you 0ut on Corey’s behalf. I am not fortunate enough to participate, just yet

Bryan
Old 04-23-2002, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (BryanSprinkel)

Thanks for asking me for my approvial of this calling out...

Corey-who has to worry about Alex, not Jack....
Old 04-23-2002, 06:06 PM
New User

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (George Knighton)

I guess this would be a good time to put down my thoughts and experiences from this weekend.........

I really didn't know what to expect over all when Corey, Warren, and I set out on friday morning. Was this gonna be a wasted trip without me driving? Was I just gonna get in the way? Was it going to be everything I wanted and hoped it would?

Well, the weekend surpassed all my expectations. First off, Karl and Scott have created something that I do not believe anyone realizes the potential of. I had goosebumps standing in between Corey's and Scott's car at grid knowing i was in some way a part, all though be it small, of a really awesome thing. Congratulations you guys on what I consider more than a successful weekend.
There was more cheering and excitement for the ECHC race than any other of the day, and these guys put on a show. More than half the field were rookie drivers I believe and they were running 10/10ths and beyond like they had been doing it for years.
Sunday rolls around and it is the same thing all over again. Awesome racing and awesome people. I really didn't get to meet half of the people there because, well, I am a bit shy and reserved, and I regret that.
i will say that I do not think anyone on track drove as hard as Corey and Warren did in the last race. H2 was going to be the battle to watch, and everyone knew it. Corey and Warren were running cars down like they were on fire. Corey went completely sideways through the kink, we could here and see him across the track, and didn't even seem to slow down
Now all I can think about is getting the Accord ready to put on the track with these guys. I don't even care if I can win or be competitive,well maybe a little, I just want to drive with these guys.
I could type forever about how proud I am to know you guys and be a little part of this but I will refrain. I will just smile and think of the cheers that went out when everyone made it through turn one on the start of Saturdays race.
Congratulations to everyone, and if you missed this weekend, well you missed the start of something great.

Morgan - who almost had tears of joy at grid of the first race and almost had tears of laughter at the ensuing trophy presentation/party
Old 04-23-2002, 06:43 PM
New User

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (urbanlegend21)

..and if you missed this weekend, well you missed the start of something great.
That's why I had to be there!
Old 04-24-2002, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My story from the first ECHC weekend (urbanlegend21)

I am a bit shy and reserved, and I regret that

I'll never believe that!!!!