Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

My SCCA RANT

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My SCCA RANT

So, local guy here in charleston wants to start racing, a friend. His cage isn't in yet, so I offer him my car to do the SCCA School at Roebling Road Feb. 11-13, 2005.

Justin emails everyone, gets on the phone, tells them what is going on. He informs them that he will be using a HONDA CHALLENGE car for the school. Everything is approved.

First we put in over 20 hours getting the car ready, going over it, putting kirk seat in, brace etc, new belt, new window net, etc list goes on, you know what goes into doing that. Get a new windsheild put in, get the car alligned etc....TONS OF WORK getting it perfect.

Anyways....he gets down there on thursday does the classroom, shows up and waits in the tech like for 2 hours.

THEY WON"T PASS THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he has my NASA Log book....

NOPE CAN"T PASS THIS....YOU HAVE NO CLASS TO RACE IN!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF????

DO they not want racers? I can not believe this crap....car is ready....i'm more pissed than justin is!!!!! scca PULL YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My SCCA RANT (chad)

do they have ITE there?

s
Old 02-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, does it meet the ITE or SPU rules? If not, then they have a point. Did he bother to ask beforehand (with enough specificity to be sure they would allow an H1 car)? If not, he gets the *hammer*
Old 02-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear that Chad.

From what I've heard, for a "school" they'd mostly be concerned about safety aspects.
That being said I'd think ITE or SPU would be an appropriate class for your car in SCCA.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (zygspeed)

It should have gone as an SPU car.. Thats really poor decision making on their part if they couldnt get it sorted out and turned someone away because of it
Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (Want2race)

Except the SU class must meet Production/GT safety rules - fuel cell, etc. Don't think Chad has a fuel cell. The safety rules change by class - if the car isn't classed, then how would they know which safety rules to use?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (Crack Monkey)

we have been told via email that if you have a log booked car for another series you can race under SPU and don't need the CELL or the CAGE mod's.....

this was stated in emails to the officials before justin signed up for the school....

then when he gets there...they F him!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2005, 07:30 AM

now i find out....one of the old fart sniffers in the tech line said....

and i quote (second hand quote from justin) "I WON"T PASS THAT CAR TILL IT IS WASHED!!!"

what an AHOLE.....what the hell....i just washed that car last week cause we had a meet at the shop and i wanted my car blinging for the meet....less than one week later and it is too dirty.....MY *** IT WAS TOO DIRTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now i find out....one of the old fart sniffers in the tech line said....

and i quote (second hand quote from justin) "I WON"T PASS THAT CAR TILL IT IS WASHED!!!"

what an AHOLE.....what the hell....i just washed that car last week cause we had a meet at the shop and i wanted my car blinging for the meet....less than one week later and it is too dirty.....MY *** IT WAS TOO DIRTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you serious? is that a legitimate reason not to pass a car for tech, even in extreme cases?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you serious? is that a legitimate reason not to pass a car for tech, even in extreme cases? </TD></TR></TABLE>

in an extreme case yes....he will be back at the shop in 2 hours....i will take pictures and post them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will all think it is a show freaking car!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe SCCA should get into politics sounds like they do a good job at it
Old 02-11-2005, 08:03 AM
r2x

I have to ask why your friend didn't print the e-mails from whoever he contacted at the SCCA that said it would be OK for him to use your car. Bad move. Perhaps they wouldn't pass him at tech, put perhaps they thought it was a grey area (or something) and decided they didn't want it on their heads to let him run. It's still a bummer from your friend.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Trial User

Can we limit Chad to 3 exlamation points per sentence, pls?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (Crack Monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crack Monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Except the SU class must meet Production/GT safety rules - fuel cell, etc. Don't think Chad has a fuel cell. The safety rules change by class - if the car isn't classed, then how would they know which safety rules to use?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ITE would seem a pretty safe bet then.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (El Pollo Diablo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El Pollo Diablo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can we limit Chad to 3 exlamation points per sentence, pls? </TD></TR></TABLE>

NO!!!!....i'm pissed!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that's frickin' homo... i did my SCCA comp school in my H1 car!

if they would have tried to pull that crap on me... poop would have hit the fan
Old 02-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a broader lesson here...that applies to all of life:

When Person-A tells you "it will be alright"...

and Person-B is actually in charge of whether it will actually be alright...

DON'T base your actions on what Person-A tells you.

Scott, who says "and watch out for Person-B too...they might forget what they told you before"...when you're getting fucked over left and right, remember: your attitude is the only thing you can control. Good luck with that.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (Hunter)

Sounds like some form of NASA vs. SCCA conflict/politics to me.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like some form of NASA vs. SCCA conflict/politics to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

should have said it was a honda cup car
Old 02-11-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (Hunter)

I've seen SCCA folks turn newbies away at events (and have had it happen to me) for various reasons, all of which seemed very unfair and not conducive to growing the sport, at the time. I don't know what the answers are, but you at least have my sympathy.
-Adam
Old 02-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like some form of NASA vs. SCCA conflict/politics to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldn't make that assumption. I think it's unfair for you and chad to characterize all of SCCA like that. I highly doubt that would have happened in this region. Maybe the tech inspector doesn't agree with the safety items that the car doesn't have but classing it in SPU. They have to have more points to the cage ( i believe), fire system, fuel cell etc. I dunno. I ran an ITA car in ITE once but our tech inspector is a great guy and will go above and beyond the call of duty. Either way it sucks. There was no other course of action? Did you try to talk to the chief steward of the event?

s
Old 02-11-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (CRX Toad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe SCCA should get into politics sounds like they do a good job at it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you heard the phrase, "don't throw out the baby with the bathwater"?

Chad I feel for you man, what a PITA! I really think it depends on who's teching your car, and I don't necessarily agree that the SCCA as a whole is to blame.

For instance, one of the guys teching my brother-in-law's car last year said that his front spoiler was illegal. Turns out the guy also ran a 1st gen RX-7, and apparently either had his head up his ***, or was completely threatened by a car that might be faster. I don't know what his issue was, but the car was legal. My point, is this isn't necessarily the "SCCA" as a whole, but more of one A-hole. I'm sure there are people who enjoy power tripping in any club.

You must also take responsibility for finding out what class your car would fit into. Did you do this? If so you would have been able to argue who ever was teching the car.

I don't really know for sure, but can you perform an engine swap and be legal for ITE? Somehow I'm thinking that this was their major problem. If this is the case then sorry to hear about the misfortune, but dude this was up to you to find out before-hand.

Here's a link to where the SCCA rulebook resides:
http://www.scca.com/Club/Index...0|070&~=

Old 02-11-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (emwavey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emwavey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You must also take responsibility for finding out what class your car would fit into. Did you do this? If so you would have been able to argue who ever was teching the car.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the car is classed SPU and is allowed to run without the CELL and without the extra Points because it is a cross over car....

All of this was cleared via email before we even thought about having justin use my car for the school!!!

with whoever the email person contact is....justin is on his way back to charleston as i type....first thing i will do is take a picture of the car.....IT AINT DIRTY!!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (emwavey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emwavey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I don't really know for sure, but can you perform an engine swap and be legal for ITE? Somehow I'm thinking that this was their major problem. If this is the case then sorry to hear about the misfortune, but dude this was up to you to find out before-hand.

Here's a link to where the SCCA rulebook resides:
http://www.scca.com/Club/Index...0|070&~=</TD></TR></TABLE>

I *believe* to be in ITE the car had to be log booked and classed by another series and doesn't fit into any of the other classes offerred. So hence, an H1 car could be in ITE. If it's a hybrid and not previously logbooked I don't think you can just class it in SPU, I believe it would have to meet SPU rules or have a log book and classing from another organzition. Chad's car did meet that but doesn't sound like they have ITE in that region (ITE is optional on a regional basis). Maybe they don't agree putting the car in SPU, I dunno.

s
Old 02-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My SCCA RANT (stevel)

Chad, I dont have an SCCA GCR in front of me (and haven't for more than a decade), but I would think it would clearly qualify as an ITE car.

Trying to get in as an SPU w/o meeting all the rules of that class is a real crap shoot, especially if it doesn't meet all the written GCR requirements.
Furthermore, its just for a school, so as long as you can get it "in" one class or another shouldn't be a big deal as long as the driver is able to enter the car, pass tech, and get a school/license under his belt.

Quick Reply: My SCCA RANT